1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing Log??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mickeyaddi, Dec 15, 2005.

1. mickeyaddi

mickeyaddi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been looking high and low for this; however, I haven't found any information on it. I'm wondering, when I do my shadowing, is there a log or letter from the dentist needed as proof of my shadowing experience?

I'm going to be doing some shadowing within the next week, and I didn't know of any forms, letters, etc. that I need the dentist to fill out for me.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't need them. Just keep track for your own record.

4. mickeyaddi

mickeyaddi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks, boree!

5. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are welcome. Just make sure to be able to keep contact with the dentist in case you will be applying to a school that requires a letter of proof from the dentist you shawdowed (I know Tufts does this, and probably some others). Good luck.

6. USAF_Dentman

USAF_Dentman Go!! Get to da choppa!
    5+ Year Member

So what is stopping someone from lying about hours then if some schools require no proof?

I made a log of my hours and just had the dentist sign his name next to times i shadowed him..

7. darkwing

darkwing Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I wrote down what i learned, saw, and conversations with the dentists in a journal... it really helped me remember my shadowing experience and helped me alot for the interviews..

8. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I never shadowed and just lied my way into dental school. Just kidding, but like you said it's really just an honor system. If your a scumbag it's probably a corner you could cut. But your going to sound pretty stupid in your interview when they ask you a dental related question and your answer is "huh?".

9. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely keep a log so that the night before your interviews you can look over it and compare/contrast different practices and talk in depth about what you learned from the experience.