Share your mnemonic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to have a thread with mnemonics. I know a lot of people use mnemonics....
Here are some of mine:
1) Blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, red as a beet, hot as hell, dry as a bone, the bowel and bladder lose their tone, and the heart runs alone
Side effects of anticholinergic
2) side effects of cholenergics: DUMBELLS - Diarrhea, Urination, Miosis, Bradycardia, Emesis, Lacrimation, Lethargy and Salivation

These are very common, but I like them.
Would you please share your mnemonics?

Members don't see this ad.

This could be the greatest thread EVER.

I'll contribute a Rap about Community Acquired Pneumonia
the things in parentheses are explanations for the rhymes. This is my magnus opus

To Treat Community Acquired Pneumonia:

If you have pneumonia
and there's nothing wrong, (No Additional Risk Factors)
Macro or Doxy (Give Macrolide or Doxycycline Monotherapy)
They all get along

If You're old Diabetic (Age & Diabetes are risk factors so if you have any additional risks)
and you just can't win
Add Levo or Moxi (Add Levoflox or Moxiflox to Macro or Doxy)
Or Augmentin

If you're going to the Hospital (If you're admitting them into the hospital for CAP)
Macro your Taxis (Give Macrolide)
or Just go alone (Levo or Moxi monotherapy is ok if admitting to hospital for CAP)
Take Levo or Moxi

I feel like there's one more verse about adding Levo/Moxi with a Macrolide if it's even more serious but I forgot it.

I also have a antibiotic Rap if anyone's interested:

Never ever give Fluoroquinolone
Antacids
You'll just get
Metallic acids (Ok this verse sucks but whatever. Don't give FQ with Antacids. I feel like you should avoid Mg or Ca2+ supplements too but I'm not sure.)

GI QTC CNS & Rash
Tendonitis, Tendon rupture
Everything you bash (Side effects of FQ: GI problems, QTC prolongation, CNS & Rash. Also Tendonitis)

Azithromycin goes into lungs
CAP Monotherapy just got stung (Azithromycin is OK for CAP monotherapy)

Levoflox comes out in piss (Levoflox is renally excreted vs Moxi which is hepatically cleared
CAP Monotherapy is the Diss (Levoflox is OK for CAP Monotherapy)
Moxiflox is good for the brain (Moxi penetrates the CNS well)
Just make sure it doesn't rain

I hate ID so bad.

I had a pdf that had literally hundreds of these in them. Some of them I never even felt the need to make a mnemonic for, but I thought were clever none the less.

Benzos that aren't hepatically metabolized are Over The Liver: oxazepam, temazepam, lorazepam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a pdf that had literally hundreds of these in them. Some of them I never even felt the need to make a mnemonic for, but I thought were clever none the less.

Benzos that aren't hepatically metabolized are Over The Liver: oxazepam, temazepam, lorazepam.

that is awesome!
Mine was LOT

do you still have that pdf?

To Treat Community Acquired Pneumonia:

If you have pneumonia
Macro or Doxy (Give Macrolid]e or Doxycycline Monotherapy)
They all get along

Here is mine: simple (no comorbidities) CAP ( like a drinking cap) has a lid (Macrolide)

Last edited:
Then ICU HAP (both have 3 letters) needs 3 antibiotics
Antipseudomonal BL, Antipseudomonal FQ and Vanco

Last edited:
disease state that need vanc trough of 15-20.: triple B, heart and lung.

Brain: meningitis
Blood: bacteremia , sepsis
Bone: osteomyelitis
Heart: endocarditis
Lung: pneumonia

If you can answer the question my preceptor asked me: "what's the tissue penetration" for 3 of the above, you just earned some browney points.

Since I graduated, 2011 IDSA guideline added 2 more:
Necrotizing fascitis: hopefully you won't encounter too many of those.
MRSA with MIC of >/=1: Check your hospitial's antibiogram to see if MIC creep is an issue. I usually wouldn't recommend vanc for MIC of 2.

Last edited:
disease state that need vanc trough of 15-20.: triple B, heart and lung.

Brain: meningitis
Bacteremia: sepsis
Bone: osteomyelitis
Heart: endocarditis
Lung: pneumonia

If you can answer the question my preceptor asked me: "what's the tissue penetration" for 3 of the above, you just earned some browney points.

Since I graduated, 2011 IDSA guideline added 2 more:
Necrotizing fascitis: hopefully you won't encounter too many of those.
MRSA with MIC of >/=1: Check your hospitial's antibiogram to see if MIC creep is an issue. I usually wouldn't recommend vanc for MIC of 2.
great! I love it!

Cholinergic (parasympathomimetic) effects:

Salivation
Lacrimation
Urination
Defecation
Gastric
Emptying

Therefore anticholinergic effects would be anti-SLUDGE

Cute as a Flute

Cutivate (Brand) = Fluticasone (Generic)

Retail ingenuity at its finest.

Cholinergic (parasympathomimetic) effects:

Salivation
Lacrimation
Urination
Defecation
Gastric
Emptying

Therefore anticholinergic effects would be anti-SLUDGE
I learned SLUDGE with the last two being GI upset and Emesis

Currently studying for NAPLEX, so can post tsome things as I come across them.

Meloxicam, etodolac and nabumetone are 3 relatively COX-2 selective NSAIDs (besides the obvious one of celecoxib).

Mnemonic: MEN have COX.

Will share any other ones I come across.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have pneumonia
Macro or Doxy (Give Macrolide or Doxycycline Monotherapy)
They all get along

If You're old Diabetic (Age & Diabetes are risk factors so if you have any additional risks)
and you just can't win
Or Augmentin
Are you out of your mind? No freakin' way!!! My poor grandpa!

This is what everyone's face at the hospital where I worked looked like whenever I told them that my 82 year old grandfather with ILD had been put on Augmentin for pneumonia... completely shocked!

Last edited:
For some reason on rotations I always had a hard time remembering which salt form of metoprolol is XL so

succinate lasts sooo long but tartrate times out.

Meloxicam, etodolac and nabumetone are 3 relatively COX-2 selective NSAIDs (besides the obvious one of celecoxib).

Omg hahahaha love this one!

Oh snap, so no augmentin for elderly patients? Is it because of possible kidney dysfunction?

Are you out of your mind? No freakin' way!!! My poor grandpa!

This is what everyone's face at the hospital where I worked looked like whenever I told them that my 82 year old grandfather with ILD had been put on Augmentin for pneumonia... completely shocked!

what's wrong with augmentin in elderly? Unless you're worried about cdif or the patient develops severe diarrhea (dehydration?) or hypersensitivity. I'm missing something here...

It's not the best choice but why isn't it a choice?

what's wrong with augmentin in elderly? Unless you're worried about cdif or the patient develops severe diarrhea (dehydration?) or hypersensitivity. I'm missing something here...

It's not the best choice but why isn't it a choice?

I believe augmentin alone doesn't cover your atypicals. You can use it as a combo though (source: IDSA guidelines).
So, what's wrong with augmentin as a combo? Just curious, as the guidelines actually have it listed as a preferred agent (though a lot of hosps use ceftriaxone).

Cute as a Flute

Cutivate (Brand) = Fluticasone (Generic)

Retail ingenuity at its finest.

That is awesome! Thank you!

I had a hard time differentiating between Metoprolol succinate and tartrate.
Here what helps me: ER sucs (Metoprolol Extended release is succinate)

Love it!
I am studying for NAPLEX too!

I believe augmentin alone doesn't cover your atypicals. You can use it as a combo though (source: IDSA guidelines).
So, what's wrong with augmentin as a combo? Just curious, as the guidelines actually have it listed as a preferred agent (though a lot of hosps use ceftriaxone).

Right but she's acting like you can never give it to elderly.

As a combo would probably be decent (not great) but not as monotherapy. We're at the point where the max max dose is preferred, Augmentin 2g BID - not good! What's the point in using a washed up drug in an 82 year old with ILD? He was given a dose that was too low as well, Augmentin 875 BID. Poor grandpa! Good thing we got it changed to Levaquin. :D

As a combo would probably be decent (not great) but not as monotherapy. We're at the point where the max max dose is preferred, Augmentin 2g BID - not good! What's the point in using a washed up drug in an 82 year old with ILD? He was given a dose that was too low as well, Augmentin 875 BID. Poor grandpa! Good thing we got it changed to Levaquin. :D

Well, to be fair, the person who posted wrote "add levaquin", not use it alone.

No. Read:

If you go to the recommendations, IDS as you suggested, it doesn't mention adding anything to respiratory fluoroquinolones or Augmentin, only beta lactams plus a macrolide.

Edit: And unfortunately, the NP still under dosed his Levaquin at 500mg. :scared:

Interestingly, the azithro article out this month said there was no statistically significant difference in mortality from cardiovascular or otherwise between levo and azithro. Either way your QTc be on the up and up :cool:

No. Read:

If you go to the recommendations, IDS as you suggested, it doesn't mention adding anything to respiratory fluoroquinolones or Augmentin, only beta lactams plus a macrolide.

Edit: And unfortunately, the NP still under dosed his Levaquin at 500mg. :scared:

It says "If You're old Diabetic (Age & Diabetes are risk factors so if you have any additional risks)
and you just can't win
Or Augmentin"

Also, per guidelines for comorbidities:
"A b-lactam plus a macrolide (strong recommendation;
level I evidence) (High-dose amoxicillin [e.g.,
1 g 3 times daily] or amoxicillin-clavulanate [2 g 2
times daily] is preferred; alternatives include ceftriaxone,
cefpodoxime, and cefuroxime [500 mg 2
times daily]; doxycycline [level II evidence] is an
alternative to the macrolide.)"

I do agree, however, that that's a really high dose of Augmentin. Better to use ceftriaxone.

If I posted anything wrong in this thread, don't feel like talking about it anymore, as the issue has been discussed as much as needed.

Last edited:
It says "If You're old Diabetic (Age & Diabetes are risk factors so if you have any additional risks)
and you just can't win
Or Augmentin"

Also, per guidelines for comorbidities:
"A b-lactam plus a macrolide (strong recommendation;
level I evidence) (High-dose amoxicillin [e.g.,
1 g 3 times daily] or amoxicillin-clavulanate [2 g 2
times daily] is preferred; alternatives include ceftriaxone,
cefpodoxime, and cefuroxime [500 mg 2
times daily]; doxycycline [level II evidence] is an
alternative to the macrolide.)"

I do agree, however, that that's a really high dose of Augmentin. Better to use ceftriaxone.
If I posted anything wrong in this thread, don't feel like talking about it anymore, as the issue has been discussed as much as needed.
Yeah, I think the confusion was that the "or augmentin" is on a different line. "add levo, moxi, or augmentin" is reasonable considering the first part was macrolide. That's actually something that I've got confused on for several different treatment protocols: we need parenthesis for the ANDs and ORs.

Another one:
Naratriptan and frovatriptan have the longest half-lives of all triptans, and also have a longer onset of action.

Mnemonic: Not Fast (N for naratriptan, F for frovatriptan).

Here's my contribution:
statin equivalencies for LDL lowering ~40%

Rosuvastatin 5mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Simvastatin 40mg, Lovastatin 80mg, Pravastatin 80mg, Fluvastatin 80mg

Mnemonic - RASLPF 5-20-40-80

HIV drugs
NRTIs: abacavir, didanosine, emtricitabine, lamivudine, stavudine, tenofovir, zidovudine
mnemonic: Adel's Tz

NNRTIs: delavirdine, efavirenz, etravirine, nevirapine, rilpivirine
mnemonic: Deen R

PIs: atazanavir, darunavir, fosamprenavir, indinavir, lopinavir, nelfinavir, (ritonavir), saquinavir, tipranavir

mnemonic: Adfil nst - avir

And a random one for Reyataz b/c of hyperbilirubinemia
atazanavir = banana-vir

only PI you don't have to boost - Viracept = Vira-except (nelfinavir)

easy way to remember which HIV meds are protease inhibitors: all meds that end in "-navir".

After this, it's easy to remember the 3 other that ends in "-vir", they are RAT: R (raltegravir) is integrase inhibitor, AT (abacavir, tenofovir) are nukes.

class 1 antiarrhythmics
· Class IA: double quarter pounder: disopyramide, quinidine, procainamide
· Class IB: mayo lettuce tomato pickles: mexiletine, lidocaine, tocainamide, phenytoin
· Class IC: more fries please: moricizine, flecainide, propafenone

I always get these confused for heartburn/ GERD:

PEPcid, PREvacid, PRILosec, PROtonix(alphabetical)

FLOP: (famotidine lansoprazole omeprazole pantoprazole)

Calcium CARBonate has to be taken with food (think carbonate - carbohydrate), and calcium citrate can be taken without regard to meals.

Easy way to remember the MAOIs

STRIP (selegiline, tranylcypromine, rasagiline, isocarboxazid, phenelzine)

Important Triptans

ZIM (zomig, Imitrex, Maxalt) contraindicated with MAOIs

MZ (Maxalt, Zomig) both have ODT

ZI (Zomig, Imitrex) both have injections
Eletriptan is contraindicated with 3A4 inhibitors

Tigecycline doesn't cover the Ps (Pseudomonas, Proteus, Providencia)

Interferon Beta 1"a" is Avonex/Rebif and 1"b" is Betaseron/Extavia

Probably more, but those are the ones I can think of for now. Mostly just stuff I'm memorizing for the board exam at this point because we all know MAOIs aren't prescribed anymore.

Alright this thread got me thinking that creating some of these would be a great way to study for NAPLEX so here is some helpful stuff for NAPLEX people...feedback is much appreciated....

Anti-Psychotics
High EPS= Low sedation, Low CV effects, Low Anti-Cholinergic Effects
Low EPS= moderate/high sedation, moderate/High CV effects, High Anti-cholinergic
Medications (Generic Name) that have an E in their name after the first 4 letters that is not the last letter in the name (i.e. halopEridol) have high EPS

CHF
LVF=CHOPPED
Cyanosis, Hemoptysis, Orthopena, Paroxsymal Nocturnal Dyspnea, Pulmonary Edema, Dyspnea
LEFT= EF< 40%
RVF= GRAPHES
Gallop Rhythm, Ascites, Pulmonary Hypertension, Edema, Splenomegaly
Drugs that Exacerbate CHF
DRUGS WITH Negative Inotropic Effects
ABC's
Antiarrythmics, Beta-Blockers , CCB’s
Cardiotoxic (HIGH VOLTAGE CARDIO)-Rock and Roll Reference
ACDC
Amphetamines, Cocaine, Daunomycin/Doxorubicin, Cyclophosphamide
SALEN HDG (Sodium/water retainers) “Salen Hot Dogs”
Salicylate, Androgen, Licorice, Estrogen, NSAIDs, High sodium Drugs, Glucocorticoids

Warfarin Colors –While Your Dog LOoks around Bag Brown and Light Green Poop Please
1 mg- Pink
2 mg- Purple
2.5-Light green
3 mg- Brown
4 mg- Blue
5 mg- light orange
6 mg- Dark Green
7.5 mg- Yellow
10 mg- White

I am working on some for Anti-epileptics and ID

SALEN HDG (Sodium/water retainers) “Salen Hot Dogs”
Salicylate, Androgen, Licorice, Estrogen, NSAIDs, High sodium Drugs, Glucocorticoids
I like this, although Sahlens are pretty regional, so other posters may not have a clue what you mean. Your username may be Sabres, but they're the official hot dog of the Bills.

Warfarin Colors &#8211;While Your Dog LOoks around Bag Brown and Light Green Poop Please
1 mg- Pink
2 mg- Purple
2.5-Light green
3 mg- Brown
4 mg- Blue
5 mg- light orange
6 mg- Dark Green
7.5 mg- Yellow
10 mg- White

I am working on some for Anti-epileptics and ID

I'm sorry...what?

Oh, it's backwards.

One of the few mnemonics I can share that would make sense to you all is how to remember that the sartans are ARBs. Say "sartan" like a redneck so sar-tun instead of sar-tan and say sartan arb in a redneck accent. You'll never forget it. Sartan arb. Sartan arb. Sartan arb.

You guys are awesome!
I just used on Friday men love cox :) its so easy to remember!

What about orac contraception? I am dying there with all those feminine names

You guys are awesome!
I just used on Friday men love cox :) its so easy to remember!

What about orac contraception? I am dying there with all those feminine names

Lol it was have, not love, but whatever helps u remember i guess.

I have one that a preceptor taught me on rotations....

It has to do with the clotting factors that Warfarin inhibits in order of half life (shortest to longest).

"SNOT"

S= Seven (~6hr)
N= Nine (~24hr)
O= Ten (the O in SNOT is the zero for the 10) (~40hrs)
T= Two (~60hrs) (THROMBIN)

This acronym doesn't account for the anticoagulant factors Protein C (8hrs) and Protein S (~40hrs) which as you can see by the short half life of Protein C is why warfarin can be pro-thrombotic initially (hence bridging with another agent like heparin).

to play off the anticholinergic effects

can't see
can't spit
can't pee
can't ****

Lio = T3 (3 letters)
Levo = T4 (4 letters)

When dealing with someone with altered mental status, give them a SNOT rocket.

Sugar
Narcan
Oxygen
Thiamine

One of the few mnemonics I can share that would make sense to you all is how to remember that the sartans are ARBs. Say "sartan" like a redneck so sar-tun instead of sar-tan and say sartan arb in a redneck accent. You'll never forget it. Sartan arb. Sartan arb. Sartan arb.

I believe "-sartan" actually comes from Selective Angiotensin RecepTor ANtagonist, which is a pretty good mnemonic itself.