Shadowing a D.O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soby10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to start shadowing a DO I'm applying this cycle and don't no where to start. Do I just cold call offices and ask if they are willing? How many hours is desired?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to start shadowing a DO I'm applying this cycle and don't no where to start. Do I just cold call offices and ask if they are willing? How many hours is desired?

Cold call or send emails/letters. Enough hours to get you a LOR. It's up to the person you're shadowing.

http://cf.osteopathic.org/iLearn/index.cfm?pageid=ment_exchange&page=Exchange

Check out this website. Made to bring together DOs willing to mentor, and students looking for a shadow/letter. Email a lot of doctors though, it takes a while to find someone willing. Good luck.

If that doesn't work, try volunteering at a hospital and then once you become familiar with a doctor, go up to him/her and ask to shadow them a few hours per week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find finding a DO to shadow and willing to write an LOR is as hard as trying to catch a mewtwo without a masterball.

I would locate a few docs, then set a day aside and dress up professionally and drop by their offices and talk to them. It will be more effective than calling them up.

I called 3 and left messages with the secretary or talked to them directly. 2 of them were willing, but one didn't work out schedule-wise. It wasn't hard at all

I am having problems finding a DO many of them said they can not allow me to shadow due to privacy issues

I am having problems finding a DO many of them said they can not allow me to shadow due to privacy issues

That will happen usually with any doctor, especially in hospitals due to HIPAA privacy regulations. It may be easier to shadow a DO, or any physician, in a private practice setting.

Look to see if your school has a mentor program, if not you can contact your states osteopathic association and they will most likely have a mentor program.

As far as how long you need to shadow, enough that the doctor will feel like they know you enough to write the letter but also so that you can talk about it if it comes up during your interviews.

Does anyone know of a DO that is willing to have a student shadow in NYC area?