"Shared" Exams

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by racerx, Jan 14, 2002.

1. racerx

racerx ASA Member

Attending Physician
    In my Chemistry II class, the professor announced that besides quizzes, labs, etc. for credit; we would take three exams during the semester. OK, no problem. However, the catch is that his exams are too large for one person do do. So, he divides the class up into groups of three and each group completes one exam, by dividing the questions up amongst themselves. Then, one answer sheet is handed in and the three people receive the same grade.

I don't want to sound like a gunner, but science grades do have some importance in gaining acceptance into medical school. As such, I don't really feel comfortable with trusting a large portion of my total grade to two other individuals who's knowledge and dedication to learning chemistry is an unknown. (at least until the grades from the first exam come back) :(

I don't mind working labs with others, as we still hand in our own lab reports; tutoring, or getting together in study groups. However, my feeling is that medical schools will evaluate my grades as mine alone. Being that this may be the case, I'd like those grades to actually be 100% mine, not 33%.

Sorry, I just had to vent. It really makes me feel uncomfortable.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, how was it for you?

Thanks,

Racerx

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

4. jaeida8

jaeida8 Senior Member

Are you in the same group of 3 the entire semester or does the professor randomly assign you on test day?

5. racerx

racerx ASA Member

Attending Physician

6. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

How do you think they feel about you? Probably the same way. You should've at least gotten to know your group before you bailed- you may have been able to get out with a good grade studying only 1/3rd as much. --Trek

7. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member

I think I would have done the same thing racerx. It's not worth the gamble. What a weird way to go about it? I've never heard of anything like it!

8. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

I agree. I wouldn't want to chance it... That seems like such a strange way to go about the grading...

9. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    That's crazy! We have group quizzes in our Gen Chem II, but even then the students do their own quiz and then do the same quiz in groups of 3, their final grade is the average of the two. But exams?! Come on! That's totally wack.

10. racerx

racerx ASA Member

Attending Physician