Shadowing Anesthesiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillwater45

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a first year who will have a lot of extra time in the fall b/c I took summer gross. I was hoping to spend some time with an anestheiologist and I was wonding how that would work out?

I understand that the sedations and the write ups will be easily "shadowable" but what will I generally be doing while the patient is in the operation? I generally have class starting a 10 every morning so I had imagined that I could hopefully go in early in the morning and see a few procedures now and then. Does this sound reasonable?

Has anyone had experience shadowing anesthesiologist or being shadowed themselves..what are a few do's or don't that I should keep in mind? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Stillwater45 said:
Im a first year who will have a lot of extra time in the fall b/c I took summer gross. I was hoping to spend some time with an anestheiologist and I was wonding how that would work out?

I understand that the sedations and the write ups will be easily "shadowable" but what will I generally be doing while the patient is in the operation? I generally have class starting a 10 every morning so I had imagined that I could hopefully go in early in the morning and see a few procedures now and then. Does this sound reasonable?

Has anyone had experience shadowing anesthesiologist or being shadowed themselves..what are a few do's or don't that I should keep in mind? Thanks

Wait for 3rd or 4th year. No need to shadow an anesthesiologist at this point. If you are that interested you should start by joining some sort of student organization affiliated with the ASA. If you are extrodinairly motivated you can jump in on some research for a month during the summer (will help your application in any field you ultimately decide upon entering but is not a requisite). Just buzz up the university.

I second the above. I think that during your first year, you probably won't have enough background in physiology and pharmacology to really appreciate what's going on. It's quite possible it would look like the anesthesiologist just sits there, because a lot of what's going on can't really be explained well to a person with no background.

And you might find yourself busier than you thought, despite the lack of gross anatomy. =) I always found that people spread out what they're taking to fill the time they've got. People on half-courseload at my school still studied for equally as much time as people on a full courseload.