Shadowing vs. Paid Clinical Experience vs. Clinical Volunteering vs. Non-Medical Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherlock555

Reaction score
I always thought that shadowing and volunteer hours of any kind were sufficient, but recently I've been hearing about a lot of schools that really want significant clinical experience, like an EMT or CNA or medical scribe or assistant. How true is this? What combinations of the experiences in the post title are sufficient? How is a pre-med supposed to become an EMT, let alone a non-trad with a full-time job?

I've heard specifically that volunteering (non-clinical) and shadowing are not enough, you must have significant hands-on clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I always thought that shadowing and volunteer hours of any kind were sufficient, but recently I've been hearing about a lot of schools that really want significant clinical experience, like an EMT or CNA or medical scribe or assistant. How true is this? What combinations of the experiences in the post title are sufficient? How is a pre-med supposed to become an EMT, let alone a non-trad with a full-time job?

I've heard specifically that volunteering (non-clinical) and shadowing are not enough, you must have significant hands-on clinical experience.
Nope. But I think you do for PA.
Expected ECs are something like this: 50 hours of physician shadowing including a good bit with a primary care doc, 200+ hours of clinical experiences-can be paid or volunteer- of direct patient contact. And 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community, those less fortunate than yourself.

I’d think most applicants do not have your definition of significant clinical experience. Being an EMT or a CNA is good but certainly not necessary.

Last edited:
Nope. But I think you do for PA.
Expected ECs are something like this: 50 hours of physician shadowing including a good bit with a primary care doc, 200+ hours of clinical experiences-can be paid or volunteer- of direct patient contact. And 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community, those less fortunate than yourself.

I’d think most applicants do not have your definition of significant clinical experience. Being an EMT or a CNA is good but certainly not necessary.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure you are more knowledgeable than me on the subject, but those numbers seem really high. I would think that 50 hours of physician shadowing and 100 hours of any type of volunteering would be enough. Maybe I'm wrong.