• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Shadowing after amcas submission

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
    What if it's complete, but barely, and additional shadowing hours are then completed?
    I've heard that adcoms give more weight to completed hours vs. projected.

Projected hours are just that: projected. Unless you already show continuation of a pattern, projecting significant hours can simply look like you are trying to fill in large hole after the last minute.

Reactions: 1 users

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 4, 2006
    The Other Side of the Portal
    1. Attending Physician
      What do adcoms think about lack of shadowing on the primary, but then adding/updating hours on the secondary, and then during interview if asked?
      Shadowing is an essential activity, but one that can be completed very rapidly in large chunks of time. Why not hold off on applying so you can spend a week getting in forty hours of primary care physician shadowing to "check the box" so to speak?

Reactions: 1 users

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
      Dec 30, 2017
      1. Pre-Medical
        Projected hours are just that: projected. Unless you already show continuation of a pattern, projecting significant hours can simply look like you are trying to fill in large hole after the last minute.
        I'm sorry, I didn't mean projected hours. I didn't project anything.
        What I mean is that I completed 45 hours that was included on my AMCAS application, but what if I complete 30 more before I interview (and it was never mentioned or projected in any way)? What then? Can I inform the schools in any way, or is this now only pertinent to my 2020-21 application should I need to reapply?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 4, 2006
        The Other Side of the Portal
        1. Attending Physician
          I'm sorry, I didn't mean projected hours. I didn't project anything.
          What I mean is that I completed 45 hours that was included on my AMCAS application, but what if I complete 30 more before I interview (and it was never mentioned or projected in any way)? What then? Can I inform the schools in any way, or is this now only pertinent to my 2020-21 application should I need to reapply?
          By completing 45 shadowing hours, you will have fulfilled the expectations of the vast majority of med schools, especially if you included a primary care doc. Anything extra is gravy. You can "inform schools" about the added hours on Secondaries, in update letters where allowed, and during interview conversations if it comes up.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiran145

2+ Year Member
          Jan 26, 2019
          1. Medical Student
            Some will let you update them and even encourage it, Creighton my med school for example. Others will not allow any updates. As long as you have some primary care in your 45 hours you should be fine

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.