Shadowing/Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommyOpt

Hi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--I APOLOGIZE ahead of time for the length of this...please bear with me---

I am taking a full load and raising a family so working at least part-time isn't an option for me right now (I'm also preggo.)
Although, I understand the prominence of volunteering/shadowing and would like to know how to go about that?

In all honesty, I have an inner fear of looking "ridiculous" to the optometrist because several years ago (when I was wondering about going into pharmacy) I walked into a CVS.....asked the manager if it was possible for me to volunteer in their pharmacy...she looked at me like I was an alien, and was wondering how to respond...walked me over to the pharmacy (I guess I should have gone to pharmacy first), and the pharmacist said "sure, some schools require that". Now he was nice and all...but I didn't pretty much nothing the entire time.
Maybe I should have not picked a retail store, I don't know.
I just want to do it right this time.
I can't help imagine being this person just following the optometrist around his practice and him wanting to shake me off like a fly.
Well, also, how much volunteering/shadowing (and is there a difference) should I offer to do?
Sorry if these questions seem obvious...they don't to me. I've only worked in the past, and have never (exception of pharmacy) known someone who shadowed or volunteered.
And once I do, should I do it right before I apply to the school so that I don't just volunteer, wait a few months, and call the doctor for a LOR out of nowhere....sounds rude.
Any advice. Thanks.
Sorry so long BTW. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't pretty much nothing the entire time.

You may have done nothing physically but you did observe the career and the inner workings.

Maybe I should have not picked a retail store.

It's a great idea to pick a retail store. But also don't forget the privately owned pharmacy. By volunteering at diffent types of pharmacies, you get to see the similaries and differences in each.

Sorry if these questions seem obvious...they don't to me.

No problem. That's what forums are for.

And once I do, should I do it right before I apply to the school so that I don't just volunteer, wait a few months, and call the doctor for a LOR out of nowhere....sounds rude.

I was wondering the same thing. For example, I will be going to an optometry school in about 2 years. The optometry school told me that they want them fresh (referring to the LOR). So I don't want to volunteer now and 2 years from now, call the optometrist and ask for a LOR. That would be 2 years between the last day of shadowing/volunteering and the time I ask for a LOR!! The only thing I can think of is shadow an optometrist now and then shadow another optometrist when it comes closer to apply and let him be the LOR optometrist. How did the rest of you do it?

If you have an optometrist... ask him or her to shadow for a couple of days. Trust me, more than that and you might get way too bored to stay awake as you are standing there waiting for a turn to look in the slit lamp.

Then ask that doc to recommend another doc who might let you shadow. Most of the ones I know are really nice and will let you come in.

As for what I did: I shadowed my old optometrist for about 4 days (3-4 hours a day). It was great since I got to see a couple of the patients who came back for their progress exams. Then I shadowed my other optometrist (long story) for a whole day. Both experiences were wonderful since they each had a different way of doing things, and they each were in different levels of practice.

So, bottom line, go for variety!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have an optometrist... ask him or her to shadow for a couple of days. Trust me, more than that and you might get way too bored to stay awake as you are standing there waiting for a turn to look in the slit lamp.

Then ask that doc to recommend another doc who might let you shadow. Most of the ones I know are really nice and will let you come in.

As for what I did: I shadowed my old optometrist for about 4 days (3-4 hours a day). It was great since I got to see a couple of the patients who came back for their progress exams. Then I shadowed my other optometrist (long story) for a whole day. Both experiences were wonderful since they each had a different way of doing things, and they each were in different levels of practice.

So, bottom line, go for variety!

Sounds good..........thanks for the info.

MommyOpt,

Where do you hope to go to school? I've seen some of your other posts and we have much in common it feels like. I have 3 kids under 5 years old and plan on beginning in the summer of 09' (if all goes right). My husband and I are aiming at Indiana (he likes their basketball program :) I was just curious...it would be nice to have somebody else in my situation along the way through school!