Shadowing Log??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickeyaddi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking high and low for this; however, I haven't found any information on it. I'm wondering, when I do my shadowing, is there a log or letter from the dentist needed as proof of my shadowing experience?

I'm going to be doing some shadowing within the next week, and I didn't know of any forms, letters, etc. that I need the dentist to fill out for me.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

mickeyaddi said:
I've been looking high and low for this; however, I haven't found any information on it. I'm wondering, when I do my shadowing, is there a log or letter from the dentist needed as proof of my shadowing experience?

I'm going to be doing some shadowing within the next week, and I didn't know of any forms, letters, etc. that I need the dentist to fill out for me.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Don't need them. Just keep track for your own record.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are welcome. Just make sure to be able to keep contact with the dentist in case you will be applying to a school that requires a letter of proof from the dentist you shawdowed (I know Tufts does this, and probably some others). Good luck.

boree said:
You are welcome. Just make sure to be able to keep contact with the dentist in case you will be applying to a school that requires a letter of proof from the dentist you shawdowed (I know Tufts does this, and probably some others). Good luck.

So what is stopping someone from lying about hours then if some schools require no proof?

I made a log of my hours and just had the dentist sign his name next to times i shadowed him..

I wrote down what i learned, saw, and conversations with the dentists in a journal... it really helped me remember my shadowing experience and helped me alot for the interviews..

JamesD said:
So what is stopping someone from lying about hours then if some schools require no proof?

I made a log of my hours and just had the dentist sign his name next to times i shadowed him..
I never shadowed and just lied my way into dental school. Just kidding, but like you said it's really just an honor system. If your a scumbag it's probably a corner you could cut. But your going to sound pretty stupid in your interview when they ask you a dental related question and your answer is "huh?".

Definitely keep a log so that the night before your interviews you can look over it and compare/contrast different practices and talk in depth about what you learned from the experience.