Shenandoah University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiggy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start this thread to give other people hope as I am not the greatest candidate out there. I just got my official acceptance to Shenandoah University's PharmD program! Turns out I was their second interview of the cycle, so I'm not sure if anyone else here has gotten their acceptance yet. Here's the breakdown:

Submitted PharmCAS application - 8/15/10
GPA Calculated - 8/25/10
Application mailed - 8/30/10
Invitation to interview - 9/2/10
Interview - 9/9/10
Accepted - 9/17/10 :thumbup:

Background: just turned 40, switching careers, have a BS in Civil Engineering and an MBA from Virginia Tech. Spent 5 years as a Project Manager for a heavy commercial construction company, then have spent the last 11 years as a pilot, resigning from the airlines this March.

GPA's: Undergrad: 2.92 (2.8 before re-taking the science classes >10 years old), Master's: 3.51, Post Bacc: 4.0, Cumulative: 3.06
June PCAT: 92 composite
No pharmacy experience except for shadowing (25 hours), not licensed as a pharm tech. I think I had an extremely strong personal statement, and the interview went extremely well (comments posted in the interview feedback section).

If your grades aren't the best, don't lose hope! I was very fortunate on the PCAT which I'm sure helped quite a bit, but I think the progression of improvement with my GPA showed the increasing maturity too. Good luck to everybody!!!

:):D:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they don't have early admissions - just rolling admissions.

pls what was your pharmcas gpa calculation if you don't mind

All listed above Bongos....those are from the PharmCAS report. But I'll list some others for ya:

Science: 3.02, Non-Science: 3.25, Math: 2.58:thumbdown:; Total: 3.06

Last edited:
Hey! Twiggy1
Did you get a confirmation email(or mail) after submitting your application?

If you're talking about PharmCAS, I don't remember if they sent me an e-mail confirming I had submitted it to them. As far as them mailing it out to Shenandoah, they did NOT send an e-mail telling me this had happened..I just had to log back in from time to time and check the status page when it suddenly showed up there with a date under the "mailed" column.

If you're talking about Shenandoah, the first e-mail I received from them after PharmCAS mailed it was an invitation to interview. PharmCAS mailed it on a Monday, I got the interview invitation that Thursday. My application was totally complete, however, so there was no need for a "we have received your application and will be reviewing it - we will let you know if you are invited for an interview" type e-mail from SU. Or a "we have received your app but it is incomplete at this time" kind of thing. My guess is they get too many apps to be able to do that for everybody.

Did I answer your question in there somewhere?? :)

Twiggy~

Congrats on your acceptance! I wanted to get some advice, I am applying to Shenandoah but my GPA is a gnarly 2.78 :eek: I have made very poor decisions in my early college days, and am now paying for it!! Anyway, I have been taking upper division classes and doing well but my GPA doesn't meet the minimum requirements, yet (but they will after Fall term grades come out in December). Would my app even be looked at if I submitted now?

Thank you!

Is your 2.78 the PharmCAS calculation, or from your university? I tell ya, you are SO close, I would go ahead and submit. If you have other areas that stand out (my cumulative gpa was a 3.06 but somehow got a 92 on the PCAT) they may very well take you. It can't hurt to try, plus maybe they'll round that up to a 2.8. My undergraduate GPA was a 2.78, but I got a 3.5 in the MBA program and 4.0 since returning to school to finish prereqs, so that's what's pulled my GPA up. I did the same thing as you...after my first year in undergrad my GPA was a 1.92, and it was impossible to bring back up to the levels I see on this board (3.8's, etc.). It does look good to show progress since screwing up (each successive year for me was better), so if you've got that going for you, they may take it into consideration.

Also, the PharmCAS listed point of contact for SU (Amanda Keach) just recently retired. But the new person (Cindy Witty) is also super nice - give her a call and ask her. I'm sure she will give you a very honest answer one way or the other. Good luck!

The 2.78 calculation is from my University, PharmCAS hasn't calculated my GPA yet. I got a 3.7 last year taking prereq's and I am taking all upper division courses this year, Biochem and such. I am taking the PCAT Oct. 16th (next weekend :scared:) If I do well, I really hope they will still consider me since my GPA is not so stellar!!! Anyway, I will get in touch with Cindy and thank you for all your help!

you bet! Best of luck to you...I hope it all works out and get to meet you in class next year!

Thank you and I hope to meet you in class next year as well! I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
you bet! Best of luck to you...I hope it all works out and get to meet you in class next year!

Hey Twiggy, I just got my interview invite from Shenadoah. This my first one ever, so I'm super duper nervous. Can you please give me some general ideas of how to perform well? I'm very impressed with your interview skills. Thank you so much!

Twiggy,

I am also thinking about Shenandoah. Since you have been accepted already, I was wondering if you would have some insight for me. I am currently waiting for my GPA to be calculated, but other than that, I have everything else done and complete - even the supp app to Shenandoah. In terms of test scores and GPA, how highly are they considered at Shenandoah. I have a 3.8 but my test scores aren't the best. Also, do they look highly at experience? I haven't been successful in obtaining a "pharmacy tech" job, but I have been volunteering my **** off in pharmacies. Will that count? Thanks.

Did people on here granted or already had an interview go to the Winchester or Ashburn campus?

Received an invitation to Ashburn campus but after doing research about the experience have minimal interest. Any positive thoughts on Ashburn would be appreciated?

Thank you!

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been on here in a while, but o-chem is giving me a run for my money. Pharm0409, if you look at my stats above, my GPA isn't stellar by any means compared to a LOT of people on here, but I did get a good score on the PCAT. If you have a great GPA and did ok on the PCAT, it may balance out the same. I also had NO pharmacy experience except for about 25-30 hours of shadowing, but I was able to draw upon that during the interview. If you've been volunteering, I think that should be great!

Carolina, I interviewed at and was accepted into the Winchester campus, but if you end up going to the Ashburn location it's really no big deal. All of us take the same classes at the same time via videolink. Some have the instructor at Ashburn, some have the instructor at Winchester, but we're all getting the same material from the same person at the same time. In addition, as is my understanding, after the P1 year, EVERYBODY goes to the Winchester location, so we're all together in the same room. You may want to give Cindy W. a call about that to confirm, but she should be able to give you difinitive info.

Drop me a line if you have any other questions!

I just received my interview invitation, and I'm pretty stoked- it's my second so far. I fall along the lines of Twiggy- my GPA's not stellar (as in, you don't even want to know what it is) but I blew the PCAT out of the water. I do have a decent amount of pharmacy experience though.

Does Shenandoah have rolling admissions? I've got a crazy next few weeks, but I'm trying to figure out if it would be advantageous to schedule it as soon as possible.

Yep, it's rolling admissions. Everybody kept thinking I was accepted early admission with an interview and acceptance in September, but it's just rolling. The advice I was given by the Dean I had been speaking with and Amanda before she retired was to get your stuff in sooner rather than later. My guess is that the same would go for the interview. Good luck!!:thumbup:

Awesome, thanks. I scheduled for November 9th, so fairly soon. If everything goes well, there's a pretty good chance we could be in the same class. I really like the curriculum and the area from what I see.

just got accepted; sumitted nov 2,interviewed on nov 16, accepted nov 18:love::thumbup:

just got accepted; sumitted nov 2,interviewed on nov 16, accepted nov 18:love::thumbup:

How did the interview go? Was it very formal? What kinds of questions did they ask? I have yet to decide on an interview date, but any advice would help. And congrats on getting accepted! :)

How did the interview go? Was it very formal? What kinds of questions did they ask? I have yet to decide on an interview date, but any advice would help. And congrats on getting accepted! :)
yes in did, it was very formal; Just make sure you can answer to everything you wrote on your essay. good luck

yes in did, it was very formal; Just make sure you can answer to everything you wrote on your essay. good luck

Thanks. The interview went well. I am now ACCEPTED! :) I was wondering if anyone knows about scholarships -- does the Shenandoah give out many scholarships to PharmD students? Thanks.

When is the next interview date???????

Anyone gets an interview call??????

When is the next interview date???????

Anyone gets an interview call??????
there was no set interview date. she had e-mailed me and asked me to choose any day and said they were interviewing Monday through Friday at one-half hour intervals, beginning at 9:00 a.m. and ending at 2:30 p.m. good luck!!

Twiggy1, I need some adviser from u ! I'm doing the pre-requierment courses right now. I also planing to take a PCAT this summer coming up. I think in summer 2011, they just have a computer base test on September. They don't have a traditional test on June and Aug anymore right? Does anyone know about this? ...So after taking Pcat on September 2011, can I apply to SU immediately ? Do u know how long does it take for the PCAT score? . I had a D in Bio, then I re-take it last semester and had a B. My GPA now is ; 3.7... Do u think a D will be a big problem in a process before SU approve for the interview? What book did u used to study for PCAT? FYI, so u will attend SU in Fall 2012?
Thank you so much

Hi Vicky-

I'm actually starting at SU this Fall (orientation is August 15th). As far as I know, I believe that the PCAT has now shifted to the computer based format. Also, if things stay the same, it will be offered in January, June, August, and October - not sure at which sitting you are planning to take it. I used the Dr. Collins packet, REA flashcards, Kaplan book, and every other online resource I could find that would help me study for the PCAT. I had to teach my self A&P and organic chem before I took the test in June last year since I hadn't had those classes yet (finishing ochem 2 this semester). I was guessing well on PCAT day and ended up with a 92!:thumbup:
Pearson gives themselves 6 weeks to grade the tests, and even though they are computerized now, I don't believe that is going to change. This is one of the main reasons many schools don't accept the January PCAT as the scores don't get posted before their February application cutoff.

In any event, Shenandoah has rolling admissions, so the sooner you get the PCAT done, get your PharmCAS application completed, and get it all submitted the better. I finished my application in August, Shenandoah received it the first week of September and I had my interview a week later and was accepted. It's been very nice having that pressure off early (being accepted) as now I can "relax" a little with the last few prerequisites (still getting good grades though). The folks told me that with the rolling admissions, earlier is better, and I was told that mine was the second interview of the 2011 cycle. I'm not sure if they are having trouble filling the classes, but I did notice that they have reduced their PCAT minimum from 70 down to 60 (this allowed a classmate of mine to get an interview last week). As far as your "D" is concerned....well, I had one too. Granted it was in an engineering class from my undergraduate degree, but it was a D nonetheless. In addtion, your GPA is WAY better than mine (I had a 3.06), so I think you're fine.
Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck with the PCAT and the 2012 application process. I think PharmCAS opens the next cycle up in June? Take care!

Twiggy1, Thank you so much.....!!! Will u in Ashburn campus or Winchester?
Take care and good luck with your classes :)

Winchester...I live about 10 minutes from the main SU campus and 20 from the Health Professions Building, so I'm a local boy!

oh, i see. I went to the open house in Asburn on Saturday. The class size is amazing... does SU require TOEFL? Also, the 3 letters of recommendation, do u have to submit it when u apply on PharmCas, or the person write a letter will send it to Pharmcas ? How about an esay? do we have to write it when we apply for Pharmcas too..? or we can submit it later?
Thanks so much. You help me a lot

My suggestion would be for you to set up an account on PharmCAS and play around with it. That's what I did last year, just so I would know what to expect when the 2011 cycle opened up. I believe that SU requires the TOEFL, and the letters of recommendation are sent to PharmCAS to be included with your application - they can either be electronically submitted (preferred), or hardcopy and sent in. The kicker there is that you have to have your letter writer attach a form from PharmCAS that will match the letter to your account (again, things you will find out when you start playing around in PharmCAS). Also, PharmCAS has all of the school's requirements listed under "school pages", which would also be a great place to start in order to see the specific requirements. You have to write an essay when submitting your PharmCAS application detailing why you want to pursue pharmacy (EVERYONE has to write this one), but SU doesn't have any supplemental application. Best thing would be to log on to PharmCAS (www.pharmcas.org) and start looking around. Don't start putting in any information yet as they purge all of the 2011 applications in Spring before opening up the 2012 cycle. Good luck! Oh, are you local to Northern Virginia too since you went to the open house in Ashburn?

Thanks Twiggy1. Yes, I'm in Northern Virginia, I lives 10 minutes away form Ashburn :) The good new is SU has 4 years program in Ashburn now,... so I dont have to drive far away to Winchester. SU is the only school i wish to get in. I hope , I get accept :) Do u have facebook account :)
Thanks again

Is there a facebook group for accepted students?

Yes, it's under "SU School of Pharmacy - Class of 2015".

hm, recieved an e-mail saying i was waitlisted for the Winchester campus. and that my application will go under review again. does this happen a lot?

concerned because i was assuming i would definitely be accepted.

Not sure if it happens a lot, but was told (off the record) that everyone who has been waitlisted in the past has gotten in. Don't lose hope!

I was accepted after interviewing mid January. I did not apply originally because I did not think I could get in, but the more I read about the school I was more enthusiastic. The Dean's welcome/info address during my interview really solidified how I felt about Shenandoah. I am a little nervous about the small class size at the Ashburn campus, which is where I chose to attend. Any thoughts from anyone?

I don't think it will be too bad...I mean we will all have the same classes at the same time (except lab) since they are done via video conference. Some of the professors are at Winchester, some are at Ashburn. You will have a smaller group that you directly interact with, but the material will be presented to all of us at the same time. I don't think it will be bad at all...in fact, my thought is that the Ashburn folks will be a tighter group due to the smaller size. See you August 15th!!

hey guys, i also got accepted to Schenandoah university PHARMD for the fall. does anybody know if there is any student network for their students who attend at ashburn being the fact that the ashburn campus has a smaller student body?

Not that I'm aware of, but if you find out let me know!

I was accepted after interviewing mid January. I did not apply originally because I did not think I could get in, but the more I read about the school I was more enthusiastic. The Dean's welcome/info address during my interview really solidified how I felt about Shenandoah. I am a little nervous about the small class size at the Ashburn campus, which is where I chose to attend. Any thoughts from anyone?

does anyone know if they are still sending out invites for interviews? i applied in december but they were waiting to receive my january pcat results before they made a final decision, so i'm still waiting....

I do not know, but if you shoot them a quick email I'm sure they will answer any of your questions. They are the nicest people to deal with, and respond so quickly. With that being said, the deadline was Feb 1, so it is probably worth your time and sanity to contact them :oops:)

I do not know, but if you shoot them a quick email I'm sure they will answer any of your questions. They are the nicest people to deal with, and respond so quickly. With that being said, the deadline was Feb 1, so it is probably worth your time and sanity to contact them :oops:)

I got an interview invitation today, whoo hoo!!! I am so excited! To all who have interviewed at Shenandoah, what was the interview process like? The email stated that they hold half hour interview sessions from 9-3 but I was wondering like do you have to be there at 9 and stay until 3, or do you pick a time (anytime between 9 and 3) and then after your interview, you can leave? I am just confused because another school I interviewed at I had to arrive at 1 and stay til 5 because they had a bunch of events planned throughout the day...

pick a day and a time, then the interview is just for that half hour - you don't stay for the whole day. After the interview, you will get a brief tour from your student interviewer, then you will have the opportunity to sit in on a class. Once Cindy drops you off at the class, you can stay for as long or short as you'd like. Everyone will know what you're there for (since you're dressed up) and really don't give you a second look, so it's no big deal. I posted my interview stuff in the interview feedback section. Good luck, and I hope to see you on August 15th!! (mandatory orientation!!)

pick a day and a time, then the interview is just for that half hour - you don't stay for the whole day. After the interview, you will get a brief tour from your student interviewer, then you will have the opportunity to sit in on a class. Once Cindy drops you off at the class, you can stay for as long or short as you'd like. Everyone will know what you're there for (since you're dressed up) and really don't give you a second look, so it's no big deal. I posted my interview stuff in the interview feedback section. Good luck, and I hope to see you on August 15th!! (mandatory orientation!!)

Thanks for the info! Hopefully it goes well and I get in!

So far Shenandoah has been the best interviewing experience! They are very friendly and prompt in responding. I interviewed on Mar 1 and received my acceptance today, only 2 days later!

So far Shenandoah has been the best interviewing experience! They are very friendly and prompt in responding. I interviewed on Mar 1 and received my acceptance today, only 2 days later!

That is great! I am excited to interview at Shenandoah as it is one of my top choices.. Does anyone know the cost of tuition (approximately)?

I believe tuition is $27,500/year after you factor in the mandatory computer leasing fee of $500/semester.

For those of you who were accepted, did you receive a request for a criminal background check before you accepted their admission offer? I got an email saying I was accepted to Shenandoah three days after my interview, and then 3 weeks later I got a "conditional acceptance" email requesting a background check. I'm wondering whether the request was from the other school I applied to....