Shadowing / Job search advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlitetears

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about how to shadow an optometrist for a long period of time. For me, I have shadowed 3 different optometrists and none of them wanted me to shadow them for a long period of time. Finding an optometrist to shadow for one day is simple, but many of them don't allow me to come back. This isn't a problem to me, but how would I go about getting letters of recommendations if I only shadowed them for a day?
I considered looking for a job, and I will probably do that this summer. Would you recommend just handing a resume to the receptionist or actually asking the optometrist personally if they are hiring? What would be the best way to get a job?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about how to shadow an optometrist for a long period of time. For me, I have shadowed 3 different optometrists and none of them wanted me to shadow them for a long period of time. Finding an optometrist to shadow for one day is simple, but many of them don't allow me to come back. This isn't a problem to me, but how would I go about getting letters of recommendations if I only shadowed them for a day?
I considered looking for a job, and I will probably do that this summer. Would you recommend just handing a resume to the receptionist or actually asking the optometrist personally if they are hiring? What would be the best way to get a job?

Most optometrists aren't going to want to hire someone for a paid position for a summer job. You may find people willing to take you on as an unpaid intern or something but the problem with a job is that by the time you get trained, you're leaving and most eye clinics aren't super busy in the summer.

Your best bet is when you shadow docs, ask if you can shadow them for an extended period of time. If they say NO, don't even bother shadowing them once. I'm hesitant to recommend that because in general it's good to have as many experiences as possible but if your ultimate need is now the rec letter instead of the shadowing, try to be a bit more upfront about that. Good luck!

I had the same problem (8 years ago... lol, out of the 50 or so 5 responded)... heres what I did:

I suggest you write a brief letter (VERY BRIEF!.. your interest and you are applying to optometry school.. and I agree with above, write that you are interested in being a unpaid intern) and a SHORT resume.. ie where you go to school and any health related/volunteer experience.

Dress professionally and do a cold WALK IN (dont email or fax... they will most likely just use it as scrap paper)

Introduce yourself to front desk (your name, you are a student applying to optometry school and you would like to meet with the optometrist)

At this point... the front desk will take your letter (and will throw it away or actually give to the Dr.), make an appointment for you to see the doc, or if your luck, actually meet the doc right out!

Take a business card, and tell them you will call back in a few days for a follow up and take the name of the person that took your letter.

If the doc calls back or emails you... thats great because that shows you that they are interested and prob a good place to shadow.

ACT THE PART... if you are allowed to shadow, be professional... pretend you are work there (even if its free)! Be active.. dont be a fly on the wall... ask questions when its not busy. Hope this helps... keep trying, some one will be happy to show you what its like.

Last edited:
That's actually what I usually do. They usually say yes for one day. But they don't seem to want me to come back as a long term thing.