Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashMcCallister

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still trudging through my undergrad pre-reqs, so I'm looking for doctors to shadow. Is something a psychiatrist might ever allow? I'm not really sure where the line is drawn on doctor/patient confidentiality.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still trudging through my undergrad pre-reqs, so I'm looking for doctors to shadow. Is something a psychiatrist might ever allow? I'm not really sure where the line is drawn on doctor/patient confidentiality.

You'd probably have better luck ( and see more interesting patients) in a hospital/inpatient setting.

I wouldn't reccomend shadowing a doctor.

Shadowing IMHO is boring and not very interactive. Often times when I'ved shadowed docs, I just sat there, they did the work, and I'd go into a daydream because I had nothing really to do. You can only watch someone else do work for so long before you start drifting off. When you shadow, you usually have no responsibilities, and the doc is usually not teaching in an academic sense because he/she has no assigned time to give lectures. You're just watching them do their work.

My own hospital allowed undergrads to intern, run groups and interact with patients as if they were a bachelor-degree level mental health therapist. In most states these types of workers can run group therapy. That is far more interactive, will allow you to see patients on a level where you're more engaged. It'll earn you some cash and you'll get a lot more learning & fun out of it. When you are given specific job objectives, you'll going to get them done and accomplish more.

I suggest you call up psyche departments at local hospitals & see what opputrunities they have available.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds quite a bit more like what I had in mind, thanks.

I'd only slightly disagree about shadowing. I agree with what whopper describes as better opportunities however, with shadowing, you could meet with a variety of doctors for short periods of time just to get some quick exposure to different ways of practicing medicine. Also shadowing is not a bad idea if you know a doctor and believe he'd be fun to work with and helpful.

Remember also that psych exposure is great, but if you're focused on getting into med school, you should consider getting wider exposure ... that's easier with shadowing. So shadowing has its place, though also its limits.

I definitely agree with the well rounded aspect. I'm doing my volunteer work like that so I'll be able to have all different experiences. 6 months in the ER, 6 months in Oncology, 6 months in the ICU. I was sort of under the impression that volunteer work for psych would pretty much consist of menial clerical work and I wouldn't get much exposure (which is why I was looking into shadowing).

At any rate, I've wasted enough of this forum's space with undergrad questions. Thanks for the help!

I definitely agree with the well rounded aspect. I'm doing my volunteer work like that so I'll be able to have all different experiences. 6 months in the ER, 6 months in Oncology, 6 months in the ICU. I was sort of under the impression that volunteer work for psych would pretty much consist of menial clerical work and I wouldn't get much exposure (which is why I was looking into shadowing).

At any rate, I've wasted enough of this forum's space with undergrad questions. Thanks for the help!

Oh, like we wouldn't waste it well enough ourselves! :D
Come back and hang with us anytime.