shadowing a dr. this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcqueen81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be shadowing a dr. this summer near my home. The dr. is a friend of the family, and i believe that he is willing to write me a letter of recommendation. How valuable do you think this letter would be in applying to MD programs?

Members don't see this ad.

mcqueen81 said:
I will be shadowing a dr. this summer near my home. The dr. is a friend of the family, and i believe that he is willing to write me a letter of recommendation. How valuable do you think this letter would be in applying to MD programs?

I think a recommendation would be a good asset. Med schools want to know that you have clinical experience and at least have some idea of what a doctor's day is like. As long as you also get a lot out of the experience and are able to discuss it come interview time I think it should be fine.

mcqueen81 said:

Yes, every bit of experience you get will be valuable, but I like what Kevin said. Will it be valuable to you? Instead of looking at it as how well it will help your application, try to look at it from the aspect of just what you may learn from it.

I am also going to shadow a dr. this summer.
I had a meeting with my in-state Admissions director, and she told me that I should shadow a dr. and get a LOR from the dr. she said that my last LOR weren't as strong, and shaodwing and LOR from a dr. would strenghten my application.