DRRX09

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
ok- I have never posted, but reading all the interview feedbacks about SU and Winchester have prompted me to post. When you come to Winchester to interview, you are only seeing a very small and yes rural side. They recommend hotels that are close to the school, but that does not give you a great look at Winchester. We are the second fastest growing area in VA-second only to Loudoun County, which is the fastest growing area in the nation. Apartments are not easy to find, nor are they super cheap as someone suggested. My parents apartments have a waiting list! Many students end up having to buy property here to live in during the four years, or living with people looking for roommates. We are building new high schools every 3 years just to keep up with the growth. The area around the Pharmacy school is rural-because it is so difficult to find land to build on here. What you are seeing is not all of Winchester-we are no Miami, but we are not a bunch of country bumpkins either! :) The area is changing so rapidly that it is hard to keep up. I moved back here from Phoenix 8 years ago, and the growth has yet to slow down.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
DRRX09 said:
ok- I have never posted, but reading all the interview feedbacks about SU and Winchester have prompted me to post. When you come to Winchester to interview, you are only seeing a very small and yes rural side. They recommend hotels that are close to the school, but that does not give you a great look at Winchester. We are the second fastest growing area in VA-second only to Loudoun County, which is the fastest growing area in the nation. Apartments are not easy to find, nor are they super cheap as someone suggested. My parents apartments have a waiting list! Many students end up having to buy property here to live in during the four years, or living with people looking for roommates. We are building new high schools every 3 years just to keep up with the growth. The area around the Pharmacy school is rural-because it is so difficult to find land to build on here. What you are seeing is not all of Winchester-we are no Miami, but we are not a bunch of country bumpkins either! :) The area is changing so rapidly that it is hard to keep up. I moved back here from Phoenix 8 years ago, and the growth has yet to slow down.
Hello. :) I'll be attending Shenandoah in the fall. Have you or are you also applying there? I have no problem with Winchester being smaller than any place I've ever lived; in fact, I'm looking forward to it. My significant other and I are planning to rent a house somewhere in Winchester or Frederick County (or a little further out IF we have to).

Stephie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
California
Status
I am taking pre-pharmacy classes right now, but would love to attend Shenandoah Pharmacy School in a couple of years. My mother spent her childhood in a neighboring town (Front Royal) and I love to go and visit relatives there. It is a beautiful place with plenty of shopping centers nearby and plus D.C. is about 1 1/2 hours away or so. My mother went to Shenandoah Conservatory in the '60's and loved it there. Anything anyone else can tell me about the school would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would like to apply in Fall 2005 for the next year, but will still have 5 classes left to take at that point. All of them will be finished before the next school year, but does anyone know Shenandoah's policy on that?

Thanks for your help!!

OP
D

DRRX09

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
FutureRxGal said:
Hello. :) I'll be attending Shenandoah in the fall. Have you or are you also applying there? I have no problem with Winchester being smaller than any place I've ever lived; in fact, I'm looking forward to it. My significant other and I are planning to rent a house somewhere in Winchester or Frederick County (or a little further out IF we have to).
I am currently at SU for undergrad-and will be there for the 09 class. If you need help finding a place let me know.....

OP
D

DRRX09

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
Stephie-
You will be fine-you just cannot have more than 2 classes left to take the summer before your admission at SU. And thanks- it is a great place to live!

supermn54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Winchester, VA
Status
wow, thought i was the only one from winchester on this message board. I just graduated from SU undergrad and will be applying for the fall 06. I know a lot of people in the pharmacy school and are familiar with the admin. Throw a pm at me, i'm curious to see if i actually know any of you guys. If i don't, my younger bro might, he's a soph.

supermn54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Winchester, VA
Status
DRRX09 said:
You've stated a lot of facts about the area but i can't help but disagree about the trouble of finding a place to live. In the past 4 years, i've managed to live in 2 different apartment complexes, a house, and now i'm currently in a town house. Rent out here is a lot cheaper compared to places surrounding most other pharmacy schools. You can easily find a nice 2 bedroom, 1 bath, fireplace, vaulted ceiling, porch, etc.., for $600-650 a month. Most places would charge almost a grand a month for a place like that. I guess it's just a matter of knowing where to look.

tetra327

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Maryland
Status
FutureRxGal said:
FutureRXGal,

If your looking at Frederick County I am planning on moving to GA to go to Mercer and I'm looking to rent out my house-in Frederick...what a concidence.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
tetra327 said:
FutureRXGal,

If your looking at Frederick County I am planning on moving to GA to go to Mercer and I'm looking to rent out my house-in Frederick...what a concidence.
I'm talking about VA. Aren't you in MD?

JOliv010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Status
I will be applying for admission this summer to Shenadoah University. The school is my first choice.

safaetx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Status
supermn54 said:
You've stated a lot of facts about the area but i can't help but disagree about the trouble of finding a place to live. In the past 4 years, i've managed to live in 2 different apartment complexes, a house, and now i'm currently in a town house. Rent out here is a lot cheaper compared to places surrounding most other pharmacy schools. You can easily find a nice 2 bedroom, 1 bath, fireplace, vaulted ceiling, porch, etc.., for $600-650 a month. Most places would charge almost a grand a month for a place like that. I guess it's just a matter of knowing where to look.
I am so glad to know that apartments aren't that hard to find in Winchester. I need some advice. I will be going to school in fall 2005. I was going to start looking for an apartment in May. I will only have two weeks in may to go appartment hunting before I go over seas for the entire summer. Is that enough time to find a decent appartment??? If not, do you have any tips for me?

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
safaetx said:
I am so glad to know that apartments aren't that hard to find in Winchester. I need some advice. I will be going to school in fall 2005. I was going to start looking for an apartment in May. I will only have two weeks in may to go appartment hunting before I go over seas for the entire summer. Is that enough time to find a decent appartment??? If not, do you have any tips for me?
Safae,

This is from Shenandoah's website for off-campus housing: http://www.su.edu/parents/pp6.asp

Hope this helps!

gordo0878

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
I am also starting there in the fall, have you found any reasonable rates for rent.

supermn54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Winchester, VA
Status
FutureRxGal said:
Safae,

This is from Shenandoah's website for off-campus housing: http://www.su.edu/parents/pp6.asp

Hope this helps!
That site is actually pretty helpful. However, personally i believe the only ones worth considering are pemberton and stuart hills. The other ones are either low in quality (hence the cheaper prices) or located in the ghetto. Pemberton and stuart hills are located side by side. They were initially constructed for the health professions students at SU. They got wireless internet, a nice neighborhood, located only no more than 10min. from the school, and most importantly are primarily occupied by other pharmacy students. I've personally lived in pemberton for a year and i always hang out at stuart hills. Assuming i get into SU, i'll probably move back over there. My advice for getting an apartment there is to keep calling between april-july even if there aren't any openings cause many P3 and P4 students usually end up leaving around then. Hope this helps!

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
USA
Status
supermn54 said:
You can easily find a nice 2 bedroom, 1 bath, fireplace, vaulted ceiling, porch, etc.., for $600-650 a month. Most places would charge almost a grand a month for a place like that. I guess it's just a matter of knowing where to look.
sweet! I am currently paying $430/month for a very small place here in Berkeley--1 SMALL bedroom, 1 bathroom but right next to the UCB campus.