Shelf Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on studying for NBME shelf test? I do really well on my clerkships as far as evals, but I always barely miss honors just because of the shelf test and I think its going to screw me when I apply for residency. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Soon2BENT said:
Does anyone have advice on studying for NBME shelf test? I do really well on my clerkships as far as evals, but I always barely miss honors just because of the shelf test and I think its going to screw me when I apply for residency. Any advice?

Yes, you should find what the primary text the residents are reading for the particular rotation and read it. Get Up to Date articles on patients you've seen because they have good management plans. Then get a hold of a good question book and do the questions. Sign up for Q bank and do the section pertaining to the rotation you're on. Then spend the last week reviewing the notes you've made and review the High Yield section for that rotation in a First Aid type book (First Aid for the Wards, or they have specific texts for each one).

Or, you could alternatively just pay them off.

However, I've gone the route of taking the stick out of my ass, and stopped worrying that I'm ONLY high passing - or in real life ONLY passing. You know if your evals are as good as you think and you rock the Steps, I think they can forgive the occasional high pass. :laugh: