1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Shadowy Behavior

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kamandsam, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would like to begin shadowing sometime in the next week or so and would like to know where everyone performed their shadowing hours? What is better, a standard dental office or a clinic for low-income folks? Also, any other ideas about how to improve this component of the application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.:D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  4. AlwaysImproving

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#3 AlwaysImproving, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. ChrisM07

ChrisM07 Dental Student
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I spent a whole month out of the past 2 summers shadowing. I shadowed a general dentist and a oral surgeon. I got to see a lot of cool things and towards the end, I got to help out around the place, like clean tools and autoclave stuff. I think both would be a good idea to see. With a standard practice, you may only see what the dentist's specialty is. In a clinic you will get to see everything, maybe in one day.

6. banana87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i would try to do a mix of different types of offices. I shadowed in a general dentist office with 1 dentist, a gen office with 3 dentists, several different specialties, and in a low-income clinic. I think that each experience gave me a different insight to different aspects of the field and helped me know what I wanted to do better. I did a majority of my shadowing in one of the general dentists office, just because I clicked with the dentist there the best (and he wrote my rec letter). Try a bunch of different offices, and if you find one you like a lot, spend more time there then the rest. hope this helps!!

7. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thank you for the replies. They are very much helpful. I think I will do as you all have said and try out a few different offices. How many hours should I aim for before I apply next summer?