Shelter medicine questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hawaiiandaisy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I'm applying to vet schools and am strongly interested in specializing in shelter medicine🙂
I interned in a large shelter this summer and was hooked! I'm starting to volunteer at my local shelter to get more hours but am unsure how else to really get experience working in shelter med?
I'm also wondering if anybody has any experience with the shelter med programs at their vet school and can tell me more about it and what to look for when deciding between schools?
I looked at Uf's shelter med masters program and would love to hear some feedback about what it is like and if it is worth doing? Also what are your thoughts on that program vs. completing an MPH degree?
I've done some research about the field and really enjoyed the environment when I worked there this summer but if anybody could tell me more about their experiences, that would be great! Thank you🙂
 
Try spending a lot of time in a bunch of different shelters, because it's great to be a vet in a well run shelter that respect vets enough to allow them to be final say in animal health matters/policies for the shelter. But that doesn't happen as often as you'd think.

Yes, there can be a HUGE difference between different shelters, not only in their medicine, but also in their philosophies (what their goals are and how they plan to reach them) and their governance (i.e. who actually gets to make what decisions). I don't have any experience with specific 'shelter medicine" programs, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I don't know anything about UF's shelter med masters, but we also have a shelter medicine certificate that you can complete during the course of the DVM program. I am considering doing the certificate, I'm still only a first year though, so I won't get to start any of the classes until this summer. As far as I'm aware, it's a couple of online classes, and then two externships and a clerkship. I've heard from some of the upperclassmen that the classes are pretty useful and very applicable if you're sure you want to be a shelter vet. If you want more information, check out: http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/certificate-programs/on-campus-certificate/ I also definitely second what everyone else has said, you should definitely try to experience how things are done in different shelters!

Also if you're considering an MPH, I have a few friends that are doing a dual DVM/MPH at UF. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it myself, but here's a page with some more info on UF's program: http://mph.ufl.edu/programs/collaborative-degree-programs/dvm_mph/
 
Also shelter med is working on becoming a specialty of its own. So if you're really interested, I would maybe wait to commit to anything until the deetz are out for that. It would be a huge bummer if a masters degree ended up being a big money sink in a field without too much money to begin with, if you're going to end up pursuing a residency in shelter med down the road.
 
I second volunteering/working at different shelters. I've volunteered/worked in 4 shelters. 1 w/ a full time vet, 1 with multiple full time vets, 1 with part time vet and 1 with "part time" vet but pretty much comes in twice a week to say "euthanize, euthanize, euthanize, etc, etc" the difference between a well-run shelter with a lot of donors and resources is significantly different from one with little to no organization and is extremely underfunded (or a mixture of those factors). Wanting to be a shelter med vet myself one day, these experiences have been very eye-opening.. I can't stress enough how important it is to experience multiple shelter systems.
 
Thanks everyone so much for your replies🙂
I'm definitely going to try to volunteer in as many shelters as possible before concretely deciding on a specialty...
Unfortunately, I live on an island and we only have one "humane society" that is very underfunded! This summer I interned at the Oregon humane society, which was a totally different environment -tons of money, vets, and resources!
Do you think that volunteering at various animal rescue organizations could be helpful? I'm taking 17 credits this semester, trying to maintain my 4.0 gap, volunteering at a vet clinic, and the local humane society. I'm trying to get the best results for my time right now and just wondering if it would be more valuable for me to accumulate more animal hours at these organizations or to try and get more veterinary experience at a small animal clinic?
Thanks for the info about the programs, do you know if it's difficult to get into them or if people have had trouble completing the coursework?
 
I have no experience in shelters other than adopting my dog and dropping off cats that are found on-property at my internship, so can't give you any direct advice about that....but here's MSU's new program: http://cvm.msu.edu/about-the-colleg...azine/perspectives-fall-2013/shelter-medicine . I'd say you want vet experience over animal hours. You can have thousands of animal hours, but probably wouldn't get in anywhere without vet experience.
 
Don't forget spay and neuter clinics! There are international one like VIDAS and also those in the US. Look for a low cost spay and neuter program near you.
 
Thanks everyone so much for your replies🙂
I'm definitely going to try to volunteer in as many shelters as possible before concretely deciding on a specialty...
Unfortunately, I live on an island and we only have one "humane society" that is very underfunded! This summer I interned at the Oregon humane society, which was a totally different environment -tons of money, vets, and resources!
Do you think that volunteering at various animal rescue organizations could be helpful? I'm taking 17 credits this semester, trying to maintain my 4.0 gap, volunteering at a vet clinic, and the local humane society. I'm trying to get the best results for my time right now and just wondering if it would be more valuable for me to accumulate more animal hours at these organizations or to try and get more veterinary experience at a small animal clinic?
Thanks for the info about the programs, do you know if it's difficult to get into them or if people have had trouble completing the coursework?

UF has a HUGE shelter med program with a gazillion opportunities. The Shelter Med certificate is open to anyone you do not have to 'get in' to anything. Focus on veterinarian experiences an them apply to schools with shelter programs and worry about specializing in actual vet school.
 
This is kind of a random question. I haven't been able to shadow a shelter med vet or be in that environment (other than volunteering in the gift shop or outreach for the shelter) and wanted to know the main differences between how a shelter is run versus small animal practice? I'm guessing its high volume and faster paced? Is there a higher level of physical danger when working in a shelter?
 
This is kind of a random question. I haven't been able to shadow a shelter med vet or be in that environment (other than volunteering in the gift shop or outreach for the shelter) and wanted to know the main differences between how a shelter is run versus small animal practice? I'm guessing its high volume and faster paced? Is there a higher level of physical danger when working in a shelter?

Your goal in private practice is to take care of the individual needs of each patient that you see in a way that works for the client (your main customer). You do whatever it takes to take the best care of each individual patient to the extent that the client allows. So you generally take care of a greater range of things. You need to know the current trends in pet products, available diagnostics, drugs, etc... You deal with referral situations with pets that need specialty care, and do whatever it takes to keep each pet alive with a good quality of life for as long as possible. You deal with needing to answer all the questions that people have about their pets (from what to feed them, why does my pet do that? How do I stop my pet from... etc...). You have to work within the confines of how the client wants to manage the pet at home. Your ability to care for the pet really depends greatly in the client. The cost of every little thing you do matters. The pace of your job in this setting is dependent on how busy the practice is. It can be incredibly fast paced, because you don't want to keep your appointments waiting.

Your goal as a shelter vet is population health, and individual needs of each patient is secondary. You have individual patients that need more care, the pets with the wretched mouth that needs full mouth extractions, trauma patients that need some basic ortho procedures, eyes that need to be taken out, the occasional medicine cases. How many of these more extended care cases you have the opportunity to handle depends greatly on the available resources of the shelter (your main customer) in terms of time/money available. Your focus is not as much on individualizing care to meet the needs of each animal, but rather to come up with as all encompassing and streamlined, dummyproofed protocol as possible so that laystaff can do a majority of the care instead of you. Vaccination, deworming, cleaning, testing, isolation, anesthesia protocols. All that is very important. You have a huge role in preventing and dealing with disease outbreaks. You also deal with a lot of cruelty and hoarding situations. Those are dealt with a little differently from the rest of your shelter cases because they are legal cases and the animals are evidence. You don't need to know about all the newest products out there, because a vast majority of it you have no need for. In some shelters you have decision making power, in others, all your decisions go through laystaff management. You generally don't need to ask for permission to do every little thing for every patient. And to an extent, as long as you work within your budget, you can decide on treatment for the animals without getting others involved (e.g. Puppy with a broken leg). For some shelters you have one vet who does everything, others separate the job in those that primarily do spay/neuter vs those that primarily take care of medicine. For a spay/neuter vet, your job is to be as efficient as possible and fix as many animals as you possibly can. Your goal is to make sure everyone leaves the building altered.

Physical danger really depends on how well the place is managed. I've probably had to put myself in more physical danger in private practice than in shelters. I ran into more dangerous animals in shelters, but the places I was at were better equipped than most private practices in dealing with them. We had dart guns, used rabies poles more often, syringe poles, etc... The fractious animals got euthanized, and didn't need xrays and blood draws and nail trims...

In both settings, your autonomy and ability to practice the way you want depends entirely on how each place is managed. There are horrible shelters with horrible management that I would never work for because as a vet your hands are tied all the time by ignorant laystaff who have no idea what they're talking about. There are horrible private practices with absolutely nightmarish ways of operating and treating their vets. Just like there are practices with clientele that can't afford most of what you want to offer, there are many shelters that can't afford to let you treat many of their pets so that essentially all non healthy super adoptable pets (and even some of those) get euthanized. Some very well funded shelters can do a ton of stuff for each patient.
 
Last edited:
Your goal in private practice is to take care of the individual needs of each patient that you see in a way that works for the client (your main customer). You do whatever it takes to take the best care of each individual patient to the extent that the client allows. So you generally take care of a greater range of things. You need to know the current trends in pet products, available diagnostics, drugs, etc... You deal with referral situations with pets that need specialty care, and do whatever it takes to keep each pet alive with a good quality of life for as long as possible. You deal with needing to answer all the questions that people have about their pets (from what to feed them, why does my pet do that? How do I stop my pet from... etc...). You have to work within the confines of how the client wants to manage the pet at home. Your ability to care for the pet really depends greatly in the client. The cost of every little thing you do matters. The pace of your job in this setting is dependent on how busy the practice is. It can be incredibly fast paced, because you don't want to keep your appointments waiting.

Your goal as a shelter vet is population health, and individual needs of each patient is secondary. You have individual patients that need more care, the pets with the wretched mouth that needs full mouth extractions, trauma patients that need some basic ortho procedures, eyes that need to be taken out, the occasional medicine cases. How many of these more extended care cases you have the opportunity to handle depends greatly on the available resources of the shelter (your main customer) in terms of time/money available. Your focus is not as much on individualizing care to meet the needs of each animal, but rather to come up with as all encompassing and streamlined, dummyproofed protocol as possible so that laystaff can do a majority of the care instead of you. Vaccination, deworming, cleaning, testing, isolation, anesthesia protocols. All that is very important. You have a huge role in preventing and dealing with disease outbreaks. You also deal with a lot of cruelty and hoarding situations. Those are dealt with a little differently from the rest of your shelter cases because they are legal cases and the animals are evidence. You don't need to know about all the newest products out there, because a vast majority of it you have no need for. In some shelters you have decision making power, in others, all your decisions go through laystaff management. You generally don't need to ask for permission to do every little thing for every patient. And to an extent, as long as you work within your budget, you can decide on treatment for the animals without getting others involved (e.g. Puppy with a broken leg). For some shelters you have one vet who does everything, others separate the job in those that primarily do spay/neuter vs those that primarily take care of medicine. For a spay/neuter vet, your job is to be as efficient as possible and fix as many animals as you possibly can. Your goal is to make sure everyone leaves the building altered.

Physical danger really depends on how well the place is managed. I've probably had to put myself in more physical danger in private practice than in shelters. I ran into more dangerous animals in shelters, but the places I was at were better equipped than most private practices in dealing with them. We had dart guns, used rabies poles more often, syringe poles, etc... The fractious animals got euthanized, and didn't need xrays and blood draws and nail trims...

In both settings, your autonomy and ability to practice the way you want depends entirely on how each place is managed. There are horrible shelters with horrible management that I would never work for because as a vet your hands are tied all the time by ignorant laystaff who have no idea what they're talking about. There are horrible private practices with absolutely nightmarish ways of operating and treating their vets. Just like there are practices with clientele that can't afford most of what you want to offer, there are many shelters that can't afford to let you treat many of their pets so that essentially all non healthy super adoptable pets (and even some of those) get euthanized. Some very well funded shelters can do a ton of stuff for each patient.

THANK YOU!! How do shelters work with rescue groups? Is there like a business arrangement?
 
THANK YOU!! How do shelters work with rescue groups? Is there like a business arrangement?
It really depends on the shelter and the rescue. Like with all entities in life, some play nicely with others while others don't. Usually it's more like the shelters will contact rescues when they have animals that will be better served by a particular rescue, and work on an individual animal basis. Or you have some rescues that come to shelters themselves and "poach" particular animals that they want. Some have great relationships and are constantly shuffling animals back and forth. Many rescues are actually just crazy hoarders in disguise that no reputable shelter wants to work with them.
 
If you're in need of another school, LSU has shelter med but it's really just 2 complimentary classes implemented into the cirriculum, with some spay/neuter clinic days added in. There's a huge demand for shelter med in south la where there's still aftermath of displacement and overpopulation from Hurricane Katrina. I'm interested in shelter med (especially in my state). We're in need of it here!!

Edit: I'm sleepy. The electives specifically are 2 week classes: community and disaster medicine, and let population dynamics. There's additionally a 2 week clinical shelter rotation! This is all from their website.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, sorry for the necrobump but I have a small question.

Of course my post right above indicates my interest in this field. I could be wrong, but it seems as though a good majority of others interested in shelter work are going for a DVM/MPH degree. Both of the schools I applied to offer this dual degree and my IS has an entire track in shelter med. I'm considering going for MPH, which I honestly probably would have just completed on its own had I not gotten in this cycle... it just makes me wonder, because it looks like in 2014 the discussion was that any master's could possibly be a waste if shelter med flops as a specialty. I guess my question is it currently worth it to pursue the dual degree? Or would I just be better suited doing externships or residencies later?
 
Hey, sorry for the necrobump but I have a small question.

Of course my post right above indicates my interest in this field. I could be wrong, but it seems as though a good majority of others interested in shelter work are going for a DVM/MPH degree. Both of the schools I applied to offer this dual degree and my IS has an entire track in shelter med. I'm considering going for MPH, which I honestly probably would have just completed on its own had I not gotten in this cycle... it just makes me wonder, because it looks like in 2014 the discussion was that any master's could possibly be a waste if shelter med flops as a specialty. I guess my question is it currently worth it to pursue the dual degree? Or would I just be better suited doing externships or residencies later?

There's a few people interested in shelter work in my class but I don't think any of us are doing an MPH as well. There are some people doing the University of Florida certificate program. I would love to do that but can't really afford it right now. I think that if you don't want to do an MPH then don't bother. I'm pretty much using all my fourth year free time for shelter externships and I think that for right now that should be enough for me. I would like to pursue board certification after vet school but it's entirely possible to do that without doing a residency.
 
There's a few people interested in shelter work in my class but I don't think any of us are doing an MPH as well. There are some people doing the University of Florida certificate program. I would love to do that but can't really afford it right now. I think that if you don't want to do an MPH then don't bother. I'm pretty much using all my fourth year free time for shelter externships and I think that for right now that should be enough for me. I would like to pursue board certification after vet school but it's entirely possible to do that without doing a residency.

I was just looking at the UF certificate last night! It is pretty high sadly 🙁 I was just worried because I applied without really considering a dual degree. Thanks so much!