Shadowing Federal Vets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greysxo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a first-year undergrad. I was wondering about how I would go about shadowing a vet that works for the federal government. I have heard that it would boost my resume, and I am interested in learning more about the different professions in the area. I have tried searching for someone to contact, but I have not found anything. Has anyone done this or can guide me towards where to look?

Members don't see this ad.

Paging @Teepster87 who May know something about some things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 2-year fellowship with my state's veterinarians, I may be able to answer some questions.

You'll likely have to locate specific internship/fellowship/etc opportunities that have a formal application process. Unless you know someone who works for the government or have a friend of a friend, it's going to be difficult to simply shadow. It's hard to get ahold of anyone who can help you in the first place.

I found my opportunity through my university's career website (we used Handshake specifically). I'd start by contacting your school's career office or visiting their website. They often have a pretty decent compilation of available opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
have you looked up the information for the state vet's office in your home state? That would probably be a good place to start :)
I have, it's not a lot of information lol. Thank you though, I will try to look into it more

I found my opportunity through my university's career website (we used Handshake specifically).
My school uses Handshake as well! I will try to look there to see if there is any information. Unfortunately, my school focuses on human med and doesn't offer/know vet med opportunities. Thanks!

I have nothing to add to this except that I initially read the thread title as "shadowing feral vets" and I was expecting some juicy story about a feral veterinarian.

That is all...

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I have nothing to add to this except that I initially read the thread title as "shadowing feral vets" and I was expecting some juicy story about a feral veterinarian.

That is all...

Came here to post the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Me and the feds aren't on the best terms right now.

It's going to be really difficult, in my humble opinion, to find a shadowing opportunity with a federal vet. There's safety to worry about, secrecy of knowledge, and most of the vets in APHIS are already so overworked they're not going to willingly take on the additional responsibility of hosting a shadow.

For summer internships, that can be posted on USAJobs anywhere from December to April can be good opportunities. Most of them are paid, there's a few that will give a housing stipend, and they're more structured so a single person isn't handling all the responsibility of hosting someone.

Hopefully it helps.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
You can try emailing field vets directly or emailing the field operations supervisor to ask. For USDA, the district supervisors are usually easy to find online, although there is a list out there somewhere that has an org chart with every field vet in APHIS.

They probably won't respond but someone I work with had mentioned having undergrads shadow before so it is possible.

You might have the best luck with FSIS honestly, since they have more trouble recruiting and retaining vets, they may be more open to it. (Although shadowing in a slaughterhouse may have the opposite effect on your motivation...)

If you are close enough to an HQ or hub office I'd also suggest asking to shadow in an office- they cycle through a lot more interns (volunteer and paid) so are more likely to have an HR person that would know what to do with you in terms of application / paperwork needed.

I'd also suggest contacting your state vet office- similar experience for your resume, but probably more likely to respond to your inquiry.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You can try emailing field vets directly or emailing the field operations supervisor to ask. For USDA, the district supervisors are usually easy to find online, although there is a list out there somewhere that has an org chart with every field vet in APHIS.
thank you! I will look into this