Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigDoe1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Growing up my parents and grandparents were dentist so I was aways in and out of the office shadowing and observing what they did. MY junior and senior year of high school I "official" shadowed my parents and helped them around the office. Going into college I was unsure if I wanted to become a physician or a dentist so I shadowed physicians throughout college to see if it was for me. I started shadowing dentist again this past year after deciding that I wanted to be a dentist. Can I use my high school shadowing experience on my application? I am afraid that the hours I have accumulated this year won't be as much as I want when I apply.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Growing up my parents and grandparents were dentist so I was aways in and out of the office shadowing and observing what they did. MY junior and senior year of high school I "official" shadowed my parents and helped them around the office. Going into college I was unsure if I wanted to become a physician or a dentist so I shadowed physicians throughout college to see if it was for me. I started shadowing dentist again this past year after deciding that I wanted to be a dentist. Can I use my high school shadowing experience on my application? I am afraid that the hours I have accumulated this year won't be as much as I want when I apply.

Thank you
You are seriously scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Reactions: 1 users
With most areas on the application anything pre-undergrad is irreverent; but to me, shadowing is shadowing. The whole purpose is to gain exposure to the field...to me, it shouldn't matter when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
You are seriously scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

I know and thats why I am shadowing more now. I'll have about 50-75 hours by June when I apply but would like to have more. Do you have any suggestions for me? I thought I could tie it all together in my personal statement but I'm still pretty nervous about it

What do you have going on this summer? Can you not spend one 40 hr week with one or multiple dentists then?

What do you have going on this summer? Can you not spend one 40 hr week with one or multiple dentists then?

Would one 40 hour week work? I was trying to spread it out somewhat so it doesn't look like I scrambled to get the hours but I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

Would one 40 hour week work? I was trying to spread it out somewhat so it doesn't look like I scrambled to get the hours but I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

Well ideally yeah it'd be nice and regular shadowing over a period of time, but if the alternative is that you can only apply with 50-75 hrs its probably better to pad that with a big push.

If you aren't limited by free time, I would suggest finding another dentist/a few to shadow in addition to make the 100 cut by the time you apply. But yes, adcoms usually look at anything pre-undergrad by laughing and musing at how cute it is.

Are your parents/grandparents no longer in practice?