Shadowing---How Much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a letter from a MD and a DO so I am set to apply next summer, but I want to know should I continue to shadow after I have applied to med school? If I do not shadow I will continue my other E.C.s
Other ECs
Volunteering at A Nursing Home
Mentoring for about 1 yr.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a letter from a MD and a DO so I am set to apply next summer, but I want to know should I continue to shadow after I have applied to med school? If I do not shadow I will continue my other E.C.s
Other ECs
Volunteering at A Nursing Home
Mentoring for about 1 yr.
Well you haven't given us any information. You've basically said "I've shadowed and asked two of the doctors for fairly worthless (unless you're applying DO) LORs. Do I have enough shadowing?"

How many hours do you have? What specialties?

The point of shadowing isn't to get a LOR. The point of shadowing is that you get to see what being a doctor is like before you commit half your life and upwards of 200K to become one yourself. And how are we supposed to know if you have enough shadowing if you haven't told us how much time you've shadowed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadoe each doctor about 40 to 50 hrs.... peds, ortho

LizzyM has said several times that 50 hours is the norm for most students. I tend to think going above when ever possible is the right decision on paper, but going above I know for me was incredibly useful as I felt it very important to really see the bs. Get involved with the paper work, the notations, the dictations, the angry patients, you need to see it all. Once you know what your worst day will be like, I would say then is the time to stop shadowing. I've been lucky enough to see some serious crap, I'm still here today and even more anxious to get on with my career. I think that speaks volumes for my interest in the profession.

LizzyM has said several times that 50 hours is the norm for most students. I tend to think going above when ever possible is the right decision on paper, but going above I know for me was incredibly useful as I felt it very important to really see the bs. Get involved with the paper work, the notations, the dictations, the angry patients, you need to see it all. Once you know what your worst day will be like, I would say then is the time to stop shadowing. I've been lucky enough to see some serious crap, I'm still here today and even more anxious to get on with my career. I think that speaks volumes for my interest in the profession.
Serious crap... are you talking about this? :eek:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10733531

I'd love to get in as much shadowing as possible, they're kinda fun :D but it's such a hassle trying to find doctors who would agree to it. So far I only have 16 hrs :/

I shadowed 5 hours a day, 3 days a week, for 6 months.

Excessive? Sure, but free food!!!

I have 10 hours of shadowing - one physician for two consecutive days.

Provided you can get exposure to the medical field somehow else, I don't see why it's considered so necessary. It's seriously the most worthless, boring experience ever.

...It's seriously the most worthless, boring experience ever.

you've clearly never been to jury duty.

also the advice on 'be sure to see a md on a bad day' i'm taking that to heart. so far with the family physician i'm shadowing, haven't seen a bad day yet (or that he's very good about not getting all GRR at it)

Last edited: