Shift from clinical dentistry to academia....how to pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquiry101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding the current career of my mother who is a general dentist. Currently she is in her forties and does not wish to practice clinical dentistry anymore. By raising a family, she had to make some sacrifices and put her career on hold at certain points in her life. As a result, she has never been able to fully reach her full potential in dentistry. At this point, she has lost many of her skills that she developed coming out of dental school and she feels behind. At this point, going back to school is not something that she is in favor of. She has made up her mind that clinical dentistry is not the path that she wishes to continue on with.

Her main goal now is to get involved with teaching/academia, however, she is unsure on how to pursue this. She has lost many of her dental school contacts over the years and as a result does not have a well supported network to help guide her. I would appreciate it if anyone can please reach out and offer any advice for her current situation. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You know what they say, "Those who can't do, teach." My advice would be to call up the local D school and see if they are hiring. Shouldn't take any special connections.

You know what they say, "Those who can't do, teach." My advice would be to call up the local D school and see if they are hiring. Shouldn't take any special connections.

"and those who can't teach, teach gym."

From what I can gather, there is a shortage of dentists that want to be in academics. So if she wants to make a career in academics, it should be simple. I don't think she needs her old contacts to get into academics. She can make new contacts by getting in touch with the dental school and getting involved there. I think dental schools are always looking for great instructors.

Members don't see this ad :)

I loved asking professors (who I knew hadn't prepped a tooth in many years) who criticized my class II preps when the last time it was that they had done one on an alive patient.

I loved asking professors (who I knew hadn't prepped a tooth in many years) who criticized my class II preps when the last time it was that they had done one on an alive patient.

bahahahahah! i am so taking your advice on this one and gonna use it in style.. that is simply..hilarious :laugh:

Those who cannot "do", "do" poorly.

I'm surprised that people who have spent so long in education and have not yet identified that teaching is "doing" as much as the primary mode of the said profession.

I have had bad teachers that should go do gym like someone else pointed out :smuggrin: - but I have also had teachers that contribute a great amount toward learning. On the other hand there are those who do a particular trade well, or are expert in their field, but are terrible teachers.

Such immaturity in dental school?