Shadowing Neurosurgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kickback

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if there was a way I could find a neurosurgeon to shadow. I know a couple of doctors, but they are both IM. I am currently in Milwaukee at Marquette University, and I am pretty sure there is a neurosurgery program at Medical College of Wisconsin. My parents live in St. Louis, so I'm there during the summer and breaks. I just don't know where to start... the IM doctor I know at Froedert hadn't even heard of shadowing before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Call up the neurosurgery department at MCOW and talk to the secretary to see if they'll get you in touch with some of the faculty, usually be e-mail to arrange some opportunities to watch what they do.

Contact the residency coordinator at WashU's neurosurg department and she might be able to help you out (Just search google). They are getting a lot more strict on who they do and don't let shadow, at least when it comes to the OR, however, so don't be surprised if you get turned down, but she is a very helpful person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call up the neurosurgery department at MCOW and talk to the secretary to see if they'll get you in touch with some of the faculty, usually be e-mail to arrange some opportunities to watch what they do.

Would you suggest this approach for any academic neurosurgery department? Currently I am in Boston.

Thanks!
J

Would you suggest this approach for any academic neurosurgery department? Currently I am in Boston.

Thanks!
J
It never hurts to ask. Just send the secretary a polite e-mail asking if anything can be arranged. Worst that would happen is they would say no, but even then they may be able to get you in contact with someone who can help.

I have done my fair share of shadowing in Neurosurgery departments.. both at my home institution and at a very prestigious neurosurgery institution in the U.S. I have always just e-mailed attendings, and they usually respond back to me. If they don't reply and I really want to shadow them, I contact their assistants and the assitant obtains their permission, gives me dates of their clinic, informs the M.D. of my plans and I just show up. It's simple, it shows interest and confidence and they're almost always happy to teach. Half the time, they won't respond on purpose just to see how interested you really are (if you will keep trying).

I do have one piece of advice (my $0.02): Shadowing and spending time around a neurosurgeon is very inspiring. You see patients with neurological disease, some who are post-op and very thankful of their surgeon. It is easy to get enamored very quickly by this field, because successful cases are obviously very gratifying. Plus, the challenging cases make clinics and ORs exciting. But, always explore the field completely. Understand what the residency entails, what sort of options lie ahead of you after residency. Talk to the residents & attendings about their lifestyles, etc. There is a lot more to neurosurgery than having fun for 6-8 hours in clinic or OR during a day of shadowing. You may love the CNS, you may have a ball hanging out with your attending in his clinic, but make sure you do thorough research...