akai1412

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2015
Hey guys,

I read a couples of guides on cold calling a physician office for shadowing opportunities. Most of the guides instruct to ask to talk directly to decision maker (physician is the best). But they are mostly busy so I have to leave info and resume with the receptionist. I'm wondering if this type of indirect contact have high success rate for any of you? Have you received phone call back with offers? Thanks!

idontknowwhatnametopick

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys,

I read a couples of guides on cold calling a physician office for shadowing opportunities. Most of the guides instruct to ask to talk directly to decision maker (physician is the best). But they are mostly busy so I have to leave info and resume with the receptionist. I'm wondering if this type of indirect contact have high success rate for any of you? Have you received phone call back with offers? Thanks!
Email works much better in my opinion. Hospitals generally list all of their doctors and their email addresses on their website. For smaller offices I'd go in person (wearing professional clothes) with a resume.

Dr. Death

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
^Agreed on this. Depends where you are looking to shadow. I know one dr I shadowed in a small clinic never checks his email. One I shadowed in a hospital checks it all day.

Reactions: akai1412
OP
A

akai1412

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2015
Email works much better in my opinion. Hospitals generally list all of their doctors and their email addresses on their website. For smaller offices I'd go in person (wearing professional clothes) with a resume.
have you been able to talk with physicians directly when visit? and seem like hospital in my area do not have email list. Couldn't find single one. Time for more calling and driving around

Last edited:

idontknowwhatnametopick

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I've never spoken directly with a physician when I visit. I write a short letter of intent with my contact info and leave it with the receptionist when they say "They are busy would you like to leave your contact info?"
Exactly.

And for emails, you might have to dig pretty deep. Often, the email is [email protected] (that's what it is at the hospital I work at, as well as 2 other hospitals where I've shadowed physicians). So you could just find doctors' names and try that maybe?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I would agree with email and dont forget fax with a coherent, concise and compelling note requesting the opportunity to shadow. If you want to really work at it, look them up via google and get their medical school background. Having a line about there work and experience as a premed before entering Medical School X. Just make sure you edit it correctly for each doc. I am sure someone is saying that sounds like alot of work. It is, its scut work but necessary.

idontknowwhatnametopick

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would agree with email and dont forget fax with a coherent, concise and compelling note requesting the opportunity to shadow. If you want to really work at it, look them up via google and get their medical school background. Having a line about there work and experience as a premed before entering Medical School X. Just make sure you edit it correctly for each doc. I am sure someone is saying that sounds like alot of work. It is, its scut work but necessary.
Yeah and I've also found that including your grades, when you'll be applying to med school, and ONE OR TWO sentences about why you want to be a doctor/why you're interested in their specialty helps. They probably receive lots of requests, so keep it short and sweet but show that you're really motivated.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Start with your own family doctor.

Hey guys,

0dee

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Man this is all about luck. One day I spent an hour emailing like 10 physicians to shadow them and no response in a month. I felt discouraged but did not give up, and I did some google searching here and there then I e-mailed two doctors. The second day both responded and were happy to have me shadow them. I suggest two things, if you live close to a medical school/teaching hospital then go there and talk to them the staff and ask them. Also, ask friends/family/premed club or adviser about shadowing opportunities as well.

OP
A

akai1412

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2015
Exactly.

And for emails, you might have to dig pretty deep. Often, the email is [email protected] (that's what it is at the hospital I work at, as well as 2 other hospitals where I've shadowed physicians). So you could just find doctors' names and try that maybe?
I found the email template finally and emailed them. So far no un-deliverable responses received, so I guess the template was correct. I am not sure why physicians have formal emails but just don't list them out for contact. For other that I can't find, I visit and drop off my resume. Hopefully hear some response soon

EDIT: It failed. Will have to try again

Start with your own family doctor.
That is great way to get started. Except I haven't been to a physician in 4 years. No major illness besides light headache, which can be cured by some tabs of Advil.

Man this is all about luck. One day I spent an hour emailing like 10 physicians to shadow them and no response in a month. I felt discouraged but did not give up, and I did some google searching here and there then I e-mailed two doctors. The second day both responded and were happy to have me shadow them. I suggest two things, if you live close to a medical school/teaching hospital then go there and talk to them the staff and ask them. Also, ask friends/family/premed club or adviser about shadowing opportunities as well.
Totally my feeling. Apart from looking broadly, luck does play a role

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Do you have a family doctor? ??????

I found the email template finally and emailed them. So far no un-deliverable responses received, so I guess the template was correct. I am not sure why physicians have formal emails but just don't list them out for contact. For other that I can't find, I visit and drop off my resume. Hopefully hear some response soon

EDIT: It failed. Will have to try again

That is great way to get started. Except I haven't been to a physician in 4 years. No major illness besides light headache, which can be cured by some tabs of Advil.

Totally my feeling. Apart from looking broadly, luck does play a role

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Yes I do have a family doctor. Just haven't got any illness that necessitates a trip to the doctor in last 4 or 5 years.
Annual physical? Ever heard of those?

Reactions: md-2020

narvik2016

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
This is off-topic, but I think you should at least get a physical, OP... 4 years is a long time! Take care of yourself! :)

Strudel19

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I didn't find any success with indirect contact. I mailed out 20 letters and got 1 response from an alumni from my university/fraternity. Some kind of connection goes a long way.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Dude, call the guy up and ask to shadow! He knows you!!

Yes I do have a family doctor. Just haven't got any illness that necessitates a trip to the doctor in last 4 or 5 years.

strictlyanon

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2015
Status
Hey guys,

Over 80% of my shadowing hours I arranged this way. I did not know the doctor beforehand, I just googled and came up with a giant list, made an excel sheet, and went through calling systematically. I think I called over 10 before 1 responded.

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

Like Goro said, start with family doctor.

BeMD13

5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2012
Status
I called and spoke to a receptionist at an urgent care center. I told her how so and so did such a great job and how happy I was with my visit. Then I told her I am a pre-med student and would love to shadow him. She put me on hold and came back with his email address. I had to go through the hospital volunteer office application process to get cleared first but I was able to shadow who and where I preferred since I already had his approval.