Shift in Plans.. What's the Downside?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budhak0n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know .. I know that for most people doing post bacc work it's much better to simply knock everything out in a couple (2 to 4) semesters of 12-18 credits per.. basically full time status....

However , due to my work and my wife's work schedule and the kids, I'm basically forced to slow my plans down by a year or so, because I just can't possibly attend the courses every day they are offered... NOw in my previous undergrad experience I'd just no show on the friday courses and do ok on the tests and since I went to a HUGE school... On a basic Physics course you could get away with that and no one would be the wiser, but since I'm taking my Post Bacc credits at a smaller college in my are, where the teachers know all their students and I will be missed if I no show fridays..

I'm not really sure what to do... Should I take the course anyway and just tell the instructor I have to skip the friday offering?

Should I just be happy knocking this out basically on a course by course basis? And not add the added stress to the equation?

Will schools look at my post baccalaureate work and downgrade the grades I receive if I do it incrementally? Basically 6-8 credits per term period?

You know what I mean? Will they say, well yeah he was able to get a A /A- in Organic Chemistry but it was easier for him because he didn't have 5 other classes going as well?

Not that It will change what I'm doing because I'm sort of landlocked into this by circumstances beyond my control... but I'm just wondering because I know I read somewhere that the preferred way to do it was in Full time semesters.

Thanks in advance and have a great semester all.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the thing. They are much more likely to excuse the fact that your classes were taken by smaller class loads (AND YOU GET As) than they are to excuse low grades because you were working and your class load was too large.

Either way, talk about balancing work/class/volunteering/family in your PS. Present it in a way that anyone reading it thinks "oh yeah, it is perfectly logical that he spread his classes out or XXXXXXXXX"

Unless you are really getting up there in age, a year shouldn't make that much of a difference. GOOD LUCK!

For a traditional student, I think a full time load shows the ability to handle the workload. For a non-trad with work, wife, and kids it is a different story. I don't think anyone would question striking a balance in that situation.

That being said, it may be worth discussion options with the professors. If they have lectures available online and don't count attendance directly in your grade, you may be fine as long as Friday isn't a lab day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's an article that describes how the author managed to get his UG degree in three semesters, with a double major, and working full-time his final semester.

Just for inspiration...

I think it would be fine to follow the path you mentioned. Once you start med school you will have no option but to give it a 100% committment. I think inevitably, family will suffer a little at that point. Enjoy your family and focus on balance. There is no comparison between a single 19 y/o taking a full load and a working adult with a family making the same committment. It is apples and oranges as they say. You should be commended for doing as much as you are at this point. Committee members have families too. Good Luck.

Personally, if you already have a good gpa from undergrad, I don't think a light course load matters at all. I quit my job to finish up my pre-reqs in a post-bac program in one summer + one year. I took a lot over the summer (about 16 credits), but only 8 credits for the other two semesters. The only other thing I did during that time was volunteer. So far, I've gotten quite a few interviews, so I don't think it has hurt my chances at all. Granted, you've got a family and other obligations, so I can't imagine it hurting you either - you're even more justified in taking a lighter load (I just didn't want to pay full tuition - which would kick in had I hit 12 credits).

As for your situation, I would find out who was teaching the courses you were interested in, and go to the professors personally before signing up, and explaining your situation. Say that you'd love to take their class, but that you would be unable to make the Friday classes due to family obligations. Ask them if that think that would still work. Some profs may say that that's fine. Others may say that attendance is vital, and it would be an issue. For some of my classes, I noticed that it didn't matter if you came for lectures, while for other classes it was key. And then there are discussion sections - they were much more important to attend for some classes, but not a big deal if you missed it in others.

Anyway, good luck! Sounds like whatever you decide to do will be fine provided you're able to do well in the classes.

I am in a formal post-bacc right now geared for ppl who work. All classes are at night 6-9 tu-thu. I take 8 cr/hrs a semester. Although we do go right through the summer. It is a 2 year post-bacc altogether.

I went back to the Original Plan... When in Doubt stick to your first instincts,

Therefore I'm still on course for a June 2008 Application Cycle go at this... I added my Physics so in the Spring I "should" Only have to do Chem III and IV with Phys II and as far as the "LETTER OF THE LAW" prereq's I'm done....But I'll probably do A&P ( although plenty of people have told me not to do it.. which I might listen) and Biochem or something along those lines in the summer 08..

Some people on here have said that you can actually apply without having fully completed the prerequisites so long as you tell them you are completing XYZ in Summer 08 , Fall 08 etc etc...

The Reason why I'm saying that is I'm going to have the " Wait" year and since a June 08 App is for the Fall 09 entering class... well then why overload myself when I can always tell the Adcomm that I'll be taking say Physics II with Lab summer 08 or something along those lines....

Just seems like the easiest way to do it... but I did find some coverage and I'll only be there an hour later on Fridays ... I'd rather do it that way then push my original application plans back an entire year.

Have a great semester- OChem Lab starts tomorrow 4 me.