Shadowing and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmybuttons

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to change careers and am currently in the application process for formal post-bacc premed programs. However, I worried about my chances because I currently have nothing in the way of shadowing, research, etc. I live in a small town and work full time and I'm not quite sure how to get those experiences. That is one of the reasons these programs intrigued me because they would be able to provide those opportunities in a place where that would be my only focus.

If I am unable to get into a program, or even if I do, could I have some advice on finding shadowing/clinical experience and research experience while working a full time job during the week?

Thank you for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I would start with your own doctors for shadowing. I lived in NYC pre-pandemic, but I just shadowed my own PCP.

The conventional wisdom is that research is not essential for nontrads. I myself did do some research, but I happened to have the right kind of department available.

Reactions: 1 user
Research isn't very important for getting into med school. It's very important for residency.
Ex: I have 7 publications, 3.95GPA, and 508 MCAT and I applied 2 cycles 60 schools together all low tier MD/DO and I only got low tier DO.
I suspect it's cus I didn't meet their standards for clinical.

Definitely get clinical exp. Work as a scribe.

In general, I would say that having some healthcare experience that you can speak about in your essay or interviews is more important than shadowing in this post-pandemic apocalypse we are living in. Shadowing was tough to get into before covid. With the now greatly increased liability, it seems more like luck of the draw. If I were doing it again, I would still stick with hospice volunteering, even if it were virtual. I wrote about it in my essay and talked about it in every interview. Many asked me more questions about my time in hospice compared to my time as an Army medic. Hospice is a hidden gem of clinical experience that is available to just about everyone in every location and it's super flexible which makes it ideal for non-trads.