Shadowy Behavior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamandsam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to begin shadowing sometime in the next week or so and would like to know where everyone performed their shadowing hours? What is better, a standard dental office or a clinic for low-income folks? Also, any other ideas about how to improve this component of the application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent a whole month out of the past 2 summers shadowing. I shadowed a general dentist and a oral surgeon. I got to see a lot of cool things and towards the end, I got to help out around the place, like clean tools and autoclave stuff. I think both would be a good idea to see. With a standard practice, you may only see what the dentist's specialty is. In a clinic you will get to see everything, maybe in one day.

i would try to do a mix of different types of offices. I shadowed in a general dentist office with 1 dentist, a gen office with 3 dentists, several different specialties, and in a low-income clinic. I think that each experience gave me a different insight to different aspects of the field and helped me know what I wanted to do better. I did a majority of my shadowing in one of the general dentists office, just because I clicked with the dentist there the best (and he wrote my rec letter). Try a bunch of different offices, and if you find one you like a lot, spend more time there then the rest. hope this helps!!

Thank you for the replies. They are very much helpful. I think I will do as you all have said and try out a few different offices. How many hours should I aim for before I apply next summer?