Shadowing the ED the day before an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keeping-it-real

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you arrive a day early to an interview. Is it possible to set up a day of shadowing or a day of working in the ED prior to the actual interview day? Curious if anyone has done this to get a better feel for a program they are strongly considering. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say you arrive a day early to an interview. Is it possible to set up a day of shadowing or a day of working in the ED prior to the actual interview day? Curious if anyone has done this to get a better feel for a program they are strongly considering. Thanks.

Most places would encourage this. Just talk to the program coordinator to set it up.

Hi,
I also agree, I think it is a good idea. I think it is more for you. I don't know if it helps is regards to showing extra interest as I am a resident right now. By spending some time in the ED (definitely don't need to do a whole shift, maybe a few hours) you get to see how the ED works and interactions. I didn't do this for every interview (that would have burned me out:mad:). What I did was after I was done with all my interviews, for my top three, I went back for a "second look" and spent some time in the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this either before or after all but one interview and they asked me to stay and do it but I knew I was not going to rank them after the interview so I gracefully bowed out. You never know until you know. It will give you an edge in their mind and peace for your mind about how much you like it. Highly recommend this.
Drakken

Shadowing is always a good idea. The PD can say all they want to sell you on their program, but until you set foot in the ED you won't have a real feel for the place and the working environment. You can even go back a second time if you're serious to get face time with the PD or associate director.

I got to shadow for the day in the ER as a nursing student, so I'm pretty sure they'd let you. It's a good experience!

For you all that did something like this, did they pimp you on stuff? Did they let you carry some patients?

Forget my comment. :D I think I was half asleep when I read it. I see you've got an interview in the ED. (I thought you were just curious about the dept.).

Shadowing is always a good idea. The PD can say all they want to sell you on their program, but until you set foot in the ED you won't have a real feel for the place and the working environment. You can even go back a second time if you're serious to get face time with the PD or associate director.
Is it okay to do this in February, after all your interviews have wrapped up? I know our rank deadline is the 27th, but I'm not sure at what point the programs usually have their rank lists finalized.

Did they let you carry some patients?

Don't! While it is unlikely that it will happen, you are not covered from a malpractice perspective. Don't touch anything! No matter what they let you do, keep your hands off. You are there to observe and see how they do things, not impress them with your diagnositic and procedural skills.

This is a great thing for an applicant to do if he or she is having trouble differentiating between the top three programs on his or her list. It's also a good way to spend time in an unfamiliar city where you are inreviewing & have nothing else to do. However, don't place too much importance on it. It may make a good impression, but it is FAR from essential or even expected. There is also the chance that you'll make a bad impression - hopefully you wont, but it's always possible. If it's just going to cost you a day off and a couple gallons of gas, it's not a bad idea. If it's going to cost you two days, a plane ticket, a hotel room, etc then you're probably falling off the other side of the diminishing returns curve.

I have to ask- what is "shadowing" in an ED really? What do you do, if you can't touch anything? Do you follow a resident around and give help where needed (and legal)? Should I bring along some scrubs, or hang out in my suit? It's a very vague suggestion....

Yes, I arrived one day early at one of my interviews, and had set up that I would shadow the evening before the interview. It was great; I got a really good feel for the program/ED, and was so relaxed for the actual interview, because I had already met so many people. I followed an attending around, but I guess following a resident or a combination thereof would work, too.

Carrying patients or "helping" (with anything other then fetching a chair or sth) would be totally inappropriate and a violation of I don't know how many codes and regulations. Likewise they should really not pimp you or anything and don't worry they won't. They want you to be comfortable.

You should bring your medical school ID for this, and you can wear "business casual". Definitely not your interview suit.

Thanks, that's really helpful to know.

Does it look bad if the program offers me to shadow, but because of travel constraints I turn them down?

Does it look bad if the program offers me to shadow, but because of travel constraints I turn them down?

No, not at all. The programs understand how crazy the traveling is during interview season. If you'd really like to do it though, ask if you can instead shadow on the night after the interview or some other time (maybe you'll be back in town for another interview in the same city or something like that). Again that's if you're interested, and if you want to getter a better feel for that program and ED, because you anticipate you will want to rank it highly.

Thanks to the OP because I've been pondering this scenario for a while. I'm going to try and shadow at my top 5 programs and see the city as well. It's a great opportunity so see and evaluate the environment you'll potentially be working in for the next 3 years.

can anybody clarify if shadowing might help you get ranked higher? I have a few places that i am really strongly considering but due to time constraints, it's a bit of a push. I could manage to shadow but it might cut things close between interviews.

Any thoughts on how it can increase rank?

thanks

Fix this for the PD:

89585582.AmBfeD5t.jpg

Man I cooked a good dinner tonight!

can anybody clarify if shadowing might help you get ranked higher? I have a few places that i am really strongly considering but due to time constraints, it's a bit of a push. I could manage to shadow but it might cut things close between interviews.

Any thoughts on how it can increase rank?

thanks

It could hurt or help. It's unlikely to be neutral. Yes, you might be pimped a bit. Good answers will help. Being clueless looks bad.

Mostly shadowing is for your benefit, not the program's. But as I said in another thread, the interview starts with your first phone call after being invited and it doesn't end till you leave town.

It could hurt or help. It's unlikely to be neutral. Yes, you might be pimped a bit. Good answers will help. Being clueless looks bad.

Mostly shadowing is for your benefit, not the program's. But as I said in another thread, the interview starts with your first phone call after being invited and it doesn't end till you leave town.

I'm digging out this old thread because I would like to know how other people's actual experiences have been when shadowing at the interview time instead of just "well, you might get this or this".

Did you get pimped?
How long did you stay?
Did you find it helpful?

Thanks

During shadowing at an NYC program I ended up bagging a patient for ~1hr until respiratory came down to hook-up the vent while an intern flailed away without supervision on an unsuccessful femoral line. It was a very useful experience.