Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

shadowing

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by stwei, Apr 19, 2004.

1. stwei

stwei Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What kind of experiences would you be looking for during the shadowing and which ones to avoid? Should a written contract be signed designating what the learning objectives are? Should you be paying a PA/physician in order to shadow them?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wickliffe2

5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Unless you are qualified as a nurse, EMT, etc, you should really not have any hands-on contact with a patient while shadowing. The main purpose of shadowing is to get a feel for how PA's interact with patients, nurses, and doctors. I see shadowing as more of a time to learn about the career than actual medical techniques/procedures (although you will pick things up along the way). I don't think you should ever have to pay to shadow a PA. In my experience, PAs tend to look out for each other and want to promote the occupation; thereby making them more than happy to help you out if at all possible. The best advise I can give for shadowing is to keep a log of patients you see and things you observe...it can be a very rewarding experience! Hope this helps! :)