shiftwork for radiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that radiology is one of the jobs with comfortable work hours. So do radiologists have shiftwork like other specialities like EM or anesthesia? How do they handle shiftwork (managing the circadian rythm thing) as compared to EM and other specialities?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that radiology is one of the jobs with comfortable work hours. So do radiologists have shiftwork like other specialities like EM or anesthesia? How do they handle shiftwork (managing the circadian rythm thing) as compared to EM and other specialities?

Careful.... regular work hours DOES NOT equal 'comfortable' work hours.

With that said many residencies have a night float system and private practices have in house Nighthawks that cover the late shift. I would imagine their sleep issues are not unlike the other specialties you mention. Like any other field if you need help falling asleep when the sun is up, black out your windows have a warm glass of milk. If that doesn't work try melatonin, if that doesn't work pop an ambien.

I've heard that radiology is one of the jobs with comfortable work hours.

Average for private practice is 57hrs/week

(yada yada, median, average, statistics, mammographer working 12hrs/week, full-time IR working 90hrs/wk)

So do radiologists have shiftwork like other specialities like EM or anesthesia?

The only people with real shiftwork are the telerad guys. They work 7 nights on 14nights off and other shift schedules.

How do they handle shiftwork (managing the circadian rythm thing) as compared to EM and other specialities?

It is difficult to maintain the same high level of concentration throughout a normal workday even more-so a 12hr shift. Your patient is going to suffer the same if you miss (or overcall) an aortic dissection in hour 11 of your shift or hour 1.
I personally don't work shifts, but if I know a day will be long, I force myself to take a 30min break every 4 hrs (and do something that doesn't strain my eyes like eating or drinking a cup of coffee).