Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Everyone,

How many hours of job shadowing and/or volunteering in the dental setting have you all completed?

I am a reapplicant and have good GPA (3.8) and DAT (21) scores so I am wondering if my job shadowing hours are on the low side. Any info you can provide would be helpful, thanks!!

Jan 19, 2015
Hi Everyone,

How many hours of job shadowing and/or volunteering in the dental setting have you all completed?

I am a reapplicant and have good GPA (3.8) and DAT (21) scores so I am wondering if my job shadowing hours are on the low side. Any info you can provide would be helpful, thanks!!
Some schools want you to have at least 100 hours. Right now, I have about 60 hours. I be applying next summer and by that point I will more than 100.

Reactions: whatupdentistry

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2014
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Everyone,

did you apply late last time?

About the Ads

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Dec 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'll be a reapplicant next spring. Applied in 2013. I have about 230 hours right now and it's increasing. I know people are going to be like, "Why so much? etc" Well, I already know this is what I want to do. I'm just trying to absorb as much as possible from my dentist lol

Reactions: Pearl E. White
Jan 19, 2015
I'll be a reapplicant next spring. Applied in 2013. I have about 230 hours right now and it's increasing. I know people are going to be like, "Why so much? etc" Well, I already know this is what I want to do. I'm just trying to absorb as much as possible from my dentist lol
You should have more than enough. You'll get in easy somewhere, just be sure to apply to a broad range of schools.

Dec 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
You should have more than enough. You'll get in easy somewhere, just be sure to apply to a broad range of schools.
Hopefully! Btw, do you know of schools that are OOS friendly? I cant seem to find that excel sheet on here.

Jan 19, 2015
Hopefully! Btw, do you know of schools that are OOS friendly? I cant seem to find that excel sheet on here.
Do you have the ADEA official guide to dental schools book? http://www.adea.org/officialguide/
It goes through every school, and shows how many out of state and in state applicants are accepted, and how many apply. You could just find a school that seems interesting to you and check the ratio of out of state to in state acceptances and see if that school accepts many OOS applicants.

Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
I have 150 hours so far, but not applying until next year (starting junior year). Minimum you should have is 60 hours, but most schools want to see at least 100, some more, even up to 200 hours.

Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
did you apply late last time?
I applied by late August but my advisor didn't submit the LOR until the last day of September, so that might have held me back (also, I only applied to 5 schools and interviewed at 2-no back ups). I am trying to apply within a week or two but I am seeing people with 500 hours which worries me; I think I have about 125 so hopefully that will suffice

ncide

5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Dentist
Close to 4,000 hours working alongside a periodontist, orthodontist, oral surgeon, endodontist and numerous general practitioners. I mostly work in the private sector but have volunteered considerable time at a general practice that took care of patients with severe developmental disabilities.

Do you need this much experience in the field prior to applying? No, of course not. The reason I have so much was because I graduated in 2013 and have worked since then. Most applicants are applying when they are juniors and seniors, and given the heavy courseload that dental prerequisites require, admissions know that not everyone cannot have as much. It is important to focus on your academic performance and sometimes finding significant time for shadowing can be difficult, especially if you have other extracurriculars in your schedule.

About the Ads