Shoe Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some good recommendations for shoes? I need to get a pair for my new job. It sounds like they don't want sneakers and they need to be brown, black or white. I know a lot of people swear by Dansko's, but I have super narrow feet so I haven't been able to find a pair that fit well. Anyone have any other shoes they really like?
Edit: Also I'm super flat footed. Maybe someone has creepy feet like me? :D

Members don't see this ad.

If its the "Being on your feet" thats an issue, try Sore Dawg insoles in shoes that fit you well. They've changed my life on surgery days haha.

You could also try Merrils. I have a pair of boots, but I'm pretty sure they have nice looking shoes too. Super comfy, didnt even need new insoles in them.

I was going to suggest Danskos, but those seem to have a lot of arch support. They work for me since I have super high arches. You might try looking at styles other than their clogs though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i <3 asics running shoes for standing around. merrills are good for narrow feet though

Oh that's a good point. I do have white asics. I wonder if those would work.
And I generally love merrells, I have two pairs at the moment. But neither of them are approved colors of course.
I was thinking about maybe getting something like this?
I think I need something adjustable.

I have "creepy feet"... so creepy 8 surgeries couldn't fix them :rolleyes:.
Do you have a Fleet Feet or anything like that around you? They literally fit shoes to your foot and give you the most amazing insoles ever. I wear custom orthotic braces on a daily basis, so I know how it feels to have crappy feet, but they fit me with a great pair of Brooks and I've never felt better. Slightly expensive, but 100% worth it to feel great everyday. (They don't charge you for anything but the shoes and insoles p.s.)

I have "creepy feet"... so creepy 8 surgeries couldn't fix them :rolleyes:.
Do you have a Fleet Feet or anything like that around you? They literally fit shoes to your foot and give you the most amazing insoles ever. I wear custom orthotic braces on a daily basis, so I know how it feels to have crappy feet, but they fit me with a great pair of Brooks and I've never felt better. Slightly expensive, but 100% worth it to feel great everyday. (They don't charge you for anything but the shoes and insoles p.s.)

I'll have to check that out. I'm in so much pain if I don't wear good shoes and I'm scared any of the slip on type things are not going to work.

I'll have to check that out. I'm in so much pain if I don't wear good shoes and I'm scared any of the slip on type things are not going to work.

I know the constant aching feeling. And it messes with everything else... knees, hips, back, neck. It's so worth it to buy a pair of shoes that are right for your feet. They have a pretty methodical way of figuring it out and they spend a good amount of time with you to get the right shoe. :luck:

I second the asics suggestion! I took my retired asics running shoes to Cali during my wildlife externship this summer. We were working 13 hour days/ four days a week. I started out just wearing my toms. They made my feet hurt so I started wearing my running shoes to work. It was a big adjustment because I had been so used to wearing my no support toms, but for four weeks I just wore the asics and my feet stopped hurting! I even branched out and was probably wearing them 6/7 days a week between working at the clinic and volunteering. My feet were no trouble. I was maybe a little too rough on the shoes though :rolleyes: so now they're retired.

Does anyone have some good recommendations for shoes?

We need a thread like this for guys (except that there's... like.... 3 of us around here). I have a particularly bad arthritis problem in one big toe (stow the old-man jokes this time, it's been that way since my teens; it's related to some damage done early in life) and the wrong pair of shoes can make for an excruciating day.

Two words: Superfeet insoles. LOVE them!

Also, I'm a big fan of Birkenstocks and Crocks. Not the most attractive shoes; but damn they're comfy!

I second the Birkenstock option. I actually have Birkenstocks with custom orthotics from a physical therapy clinic built in to the sandal. It's pretty expensive, but I've had these same shoes for more than 5 years. I get 'em resoled once a year or so for fairly cheap, and thus far the orthotic and the leather straps have not needed any work.

I would recommend getting orthotics for everyone. They really make a difference, especially if you're on your feet for 8+ hours straight.

I get plantar fasciitis, and did a bunch of research before finding a soln. I found the main prob was support, you just gotta have it no matter what kind of arch you have. Also taking into account with how your feet pronate, any top brand running shoe with orthotics will do ya. I wore NB's (99X's) for a while but many times the sole cushioning crapped out too early. Turned to Nike and ended up getting Vomero 5's mated with orange SuperFeet. Still the same great shoes today and hate to get rid of them, but after 2 years they are pretty beat up. I'm finding reviews saying the new Vomero 7's suck, so I may have to try a different pair. Maybe Air Pegasus or Lunar Glides... Clarks, Brooks, Ascics, and Born are great too. I can personally vouch for the latter as well. Good luck to everyone and their "strange/weird" feet!:eek:

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go see if I can find a pair today. I'll let you know how I make out.

I get plantar fasciitis, and did a bunch of research before finding a soln. I found the main prob was support, you just gotta have it no matter what kind of arch you have. Also taking into account with how your feet pronate, any top brand running shoe with orthotics will do ya. I wore NB's (99X's) for a while but many times the sole cushioning crapped out too early. Turned to Nike and ended up getting Vomero 5's mated with orange SuperFeet. Still the same great shoes today and hate to get rid of them, but after 2 years they are pretty beat up. I'm finding reviews saying the new Vomero 7's suck, so I may have to try a different pair. Maybe Air Pegasus or Lunar Glides... Clarks, Brooks, Ascics, and Born are great too. I can personally vouch for the latter as well. Good luck to everyone and their "strange/weird" feet!:eek:

I love my Nike Moto 8s, they have cushion for days! I have unfortunately run them out after my half marathon and am also looking for replacements. I've heard great things about the Vomero 5 and 6 so far, the Air Pegasus 28 is a very comfy shoe, I almost bought a pair at the Nike Factory Store here.

Those of you who wear Danskos, (TT, especially you because of your hair.) Check out these colorful ones I found at the store this week:

D98A7F65-7268-4406-9319-CC29BCDAAD3E-14346-000014AB16B7531F.jpg

Why am I not allowed to wear fun shoes like these. WTF?!