Shadowing after amcas submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

givesumacceptpls

Reaction score
What do adcoms think about lack of shadowing on the primary, but then adding/updating hours on the secondary, and then during interview if asked?

Members don't see this ad.

why would you apply without having a necessary activity completed?
What if it's complete, but barely, and additional shadowing hours are then completed?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do adcoms think about lack of shadowing on the primary, but then adding/updating hours on the secondary, and then during interview if asked?
Shadowing is an essential activity, but one that can be completed very rapidly in large chunks of time. Why not hold off on applying so you can spend a week getting in forty hours of primary care physician shadowing to "check the box" so to speak?

Reactions: 1 users
Projected hours are just that: projected. Unless you already show continuation of a pattern, projecting significant hours can simply look like you are trying to fill in large hole after the last minute.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean projected hours. I didn't project anything.
What I mean is that I completed 45 hours that was included on my AMCAS application, but what if I complete 30 more before I interview (and it was never mentioned or projected in any way)? What then? Can I inform the schools in any way, or is this now only pertinent to my 2020-21 application should I need to reapply?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean projected hours. I didn't project anything.
What I mean is that I completed 45 hours that was included on my AMCAS application, but what if I complete 30 more before I interview (and it was never mentioned or projected in any way)? What then? Can I inform the schools in any way, or is this now only pertinent to my 2020-21 application should I need to reapply?
By completing 45 shadowing hours, you will have fulfilled the expectations of the vast majority of med schools, especially if you included a primary care doc. Anything extra is gravy. You can "inform schools" about the added hours on Secondaries, in update letters where allowed, and during interview conversations if it comes up.

Reactions: 1 user
Some will let you update them and even encourage it, Creighton my med school for example. Others will not allow any updates. As long as you have some primary care in your 45 hours you should be fine