Shoes for clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question, but what kinds of shoes do people like to wear for rotations? I don't seem to fit the clogs (too big or small) that I've tried so far. Sneakers? Birkenstocks? Will there be days I'll need ditch the scrubs to dress up and wear flats or heels?

So many decisions...

Members don't see this ad.

Wear whatever you're comfortable with. If you're in scrubs, sneakers or clogs (I prefer sneakers) are the popular choices. And yes, there are rotations where you have to get dressed up; in fact, the only rotations where we always wore scrubs was surgery and ob/gyn.

haflinger wool clogs from Germany.

try this link:
<a href="http://www.haflinger.com" target="_blank">http://www.haflinger.com</a>

I wear them almost constantly and now own 4 pairs.

The unique thing about them is they have WOOL uppers. What this means is insulation, and so your feet are cool in summer, and warm in winter. And most importantly to me, my FEET NEVER SWEAT IN THEM. I have never owned a shoe in which my feet don't sweat.

The arch is very comfortable, like a birkenstock but better, shock absorbtion very good. I wear them year round.

My other favorites are my Prada sport loafers, which are also very comfy, but made of leather and so my feet sweat in them. In addition at $350/pair they are way too expensive to risk ruining in the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by vhl:
•This may seem like a silly question, but what kinds of shoes do people like to wear for rotations? I don't seem to fit the clogs (too big or small) that I've tried so far. Sneakers? Birkenstocks? Will there be days I'll need ditch the scrubs to dress up and wear flats or heels?

So many decisions...•••••Hi there,
I only wear clogs in the OR period. They are most comfortable when you are standing in one spot. I wear walking shoes with scrubs on the floors most of the time. They allow your feet to breathe. I also invested in a couple of pairs of thigh-high TED hose for those long hours of standing. I don't wear heels at all. If I am going out after work, I will change into heels but otherwise, it's my walking shoes that get the most wear. I found running shoes too light for the hard floors. Good luck :cool:

Birkenstock Clogs without a doubt....I have a pair of the rubber clogs I think they are called Super Birkis....Great for standing in the OR...I don't know how I survived without them :clap:

I wear New Balance sneaks and am perfectly comfortable in them. The only clinics in which we are allowed to wear scrubs is on Trauma Service, the rest of the time we need to dress up - on those days I wear normal flats/loafer type shoes.

I definitely had to get used to being on my feet all day during clerkships. Find yourself a comfortable pair of shoes my friend - even if you aren't in the OR, you feet will take a beating if they aren't used to being upright for 12 hrs+ per day.