Shadowing a doc/some other EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzamaker

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Currently I am volunteering in the ER in a hospital (as my only clinical experience), I am applying this June so I got about 6 months to start something else as an EC just to make my application a little stronger, what do you guys suggest? Shadow a doctor, go in on an open heart surgery (if they let me), so what do you guys suggest and how do I get that position. B/c I have no clue on how to apply for a shadow a physician position or anything else, the hospital was pretty self-explanatory, but took me 2 months, stupid blood work TB X-ray, etc, anyways rambling on so any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteer in a free medical clinic and the ER.

You also need to shadow in addition to doing other clinical things.

I just called MDs and asked them if I could shadow. My med school hooked me up too!

You also need to volunteer over several years in places.

I would like to volunteer over a year, but time is against me at this point. I only have 6 months left and having something for 6 months might be better than not having it :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to volunteer over a year, but time is against me at this point. I only have 6 months left and having something for 6 months might be better than not having it :laugh:

I was just talking in general too.

For you, just keep at it. You can update later in the fall so it will be closer to a year.

Definitely get something going... especially shadowing.

Oh you can update your profile after you have submitted? How's that done? Do I send them my updated transcript and updated EC's? :D

Oh you can update your profile after you have submitted? How's that done? Do I send them my updated transcript and updated EC's? :D

You should definitely list one of your ECs as "Pizza Maker". How cool would that be! :D

How'd you guess my favorite EC and food ;)

Last edited:

yes. I have not done it yet since I apply this summer so I am not exactly sure how it works.

But, I imagine that it is not that hard to do.