Shadowing concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried to get shadowing opportunities with several doctors, but their receptionists always flat out tell me they don't do that for HIPPA reasons. I talked to my mother's doctor in person and he said he'd be fine with shadowing and that I should call his office and set it up when I'm ready. My concern is that the people who answer the phones will just tell me that he doesn't do that. Are my concerns unwarranted?

Members don't see this ad.

If the doctor said yes outright it's likely that he has allowed other students and his staff is aware of it. If you're worried, prefix it with "Dr. X told me to call to set up a date for student observation" etc. I'd just skirt around the word shadow and make it clear it's under his direction

There should be no problem with HIPPA if you sign the forms. If the clinics are connected with a hospital, try going through the volunteer services at that hospital. I have shadowed an orthopedic surgeon and a family practice twice in the last two weeks by going through Volunteer Services in my town. And do what Snake said.

To be honest, if you sign the necessary HIPPA forms, than there should be no problem whatsoever unless it is the doc that does not like shadowing. Good luck!