1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing Log??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mickeyaddi, Dec 15, 2005.

1. mickeyaddi

mickeyaddi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been looking high and low for this; however, I haven't found any information on it. I'm wondering, when I do my shadowing, is there a log or letter from the dentist needed as proof of my shadowing experience?

I'm going to be doing some shadowing within the next week, and I didn't know of any forms, letters, etc. that I need the dentist to fill out for me.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't need them. Just keep track for your own record.

3. mickeyaddi

mickeyaddi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks, boree!

4. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are welcome. Just make sure to be able to keep contact with the dentist in case you will be applying to a school that requires a letter of proof from the dentist you shawdowed (I know Tufts does this, and probably some others). Good luck.

5. USAF_Dentman

USAF_Dentman Go!! Get to da choppa!
    5+ Year Member

So what is stopping someone from lying about hours then if some schools require no proof?

I made a log of my hours and just had the dentist sign his name next to times i shadowed him..

6. darkwing

darkwing Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I wrote down what i learned, saw, and conversations with the dentists in a journal... it really helped me remember my shadowing experience and helped me alot for the interviews..

7. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I never shadowed and just lied my way into dental school. Just kidding, but like you said it's really just an honor system. If your a scumbag it's probably a corner you could cut. But your going to sound pretty stupid in your interview when they ask you a dental related question and your answer is "huh?".

8. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely keep a log so that the night before your interviews you can look over it and compare/contrast different practices and talk in depth about what you learned from the experience.