shadowing a pediatric cardiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kypreos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I just got off the phone with the first doc thats gonna let me spend the day with him. The only thing is he sounded like he wanted it to be a one day only type thing. Im very interested in this specialty and so im naturally really excited, he said why dont come up here one day and spend a day and ill show you what bieng a pediatric cardiologist is all about. Now im thinking to myself "i wanna spend more then one day? i mean 1 day is gonna look like crap on apps. How am I gonna get a letter of rec when i cant even build a relationship with this doc and on top of that 1 day! this sux" he is around 45 minutes from where I live, he was asking me all types of questions like when are you applying etc. and on top of that my dog started to bark in the background and he NEVER friggin barks it was driving me nutz. he could so tell i was distracted on the phone. he seems like a really nice guy but how do i get to shadow him for more then one day? It is SO hard to get to shadow a doc 2, I have been calling offices for 3 straight weeks and no bites. He's not a DO which sucks but at this point I have to take what I can get here. damn....this just sucks

Members don't see this ad.

uhh...just ask him if you can come back for a few more days?
tell him that you're really interested in his field and would like to learn more about it
sounds like you're freaking out about nothing

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the first doc thats gonna let me spend the day with him. The only thing is he sounded like he wanted it to be a one day only type thing. Im very interested in this specialty and so im naturally really excited, he said why dont come up here one day and spend a day and ill show you what bieng a pediatric cardiologist is all about. Now im thinking to myself "i wanna spend more then one day? i mean 1 day is gonna look like crap on apps. How am I gonna get a letter of rec when i cant even build a relationship with this doc and on top of that 1 day! this sux" he is around 45 minutes from where I live, he was asking me all types of questions like when are you applying etc. and on top of that my dog started to bark in the background and he NEVER friggin barks it was driving me nutz. he could so tell i was distracted on the phone. he seems like a really nice guy but how do i get to shadow him for more then one day? It is SO hard to get to shadow a doc 2, I have been calling offices for 3 straight weeks and no bites. He's not a DO which sucks but at this point I have to take what I can get here. damn....this just sucks

Assume that he will not want you there for more than a day. If he lets you, after you ask him, then great. But if not, don't be surprised, and don't be irritated with him. Depending on the specialty and the doc, it might be a big deal for him to let you come follow him around for a day, and I hope you are appreciative. Please don't take this the wrong way--I'm not coming down on you. Just know that most docs won't let you shadow--thus your frustration. Make sure the one who does let you knows he is appreciated.

Okay, back to your dilemma. Bring your materials (Résumé, Transcripts, Personal Statement, etc.) and, if this ends up being the only time he wants you to shadow, ask him for a letter. Tell him that you know he doesn't know you that well, but ask if he'd feel comfortable writing a letter anyway. Give him all of those materials to make it easier for him. If he says NO, don't be shocked, and be grateful for the experience, nonetheless.

This isn't just about padding your applications. This is much more than that. One day of shadowing can change you, if you've never done it before. It's important for your apps, as well as your motivation, personal statement, and interviews. Also, since you've never shadowed before, you may be unaware of this fact: Shadowing can be very boring, depending on the environment/doc/patients/specialty/etc. So don't be too bummed. If you love the day you spend with him but he doesn't want you to come back, ask if he has any colleagues who might be willing to let you shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assume that he will not want you there for more than a day. If he lets you, after you ask him, then great. But if not, don't be surprised, and don't be irritated with him. Depending on the specialty and the doc, it might be a big deal for him to let you come follow him around for a day, and I hope you are appreciative. Please don't take this the wrong way--I'm not coming down on you. Just know that most docs won't let you shadow--thus your frustration. Make sure the one who does let you knows he is appreciated.
Oh I am extremely appreciative no doubt Im actually honored that he is in a specialty that I am interested in studying. I would much rather not have him write a letter for me if i only shadow him one day. How can you get a legit lor if the doctor doesnt get to know you at least a little bit.
Okay, back to your dilemma. Bring your materials (Résumé, Transcripts, Personal Statement, etc.) and, if this ends up being the only time he wants you to shadow, ask him for a letter. Tell him that you know he doesn't know you that well, but ask if he'd feel comfortable writing a letter anyway. Give him all of those materials to make it easier for him. If he says NO, don't be shocked, and be grateful for the experience, nonetheless.
Yeah I'm always a pretty polite guy lol just freaking out a little that im applying in june and dont have one LOR b4 app season, this isnt al about my app, I want the experience as well so if he says no to me comming back I probobly wont ask for a LOR.
This isn't just about padding your applications. This is much more than that. One day of shadowing can change you, if you've never done it before. It's important for your apps, as well as your motivation, personal statement, and interviews. Also, since you've never shadowed before, you may be unaware of this fact: Shadowing can be very boring, depending on the environment/doc/patients/specialty/etc. So don't be too bummed. If you love the day you spend with him but he doesn't want you to come back, ask if he has any colleagues who might be willing to let you shadow.
i'm def. gonna keep looking around, I dunno about asking if one of his colleagues ill probobly just circle through the whole thing again and try the mentor program again to see if I can find a doc.
I dunno 4 me If I was a doc I would love it if people wanted to shadow me, maybe im just wierd who knows. I didnt mean to come off as a jerk it was an impulse post that came off the wrong way, im just nervous about the whole process bc unlike a lot of other applicants I know ZERO doctors on a personal basis and I know that this is important. c bear youve been a great help and thanx a lot

Most of my shadowing was 1 or 2 day deals. Different specialties. MDs and DOs. Nobody mentioned it as being a problem.
and you asked for an LOR right away? damn...I just wanted it to be longer, how much can you learn and how much of an experience can you get from 1 day?

Just like C-Bear said, bring a resume and transcript. My brother just got done shadowing a physician who only let him shadow for one day for eight hours. he observed two surgeries and when the day was over the physician asked him for a resume so that he could write a letter for the pre health committee. My brother faxed him a resume and two weeks later called our schools pre health committee ( he goes to the same school as me) and found out that the physician wrote a letter for him and sent it in. Not only did he get a letter of reference, but after shadowing, he seemed to be much more interested in the field of medicine--he couldn't stop talking about the surgeries for a while.

One of the DO doctors I shadowed only gave me 5 hrs. It is not that unusual. They are doing you a favor. So, they can limit it if they want to. I also met another DO who was very kind and let me do 20. Actually, I can go back for more but I think I watched enough Orthopedic surgery.:) Ready for something different. He is also very busy with med students but still made time for me - an unknown, non-trad, non-white Mom! Nice doctors do exist. And yes, this same doc took an hour out of his busy schedule on my first or second day to sit down with me to learn more about me and write a LOR. I asked for the meeting though.

Last edited:
Oh he made a HUGE sacrifice for me. He works at a teaching hospitol and always has residents with him so he is DEF. taking time out of his schedule for Me so i am really appreciative. Should I bring all of the materials with me? or Should I send it to him if he asks for it. bringing it with me seems like im pressuring him a little and i just wanna enjoy my time there ya know? plus were would I keep it etc. i dunno. i guess Ill ask him when the day is done if I can come back another day if not then ill ask him if he can write me a LOR. I guess I was wrong about the fact that people usually shadow for multiple hours.

thanx a lot for all of your responses

Oh he made a HUGE sacrifice for me. He works at a teaching hospitol and always has residents with him so he is DEF. taking time out of his schedule for Me so i am really appreciative. Should I bring all of the materials with me? or Should I send it to him if he asks for it. bringing it with me seems like im pressuring him a little and i just wanna enjoy my time there ya know? plus were would I keep it etc. i dunno. i guess Ill ask him when the day is done if I can come back another day if not then ill ask him if he can write me a LOR. I guess I was wrong about the fact that people usually shadow for multiple hours.

thanx a lot for all of your responses

Bring the stuff with you and leave it in your car. Unless you're not driving yourself. Are you? Then if it's needed (he agrees to write it), bring said stuff inside.

You weren't wrong, per se, about shadowing for multiple hours/sessions. It's just that there's a huge gradient of normalcy with shadowing. Whether it's attire, exposure, liability restrictions, willingness to write a letter, time spent with each doc, and a lot of other variables, there's a huge acceptable range that you'll experience if you shadow enough docs. :)

non-white Mom!

WTF??:mad:

OP, I was also concerned that all of the DOs that I was able to shadowed only wanted it to be a one day experience. I only shadowed the DO that wrote my LOR for 7.5 hours. So don't worry and good Luck.