RN to MD... Research, shadowing, volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToliBro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been a RN for 8 years, would like to return to school to pursue medicine. I've enjoyed working the bedside, but I can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life-- would really like to start helping patients more with my brain than my back. I've worked in a variety of settings from the regular floor to organ transplant to the MICU/COVIDland. I would like to pursue primary care mostly because my most rewarding nursing job has been working in transplant and having a longitudinal relationship with patients, some of whom lived in the hospital under my care for a year+. I live in a rural area and plan to continue to do so in the future, so maybe I can be one of those rare people that actually wants to live 2-3+ hours from a major city?

I'm in the position of not being able to start pre-reqs immediately due to family issues; I plan to start in Spring 2022. As a result, I am considering buffing my application before I buckle down and hammer out the classes that I need in '22. I've received a variety of advice on that from attending and resident colleagues, and am now turning to SDN for their wisdom.

Clinical hours wise, I should be set (somewhere around 20-25k hours... I work a lot of overtime). I enjoy teaching and do a lot of precepting as a part of my job. I have done some formal nursing student education in the past. I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile for me to pick that back up again, application wise. Is any application committee going to pay any special attention to me being a professor? Might do it regardless just to get a tuition discount.

Non-clinical volunteering I'm not sure. I would probably not do a done of volunteering during the run up to medical school due to working full time+, running my small farm, etc on top of classes, so I would be in the position of having a bolus of hours now with a slow drip up to the time of application, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. One of the local hospices is looking for office support volunteers. I'm fairly computer literate and don't mind that sort of work, and I really like the hospice mission. Focusing on actual quality of life and minimize medical intervention is something I like a lot-- I find the ICU mentally stimulating but emotionally taxing, and one of the most rewarding experiences for me (as macabre as it may sound, sorry) is educating and talking to a patient and family and helping them define goals of care so that their lives end with maximum comfort instead of suffering to the very end on high level ICU support.

Research is something I could do, but most of my opportunities would be stuff published in nursing journals. I could probably do, say, early mobility intervention in the ICU and get 1st or 2nd author, but I'm not really sure I'd impress anyone. My administration is very supportive of nursing doing research and would probably be very willing to help, it's just nursing side stuff. I'd have to stretch harder to do work in physician research-- to the point I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Shadowing wise, I have multiple attendings offering me opportunities. I was wondering if anyone is going to raise an eyebrow at me picking up 50-100 hours now a few years out from an actual application, or if I should wait until closer to application submission time. Letters of rec aren't going to be an issue, at least. I do have contacts at one of the hospitals I worked at (doing organ transplant) who now teach at the medical school; one is now fairly close to the top of the administration. Is "audition shadowing" a thing, or am I being silly? I wouldn't mind flying back down and spending a few days doing some shadowing with faculty that I know personally if it might help with that particular school.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current ICU RN and a soon to be matriculant. What's your cGPA/sGPA? Your plan sounds good so far; with your clinical hours and variety of experiences, I wouldn't kill yourself picking up new opportunities unless they fit into the narrative of your application as a whole, as a couple hundred hours or so isn't going to stand out c/t 20K bedside hours. I would just write about your different experiences precepting and teaching as different activities on your future application. However, service to the disadvantaged is always a plus on application, and the hospice volunteering sounds like it makes sense given your experiences and interests.

I was told shadowing wasn't necessary for my application and I have a fraction of your clinical hours - it didn't hold me back at all. If you think it is necessary to get LORs or really have a burning passion to do it, go ahead, though. Let me know if you have any questions about this process - my RN experience was a huge point of interest during my interviews this previous cycle.

I'm a current ICU RN and a soon to be matriculant. What's your cGPA/sGPA? Your plan sounds good so far; with your clinical hours and variety of experiences, I wouldn't kill yourself picking up new opportunities unless they fit into the narrative of your application as a whole, as a couple hundred hours or so isn't going to stand out c/t 20K bedside hours. I would just write about your different experiences precepting and teaching as different activities on your future application. However, service to the disadvantaged is always a plus on application, and the hospice volunteering sounds like it makes sense given your experiences and interests.

I was told shadowing wasn't necessary for my application and I have a fraction of your clinical hours - it didn't hold me back at all. If you think it is necessary to get LORs or really have a burning passion to do it, go ahead, though. Let me know if you have any questions about this process - my RN experience was a huge point of interest during my interviews this previous cycle.
Can you say more about what you were told about shadowing? I'm an RN (5 hospital bedside years) --> NP (7.5 outpatient clinic years). I have a unique role and sit in on patient visits with MDs about 30% of the time, which is similar to what I'd be doing if I shadowed someone. I will have about 28k clinical hours when I apply and will not need shadowing at all for 3-4 LOR written by MDs or DOs. I've been told by others on SDN to do some minimal shadowing "because everyone else will have done it" and basically to check that box. But I'm curious about the responses you received from schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I posted my WAMC thread, the adcoms who responded said I didn't have to worry about my lack of shadowing. It was never mentioned on any of the 10+ interviews that I went on. In fact, even with a fraction of your clinical hours, the vast majority of faculty interviewers I interacted with said I would be coming in with experience compared to an intern or resident - hyperbolic, in my opinion, but nice to hear. If you can fit it in, I don't think it would be a detriment, but I wouldn't feel like you had to.

Reactions: 1 user
Been a RN for 8 years, would like to return to school to pursue medicine. I've enjoyed working the bedside, but I can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life-- would really like to start helping patients more with my brain than my back. I've worked in a variety of settings from the regular floor to organ transplant to the MICU/COVIDland. I would like to pursue primary care mostly because my most rewarding nursing job has been working in transplant and having a longitudinal relationship with patients, some of whom lived in the hospital under my care for a year+. I live in a rural area and plan to continue to do so in the future, so maybe I can be one of those rare people that actually wants to live 2-3+ hours from a major city?

I'm in the position of not being able to start pre-reqs immediately due to family issues; I plan to start in Spring 2022. As a result, I am considering buffing my application before I buckle down and hammer out the classes that I need in '22. I've received a variety of advice on that from attending and resident colleagues, and am now turning to SDN for their wisdom.

Clinical hours wise, I should be set (somewhere around 20-25k hours... I work a lot of overtime). I enjoy teaching and do a lot of precepting as a part of my job. I have done some formal nursing student education in the past. I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile for me to pick that back up again, application wise. Is any application committee going to pay any special attention to me being a professor? Might do it regardless just to get a tuition discount.

Non-clinical volunteering I'm not sure. I would probably not do a done of volunteering during the run up to medical school due to working full time+, running my small farm, etc on top of classes, so I would be in the position of having a bolus of hours now with a slow drip up to the time of application, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. One of the local hospices is looking for office support volunteers. I'm fairly computer literate and don't mind that sort of work, and I really like the hospice mission. Focusing on actual quality of life and minimize medical intervention is something I like a lot-- I find the ICU mentally stimulating but emotionally taxing, and one of the most rewarding experiences for me (as macabre as it may sound, sorry) is educating and talking to a patient and family and helping them define goals of care so that their lives end with maximum comfort instead of suffering to the very end on high level ICU support.

Research is something I could do, but most of my opportunities would be stuff published in nursing journals. I could probably do, say, early mobility intervention in the ICU and get 1st or 2nd author, but I'm not really sure I'd impress anyone. My administration is very supportive of nursing doing research and would probably be very willing to help, it's just nursing side stuff. I'd have to stretch harder to do work in physician research-- to the point I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Shadowing wise, I have multiple attendings offering me opportunities. I was wondering if anyone is going to raise an eyebrow at me picking up 50-100 hours now a few years out from an actual application, or if I should wait until closer to application submission time. Letters of rec aren't going to be an issue, at least. I do have contacts at one of the hospitals I worked at (doing organ transplant) who now teach at the medical school; one is now fairly close to the top of the administration. Is "audition shadowing" a thing, or am I being silly? I wouldn't mind flying back down and spending a few days doing some shadowing with faculty that I know personally if it might help with that particular school.

Thanks everyone!
Research is almost a must these days.
What is your MCAT score like?

Good to hear. My undergrad sGPA was 3.6, overall 3.77 I believe. I'm going to be starting prereqs here soon as I'm 8 years out from graduation and I took the non-serious nurses only chemistry and biology courses instead of true genchem and orgo/biochem 11 years ago. About the only thing I took with the med students upper level wise was microbio. So I need to spend a bit retaking all the prerequisite courses. Unsurprisingly, most of the advisors I've talked to haven't taken my previous coursework seriously outside of satisfying English or stats requirements. I'm still way far out from MCAT, unfortunately.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
When I posted my WAMC thread, the adcoms who responded said I didn't have to worry about my lack of shadowing. It was never mentioned on any of the 10+ interviews that I went on. In fact, even with a fraction of your clinical hours, the vast majority of faculty interviewers I interacted with said I would be coming in with experience compared to an intern or resident - hyperbolic, in my opinion, but nice to hear. If you can fit it in, I don't think it would be a detriment, but I wouldn't feel like you had to.
The shadowing can still be required for us at some some schools. I had one school this year ask me in my interview why they should consider accepting me even without shadowing hours. I have an 18 year career in hospital, home health etc settings. The school that accepted me never asked me.

Unless you want some specific higher ranked university, you do not need research.
I think I had something like 20-30 hours of shadowing (never came up - nursing experience is more than enough clinical experience).

40 hours of shadowing by time of application doesn't seem unreasonable. I wouldn't have an issue getting that much just to make sure the box is ticked. Won't go overboard, though.