• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Shadowy Behavior

kamandsam

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
California
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I would like to begin shadowing sometime in the next week or so and would like to know where everyone performed their shadowing hours? What is better, a standard dental office or a clinic for low-income folks? Also, any other ideas about how to improve this component of the application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.:D

About the Ads

ChrisM07

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2007
  1. Dental Student
I spent a whole month out of the past 2 summers shadowing. I shadowed a general dentist and a oral surgeon. I got to see a lot of cool things and towards the end, I got to help out around the place, like clean tools and autoclave stuff. I think both would be a good idea to see. With a standard practice, you may only see what the dentist's specialty is. In a clinic you will get to see everything, maybe in one day.

banana87

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2008
Michigan
  1. Pre-Dental
i would try to do a mix of different types of offices. I shadowed in a general dentist office with 1 dentist, a gen office with 3 dentists, several different specialties, and in a low-income clinic. I think that each experience gave me a different insight to different aspects of the field and helped me know what I wanted to do better. I did a majority of my shadowing in one of the general dentists office, just because I clicked with the dentist there the best (and he wrote my rec letter). Try a bunch of different offices, and if you find one you like a lot, spend more time there then the rest. hope this helps!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.