Shadowing + Med school while visibly trans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

différance

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

First of all THANK YOU so much for making this forum section happen! It's amazing to have a space where we can debate LGBTQ-specific issues here.

I wanted to ask you if anyone here has had the experience of looking for shadowing opportunities while being visibly trans (i.e. "not passing"). Also would love to hear from people who attended/attend med school under said circumstances.

I'm having a hard time managing these interactions and not sure how to go about it. I'm scared of correcting physicians when they misgender me but also don't think I could stay in an environment where I'm constantly misgendered and can't say anything about it. The power dynamics just seem to make it really complicated.

Has anyone been through something similar? If so, how did you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
First off I have not had the same experience but wanted to offer support. I was very nervous as I started an Internship at a hospital of mostly white straight people being that I'm a hispanic lesbian. I found it was easier for my own piece of mind to just start introductions with what I prefer being called. It brought visible relief to several interactions and made fast friends with a few that had GLBT relatives but were afraid to say anything and risk offending or were interested in advocation and had questions. It won't help everyone of course but it made me feel a lot better by preemptively recognizing what is an "issue" for mainstream America.

Best wishes no matter what you decide!

Reactions: 1 users
First off I have not had the same experience but wanted to offer support. I was very nervous as I started an Internship at a hospital of mostly white straight people being that I'm a hispanic lesbian. I found it was easier for my own piece of mind to just start introductions with what I prefer being called. It brought visible relief to several interactions and made fast friends with a few that had GLBT relatives but were afraid to say anything and risk offending or were interested in advocation and had questions. It won't help everyone of course but it made me feel a lot better by preemptively recognizing what is an "issue" for mainstream America.

Best wishes no matter what you decide!
it is great you had such a positive experience