Shadowing in DFW, TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derekream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I recently graduated from UNT with my B.A. in sociology and psychology, I am looking at attending the 2-year college I went to prior to UNT where I got my A.A. to take my pre-med courses (because I can't afford to pay out of pocket at a 4-year school). With that being said, I wanted to see if anyone had advice on getting some shadowing experience around DFW. I have glanced over some previous threads on this subject, some say it is hard (especially for DO's), some say it's easy, etc.

If anyone has a name for a couple of doctors around here that have proven in the past to accept shadowing students, would love to hear it. Also, I am unemployed as well as a recent graduate in December, so, anything that would pay would be a plus :)

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has a name for a couple of doctors around here that have proven in the past to accept shadowing students, would love to hear it. Also, I am unemployed as well as a recent graduate in December, so, anything that would pay would be a plus :)

I highly doubt you're going to find anything that pays you to shadow around here, but working as an ER scribe will get you pretty good exposure. I'm from Arlington and worked for the Fort Worth team of PhysAssist. We have lots of scribes who go to UNT, UTA, and TCU. Alternatively, you can also try cold-calling/emailing physicians by going through the physician directories on the websites of some of the THR hospitals around here.

Paid shadowing?

Like ^ said, a lot of premeds in my area cold-called docs. My undergrad also had an attached med school where a bunch of premeds would volunteer and shadow attendings. If your undergrad has a med school, that might be a start.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hi gang,

I recently graduated from UNT with my B.A. in sociology and psychology, I am looking at attending the 2-year college I went to prior to UNT where I got my A.A. to take my pre-med courses (because I can't afford to pay out of pocket at a 4-year school). With that being said, I wanted to see if anyone had advice on getting some shadowing experience around DFW. I have glanced over some previous threads on this subject, some say it is hard (especially for DO's), some say it's easy, etc.

I wouldn't go to a two-year college to take your pre-reqs. This could be looked at by medical schools as going back to take them the easy way. You can take out loans for your pre-reqs if you take them at UNT or any other 4-year institution (UTA, UTD, TCU) as long as you take a certain amount of hours. Personally, I'd look into UTD because it has a well-respected Post-Bacc Program for this exact purpose: http://www.utdallas.edu/pre-health/post-bacc-studies

Going to a post-bacc program won't only help you get your pre-reqs completed but they will also offer you advising and committee letters for your medical school applications, which you will most definitely want to have. Oh, and they might even be able to help you on the shadowing front too.

Good luck!:luck: