Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
~85-90% of dental graduates will become gp, so it does makes sense to shadow a gp.

But how disadvantageous is it actually to have all of your shadowing hours from one specialty? Do we have a lesser chance of getting an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

~85-90% of dental graduates will become gp, so it does makes sense to shadow a gp.

But how disadvantageous is it actually to have all of your shadowing hours from one specialty? Do we have a lesser chance of getting an interview?
Just shadow a gp so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Most schools require that you have a certain amount of hours with a gp

Just shadow a gp so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Most schools require that you have a certain amount of hours with a gp

Do you know which schools require gp shadowing hours? Any examples? I've noticed they don't specify. I already have enough shadowing hours from specialty, wondering if it will be a big deal if I don't have horrible stats

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not going to look good that you don't have any GP shadowing hours - most of what you learn in dental school is going to be similar to GP work, and most students in dental school don't end up specializing. Dental schools aren't going to look favorably at a candidate that hasn't been exposed to what the majority of what dentistry is. What is the difficulty in just shadowing a general dentist?

Do you know which schools require gp shadowing hours? Any examples? I've noticed they don't specify. I already have enough shadowing hours from specialty, wondering if it will be a big deal if I don't have horrible stats
off the top of my head, I know Indiana, Tufts, LSU, Oregon State, UDM, case western, baylor all specify, but even for schools that don't specify I feel like they all are expecting gp shadowing and not specialty. And even if you have enough shadowing hours, more is always better, so I would strongly suggest getting around 50 hours of gp shadowing

Reactions: 1 user
It's not going to look good that you don't have any GP shadowing hours - most of what you learn in dental school is going to be similar to GP work, and most students in dental school don't end up specializing. Dental schools aren't going to look favorably at a candidate that hasn't been exposed to what the majority of what dentistry is. What is the difficulty in just shadowing a general dentist?

As I mentioned in my post I do understand that, but I'm wondering if schools can reject me because I don't have shadowing hours from a gp. I don't have a lot of time to fit in shadowing hours in my schedule, I mean if I have to I will. Is it a deal breaker though?

As I mentioned in my post I do understand that, but I'm wondering if schools can reject me because I don't have shadowing hours from a gp. I don't have a lot of time to fit in shadowing hours in my schedule, I mean if I have to I will. Is it a deal breaker though?

At certain schools it absolutely could be. I recommend you call the schools you applied to (or plan on applying to) and ask individually.

Reporting Shadowing hours are all honor system anyway. Just sayin