Shocked...took a practice MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I have a LOT of reviewing left to do, or so I thought, since I haven't had physics or general chem since high school (AP) and I hardly remember orgo. So far, I've gone through most of Kaplan's gen chem review book, and done almost half of Examkracker's physics 1001 problems (teaching myself as I go).
Just telling you this so you have an idea of where I'm at.

Well, today I took the full practice exam in Kaplan's red workbook... all except the writing sample. I was lazy and didn't feel like going back to answer questions I didn't know....so I only spent half of the given time on verbal and bio sciences (I used most of the full time in physical sciences).

But I was shocked at the results I got! Either this Kaplan exam is WAY easier than the real thing, or maybe I don't need to take the Kaplan class I'm signed up for. Even with only using half the time on two sections, I got 13 V, 11 BS, and 12 PS. I would be happy with that on the real thing!

Is this exam supposed to be much easier than the real thing? Or if not, do you all think I should still take the Kaplan class, or just study on my own (and save a lot of money)? It's so weird... I don't consider myself very above-average at these subjects, and I have a huge amount of studying left to do, so I don't know what's up?!

Members don't see this ad.

wow congrats! I would save my dought and def not take the class. I once sat down wtih my notes in front of me and unlmited amoutn of time and pulleda 12 on the Ps sectoin barely! You sound like a super genius, i would just reivew the books u have and ur set! Half of ur score is my goal on my mcat! wooooo hooo give it up for us dumbfolk!!

Originally posted by karen44
OK, I have a LOT of reviewing left to do, or so I thought, since I haven't had physics or general chem since high school (AP) and I hardly remember orgo. So far, I've gone through most of Kaplan's gen chem review book, and done almost half of Examkracker's physics 1001 problems (teaching myself as I go).
Just telling you this so you have an idea of where I'm at.

Well, today I took the full practice exam in Kaplan's red workbook... all except the writing sample. I was lazy and didn't feel like going back to answer questions I didn't know....so I only spent half of the given time on verbal and bio sciences (I used most of the full time in physical sciences).

But I was shocked at the results I got! Either this Kaplan exam is WAY easier than the real thing, or maybe I don't need to take the Kaplan class I'm signed up for. Even with only using half the time on two sections, I got 13 V, 11 BS, and 12 PS. I would be happy with that on the real thing!

Is this exam supposed to be much easier than the real thing? Or if not, do you all think I should still take the Kaplan class, or just study on my own (and save a lot of money)? It's so weird... I don't consider myself very above-average at these subjects, and I have a huge amount of studying left to do, so I don't know what's up?!

I remember that test, and I actually got your score on that very test (different distribution though). The thing is, that test had a REALLY easy BS section and a pretty easy VR section as well. I ended up taking Kaplan, and I scored lower on some of them and higher on others. Either way, I would take a look at some more tests. That test was pretty easy with the exception of PS when compared to the real thing, at least in my opinion.

Just my .02. Good luck.

Gleevec, that's what I had suspected...oh well, so much for the no-more-studying technique! (wouldn't have done that anyway!). I will definitely look at some more tests and review material, and I'll probably still end up taking Kaplan...couldn't hurt. Also, I probably should do at least as well in BS as in the other sections, since I'm a biology major...

Thanks for your input. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
oops-- I meant I should probably TRY to do at least as well in BS as in the rest...

Just don't get overconfident! I got 12, 13, 13 on my last practice test (AAMC V, as part of a TPR course), and thought "GREAT! I'll be thrilled if I get that on the real thing!!" And then I got 10, 11, 11 on the real thing.... :( :(

As someone who took the test not once but twice, I have to tell you be weary of those kaplan practice tests. I for one was a princeton review student and although I chose to take it twice, I know that my scores on my last practice exams were actually pretty good indicators for the real deal. However, I had a bunch of friends who took Kaplan and had their MCAT scores go down when they took the real thing. From our experiences it seemed that Kaplan's verbal is WAY easier than the actual exams and their BS is a lot easier too. They DO have a fairly good physical science review and practice though, but the PR course I took had very prepared teachers and veru VERY hard practice exams.

You should take the Average of all the scores through many exams before you truely judge the validity of your score. Also, many believe that AAMC exams are the most accurate indications of how you will do on the exam. I think test anxiety has a major role in the contrast between the real MCAT and AAMC practice exams. Also, should money be an issue... that is, if you truely want to become a doctor, honestly, what's the difference between being 200,000 dollars in debt after medical school and 201,349 dollars in debt?

Stephen.

Hey is that true about the Kaplan test review scores? I took PR last summer and thought their tests and review passages were REALLY hard. I worked like a dog ... Now taking Kaplan I think, ok kind of hard but maybe it's because I never really stopped studying from August and it's just all becoming one big MCAT blur.

My PR scores went from 6V 4P 6B (16!) to a final of 8V 8P 9B T (25). I admit I spent almost all summer on the PS section which sucked my brain down the drain. Now with my first Kaplan Diag I jumped up to a 27 (10 10 7 .. ok, I was hungry for lunch during the bio) and overall did really high percents on the section diagnostics. Their initial Diag tests aren't like the real thing tho unlike TPR which makes you walk thru the whole day subject by subject, so again I don't know if they're really accurate.

I never heard that about Kaplan's tests being 'easier' than the real thing, altho I wondered if it was all my studying that made their Verbal seem easier. I dunno ... I just want to do well and get this monster behind me

:p

Originally posted by canadagirl
Just don't get overconfident! I got 12, 13, 13 on my last practice test (AAMC V, as part of a TPR course), and thought "GREAT! I'll be thrilled if I get that on the real thing!!" And then I got 10, 11, 11 on the real thing.... :( :(

Since when does a nicely distributed 32 get two unhappy faces? Thats a very good score!

Originally posted by canadagirl

Oh please! :rolleyes:
See..these kind of posts make me really annoyed and angry coz they sound not only attention seeking but also shows the low confidence of the poster. Above a 30, ANY score is great and makes you competitive esp. a nicely distributed one! ! Geez, this kind of post makes the other posters who are trying hard and studying to score above even a 25 feel like they are dumb! This post reminds me of people in college who say, " Oh..i got a 98 :( " and then they complain to others how it is unfair, the whole test! An 'A' is an 'A' !!!

Reread your post, canadagirl, and see how it sounds!!

Originally posted by DrLady
Oh please! :rolleyes:
See..these kind of posts make me really annoyed and angry coz they sound not only attention seeking but also shows the low confidence of the poster. Above a 30, ANY score is great and makes you competitive esp. a nicely distributed one! ! Geez, this kind of post makes the other posters who are trying hard and studying to score above even a 25 feel like they are dumb! This post reminds me of people in college who say, " Oh..i got a 98 :( " and then they complain to others how it is unfair, the whole test! An 'A' is an 'A' !!!

Reread your post, canadagirl, and see how it sounds!!

I may be wrong since I don't know Canadagirl, but I don't think she was trying to brag.

She fully expected to get a 12/13/13 on the test and was disappointed to get less. So the gist of her post to Karen was that her actual score may not reflect her practice score so she should practice as much as possible.

Don't we all aim for that 40? Of course the better you do, the better off you are.

Onyx

be careful. I got 11 to 13's in berkeley review a few months ago. Now, in princeton review, i'm getting 6 to 8. My scores are really jumping around. :( If you're consistently getting 12s, i think you're cool. Also, be sure, you can get the same scores in the exact time paradigm as the MCAT. Because, four hours of testing get's tiring.
AAMC's test are the most appealing to me because they are actual tests, albeit old.