1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowy Behavior

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kamandsam, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would like to begin shadowing sometime in the next week or so and would like to know where everyone performed their shadowing hours? What is better, a standard dental office or a clinic for low-income folks? Also, any other ideas about how to improve this component of the application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.:D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  4. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#3 AlwaysImproving, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. ChrisM07

ChrisM07 Dental Student
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I spent a whole month out of the past 2 summers shadowing. I shadowed a general dentist and a oral surgeon. I got to see a lot of cool things and towards the end, I got to help out around the place, like clean tools and autoclave stuff. I think both would be a good idea to see. With a standard practice, you may only see what the dentist's specialty is. In a clinic you will get to see everything, maybe in one day.

6. banana87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i would try to do a mix of different types of offices. I shadowed in a general dentist office with 1 dentist, a gen office with 3 dentists, several different specialties, and in a low-income clinic. I think that each experience gave me a different insight to different aspects of the field and helped me know what I wanted to do better. I did a majority of my shadowing in one of the general dentists office, just because I clicked with the dentist there the best (and he wrote my rec letter). Try a bunch of different offices, and if you find one you like a lot, spend more time there then the rest. hope this helps!!

7. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thank you for the replies. They are very much helpful. I think I will do as you all have said and try out a few different offices. How many hours should I aim for before I apply next summer?