Shadowing question

Started by DrNavi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrNavi

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TL;DR: would it be a waste of time to continue shadowing the Nurse Practitioner also, would it look weird on my application.

A nurse I know at the hospital I volunteer at said he would introduce me to someone I could shadow. So I set a time to shadow her and I go to shadow and I see she is not a doctor but a Nurse Practitioner. I thought she was a doctor, I didn't want to be rude, so I did my time with. So far I've only done 4 hours (1 shift) with her, would it be a waste of time to continue shadowing her for a bit? Would it look weird on my application?
 
If you aren't sacrificing other opportunities to take the time to shadow, I wouldn't be too adverse to spending some time with the nurse. It might lead to some networking opportunities to shadow physicians. If pressed to explain, you could say something like "I shadowed a nurse practitioner for a brief period because I was interested in exploring a wide variety of healthcare career options. This experience confirmed my desire to work in a healthcare setting, but also made me realize that the work of a physician is better suited to my personal talents and interests than the work of an NP for X, Y, and Z reasons."

That said, I wouldn't pass up any other opportunities to take the time to do this, and I wouldn't rack up more than a few shifts shadowing with non-physicians.
 
Your experience also illustrates the growing problem of practitioner-confusion, where even the nurse setting up the opportunity didn't realize the NP wasn't an MD...