Share your thoughts please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So i am a graduate from georgetown

My cgpa is 3.12/sgpa 3.04

Major in human sci minored in math

Have not failed any classes and somewhat of an upper trend

My dat is pa25/ts22/aa22

Over couple hundred shadowing hrs

Wrote my senior thesis/proposal on carbonated beverages and periodontitis (cross sectional study on the relationship between beverages and periodontitis development)

Close to 60hrs volunteer service

Do you think i should opt to a masters program rather than apply this cycle?

What are your thoughts?

Another question

In order to achieve residency do you have to live in that state for three consecutive years?

I lived in texas for 10 yrs, got my citizenship in maryland, and recently moved to california w cali drivers license

Am i considered a cali resident?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Fascinating ICS

Members don't see this ad.

Your DATs are pretty good and your GPA is pretty low. If you haven't applied for the Masters programs for this coming Fall, its kind of late. I suggest that if you have everything else in order for Dental School (Letters, PS, etc.) that you appy as early as possible for this comnig cycle. If you gain acceptance, then great! If not, its probably because of your GPA, and you should then elect to take the masters.

However, If you have applied to Masters and you have been accepted, I would suggest (if money isn't a problem) that you enroll in the program AND apply to dental schools this cycle. If anything, schools may elect to see your academic update in the winter, and evidence of good grades in your courses may sway them.

In terms of gaining state-residency.. it depends on the state. I believe in California you need to show that you have lived them for over a year (366 days), in addition prove you have an intent to make cali your permanent home. I know in new york you can apply for state residency after living in the state for atleast 1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks

Its now a little over a year but i was just curious bc i remembered state schools for undergrad give u in-state benefits after three years or something

Also are there smp programs u might suggest around cali?

Thanks

Its now a little over a year but i was just curious bc i remembered state schools for undergrad give u in-state benefits after three years or something

Also are there smp programs u might suggest around cali?

I don't have any experiences with the SMPs because I never applied to/attended one. I don't think there is an SMP specifically for pre-dents in Cali.

Here is a list of other masters/smp:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

Take about 30 cred of postbac or do a 1 year masters. You'd have no problem getting in, given that you're remotely charismatic at all. Forget residency. Apply broadly and give every private school a thought. Don't count on getting into cali schools unless you're 3.7+ through undergrad at this point. Those schools are nutty.