Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Shadowing a DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mrsmac, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mrsmac

mrsmac Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys,

I usually post on the reapplicant forum but I had a question that needed to go here. I have made contact with a DO concerning shadowing her. For those of you who have done this, how long did you do it? I'd like to do it for the summer (June/July) twice per week. Is that too much? too little? Also, how was your experience?? Thanks in advance for the input.

mrsmac

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

I don't think that there is really too much shadowing that you can do. The more you shadow the better the DO will get to know you and the better LOR they will write. I only shadowed the DO that wrote my letter a few times, but I have known her for a really long time as she works with my grandmother and was my PC doc for about 10 years. My experience was very good overall. I got to observe the structure of a PC doc's day as well as observe how she interacted with patients. She is very adept at gauging problems with the people that she sees. I think that I learned a lot from her. Unfortunately she does not practice OMM so I was unable to see that in action, but I plan on observing a colleague of hers that uses it a lot to see what it is all about.

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Whatever you and the DO are comfortable. I know people who only did it for a month and a number of people who did it for 4 months. The time length is really up to you. Have fun!!

5. AUdacious

AUdacious ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Like they said, I dont think you can shadow too much. I shadowed a D.O. in family practice for about 8 months and then various other fields for varying amounts of time; I thought that the experience was extremely rewarding. Like everything else, it is what you make of it. One of my friends shadowed the same physician and said that she just stood there and followed him all day. I asked questions after seeing the patients and asked if I could help with anything. I got to take blood pressures and get the patient's history, which was cool. Then, he was constantly teaching me things. Once you show an interest, you will be surprised to find that most people enjoy teaching you. He was awesome. He would get excited and draw me these huge diagrams of how a drug worked. Great experience that I will never forget. When you start shadowing, just remember that. Always look and act professionally and you will be allowed to do a lot more than you ever thought you would. Don't be afraid to ask questions, just dont do it in front of the patient. Also, keep a log of the dates and times you shadowed, especially if you cant shadow for a long time length. It may be better to say how many hours you shadowed rather than how long you shadowed (months-wise). Good luck.

6. DaveinDallas

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Must be rough. Those that I have asked locally, even one's I've known for a while, are giving me the 'No can do, G.I. - HIPPA (sp?) and all that stuff'.....
    One even mentioned that med schools are having trouble getting their students in to shadow at hospitals due to the HIPPA....

How did you get around that?

7. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

When I started shadowing, I had to take this online HIPAA course that took FOREVER and then sign a bunch of paperwork.

8. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    shadowed 5-8 physicians last year before I applied and I only signed a hippa form ONCE. That was for a peds physician. I could understand that one! other than that we always jsut got verbal consent before we entered.

9. bgworm

bgworm Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Shadowed a Do for about three months in the ER. I just showed up after volunteering in som eprofessional looking clothes and he introduced me as a student observing him. Never signed any HIPAA stuff he just asked if they minded me being in the room and if they said "no" I could stay and observe. I think only one person refused.
    If you find a nice DO who'll take some time to get to know you you can get a strong LOR in a short time.

10. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

Wow, you lucked out on that stuff. I am going to be shadowing in the local ER and I have to adhere to a very strict dress code (black/dk gray/navy slacks or ankle length skirts...), sign a Confidentiality waiver, have a two step PPD and was supposed to go through training on HIPPA (but I got a waiver bc I worked previously as Release of Info and Patient Advocate for the same hospital).

11. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I shadowed mine for only 5 hours. Yes, that is short, but I had to drive almost 150 miles to do it. He was the only DO who responded :( but I did have a great time. :)

12. kudzu

kudzu Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I too only shadowed for around 5-8 hours before getting a good LOR, I have since maintained a good relationship with him, and even sent friends to shadow with him. The key is to find out what doctors in your area are affiliated with rotation sites, or offer rotations. My doc participated in FP rotations, and as a result I had the added benefit of having 3rd and 4th year students to "shadow" as well as ask questions. The students were from all over, UMDNJ-SOM, Kirksville, UNE-COM, even Mt. Sinai(Allo). All in all, a very good experience, and I've already lined up an elective rotation for myself!!