Shoes for interview (Men)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree- if you're a litttle more fashionable you can definitely pull off the socks matching your tie, but I guess it might be better to err on the conservative side when it comes to a med school interview. The basic rule is that your socks should be darker than your slacks/pants but lighter than your shoes- obviously the all black look works as an exception to this. As for shoes, its really about how much you want to spend- if you're just gonna wear it to 5-6 interviews, is it really worth dropping 300-400 bucks? Like has been said make sure the shoes have a rubber sole that has traction and not the smooth slick kind which can make you slip all over the place. Personally in that scenario I'd rather spend the extra money on a nice tie (everyone needs a solid silk navy or burgundy as a starter), which IMO is where a lot of people mess up on by going cheap.

Members don't see this ad.

you are all metrosexuals :thumbdown:

Don't forget to accessorize.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
To jota jota. I disagree with you on the sock issue. It is not imperative that the socks match the pants. While it is certainly a bonus, I don't feel it is necessary...a minor issue really in the scheme of this discussion, but I worked with many guys who wore NEON GREEN socks with their black suits because it matched their bright tie...actually looked fantastic... anyway, socks are not somethign that will be weighted heavily on your app...but still, stay away from white ones at all costs...
$20 to the first person who wears neon green socks with a black suit to their Med. School interview and has their interviewer send me a picture of them.

You are entitled to your opinion, but this just doesn't happen in the business/professional world.

you are all metrosexuals :thumbdown:

People are metrosexuals because they want to look professional for their interviews? Some people just don't have fashion sense so those that do are helping them out. I see no problem whatsoever. It is important to look the part, so why criticize people for trying to do that?

It's better to have this knowledge than not, so I don't see what the problem is.

People are metrosexuals because they want to look professional for their interviews? Some people just don't have fashion sense so those that do are helping them out. I see no problem whatsoever. It is important to look the part, so why criticize people for trying to do that?

OK fine. Not everyone who posted is a metro. But anyone who spends over $150 on dress shoes needs a serious beatdown IMHO. All the talk of $400 shoes makes me think back to junior high when people were raving about Air Jordans (I bought those, but now I am older and wiser.) Actually I am really glad that these threads exist, because I was planning on wearing a blazer until sdn taught me that would be unacceptable.

For what it's worth, I have been advised by those who have conducted interviews to dress smartly, and VERY conservatively. I'd go with Dane07's guidelines, except maybe the day-glo socks :)

As for suit color, I was told black, charcoal, or very dark blue.

It will take a lot of restraint for me not to wear a pastel shirt with a bright tie. But it would be silly to have a wardrobe issue color the impression one leaves.

I went with a pair of shoes from Allen Edmonds. Def not cheap shoes but i figure they will last and will be something I will wear for some time.

Don't buy cheap dress shoes, buy decent ones and don't be afraid to spend $150+ for them. Make sure you buy shoe trees and some decent shoe shine for them to take care of the leather. If you buy a decent pair and take care of them they will last you at least a decade or more and still look brand new. My uncle who was in the military during 'nam has always taken care of his dress shoes like he would in the army, he has a pair that he has had for 18 years and they still look like they are out of the box brand new.

But anyone who spends over $150 on dress shoes needs a serious beatdown IMHO.

Save a nickel, spend a dime. I have no problem paying more for higher quality products rather than buying cheaper stuff that I know will fall apart. I can't stand stuff like IKEA furniture which fall apart after a short amount of time.

I find this topic funny because I was at the doctors office about a week ago and my Doc was wearing rainbow colored toe-socks with sandles.

I think when I interview at OHSU (crossed fingers) I'll be sporting my black Birkenstocks with wool socks. I'm a native Oregonian and I don't want any questions about it!

I think when I interview at OHSU (crossed fingers) I'll be sporting my black Birkenstocks with wool socks. I'm a native Oregonian and I don't want any questions about it!

this would be the norm in Oregon though :p

This is dumb.

Goto Marshall's. I paid $20 for a pair of stellar dress shoes which normally go for $120. I would have never paid more than $50 or $60 (pushing it) for a pair of dress shoes. I don't need fancy leather. I need something that looks professional and accents my suit and adds to my overall appearance.

Good luck guys! ...and to the guy who said women look at shoes, you're on the money. If you can get some baller shoes, women will be impressed...

I wonder if it impresses them, like it would impress us when:

1. oh she's got some nice curls in her hair
2. wow! look at those tits!

:confused: Honest question here