Shelf exam scores and residencies

Started by deleted102545
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted102545

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just learned that I did not do too well on my ob/gyn shelf as I was pretty sick the morning I took it so there is a chance I will not make a B in the course. I knew I wasn't going to do as well as I had hoped but I did not expect it to be this poor. How does this look to residency programs?
 
Tough luck. It might affect your standing at certain residency programs but great letters and a better grade on your sub-i will help. Talk to your program director or advisor now to figure out what to do. A reassuring phone call from them to the programs you are considering can be very helpful during the application process.
 
I'd second what Blynch said and am in the same situation. I was told, honor the SubI or another early Ob-Gyn course and you'll be fine. That and a good letter explainin a bad test day pretty much absolve the grade. That is as long as you had really good eval from your rotation otherwise. I was described as one of the best in the class, but got a 15 (ouch) on my shelf. I guess don't worry about it. Try hard and something will work out!