Shoes for interview (Men)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate posting threads like this, but I was wondering what shoes the guys here are wearing to interviews?

I already have a pair of dress shoes but they're a bit informal. I really don't want to spend $150+ for a pair of shoes if I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate posting threads like this, but I was wondering what shoes the guys here are wearing to interviews?

I already have a pair of dress shoes but they're a bit informal. I really don't want to spend $150+ for a pair of shoes if I don't have to.

I am wearing dress shoes.

Yeah, I'd stick with formal dress shoes, but they don't have to be the best Italian leather, though. Although, getting the best shoes you can reasonably and willingly afford is not a bad idea, especially if your interviewer is a woman (research shows that women look at shoes).

Members don't see this ad :)
some Gucci loafers.

Nice MATCHING shoes. At my interview i saw allot of people that didn't know what the F*** they were doing when getting dressed that morning. Shoes match your belt that corresponds to your suit. But the shoes can be more informal as long as they are clean, polished, and are nice.

call me fashion-stupid and i am not being sarcastic but what the heck are informal dress shoes?

Be careful when buying dress shoes. Some dress shoes--notably a pair that a salesman at Men's Wearhouse tried to sell to me--are so slick on the bottom that they could easily lead to embarrassing slips or falls. Also, since some interview days can last a long time, be sure they're still reasonably comfortable.

Yeah, I'd stick with formal dress shoes, but they don't have to be the best Italian leather, though. Although, getting the best shoes you can reasonably and willingly afford is not a bad idea, especially if your interviewer is a woman (research shows that women look at shoes).

I guess for medicine a nice pair of dress dress would be a sound investment.

Thanks for the advice!

Be careful when buying dress shoes. Some dress shoes--notably a pair that a salesman at Men's Wearhouse tried to sell to me--are so slick on the bottom that they could easily lead to embarrassing slips or falls. Also, since some interview days can last a long time, be sure they're still reasonably comfortable.

Again good advice! I will also watch out for shoes that make "click click" sounds everytime you walk.

I bought those slick shoes from Men's Wearhouse.

They told me that you are supposed to scratch the bottom on cement before wearing them.

Bought a decent pair of traditional dress shoes from Banana Republic for $138. They're fairly comfortable too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoe rules for men are much simpler than for women:

make sure they match your belt and go with your suit (ie, no brown shoes if your belt is black)

comfortable (probably not the ones with the skinny tip)

They do NOT sound like high heels when you walk...I still laugh every time I hear what appears to be heels and actually turns out to be a guy walking by with some fancy dress shoes...it's hilarious.

Finally, just make sure they are clean and not scuffed and you'll be fine

I bought those slick shoes from Men's Wearhouse.

They told me that you are supposed to scratch the bottom on cement before wearing them.

Yeah, I know you're supposed to scuff them up a bit on the bottom before wearing them, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. My last pair never really gained any traction.

If you're buying new shoes, make sure you get some Scholl's padding for the back of your feet near the Achille's tendon area. I remember I kept getting blisters so I always had to wear band aids.

i bought a nice pair from ALDO for 90 bucks, i also got a nice buffer from there where u can shine ur shoes up b4 each interview...

at the same time, rockports are really comfortable so u could easily last the whole day with them...and they look like nice dress shoes, i think the shiny look is in now or even the long pointed toe look...

at the same time, rockports are really comfortable so u could easily last the whole day with them...and they look like nice dress shoes, i think the shiny look is in now or even the long pointed toe look...
Stay away from Rockports for interview shoes. Those are casual shoes, through and through. Nothing against 'em - I have a pair - but they're only slightly more suitable for interviews than black sneakers...

hurricane95 - please don't tell me you actually put a picture of your car as your avatar!

you may no longer advise anyone on shoes or other life decisions

:laugh:

i kid...:love:

:smuggrin:

<$30 at Payless Shoe Source. No joke, I have a couple pairs of them. I will not spend more than $50 on a pair of shoes. Selection isn't great, but I only wear them a couple times a year so I'm not that picky. I have black and brown leather wingtip styles and now some other kind of black shoe that's plain leather.

just to confirm, if you're wearing a black suit, you can't wear brown belt/shoes, right?

RIGHT?

I got the Bostonian Akrons for ~$55 on sale. It's not TOP grain leather, but it looks like a quality dress shoe and it gets the job done.

do you guys think these are formal enough- I wanted some tread b/c I live in snowy environments and born shoes are comfortable. These are my first pair of dress shoes ever!
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.aspx?baseno=77281&CN=Born-Devon-Wing-Tip-Shoes-For-Men

I got the black ones which look more formal than the wierd brown ones...

also they have suits here and on overstock.com if you know your sizes....polo, etc., etc.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/10018_Mens-Suits-and-Sport-Coats.html

dave

Guys, in all the worry over shoes and suits, don't forget to bring your socks! Someone did at one of my interviews.

informal dress shoes would be slip-ons/loafers. formal dress shoes will be usually be laced-up. you can google for variants of dress shoes.

go to DSW shoes or something. i bought a pair of stacy adams dress shoes for $50 and they weren't on the really marked down racks. it's a worthwhile investment anyway. you can use it now, and any other time you'll have to wear dress shoes in the next few years.

and yes, have a girl you trust and sorta knows style to look at you before you finalize outfit. also no white socks with dress shoes.

Alright folks, as a former shoe salesman at the highest grossing men's shoe department in the entire Nordstrom chain, here are a few pointers.

Rockports, Eccos, Doc Marten's, Born, and any other shoes similar to this are not dress shoes. Ecco does make some business casual shoes, which would be ok to wair with khakis or MAYBE some dark slacks, but certainly arent shoes one would wear with a suit. Personally, I would not wear any of the aforementioned shoes to an interview. I have dress shoes that range from the old fashioned penny/tassle loafter (old man shoes) to the newest most fashionable wingtips. Do yourselves all a favor and head to a place similar to a Nordstrom (or Nordstrom if you can) and find a pair of "dress" shoes. They can be had for anywhere from $79 TO $400. As much as us salesmen will clown the $79 shoes, and as much as the build quality on them is not great, if it's JUST for interviews, it's fine to go with cheap ones. Kenneth Cole has a decent cheap dress shoe line, Cole-Haan is moving in a more fashionable direction and have good slip-on dress shoes. (By the way, lace-up or slip-on is not any indication of dressiness...it's just a personal preference). Nordstrom has two brands that they own "Calzoleria Toscana (italian leather shoes for around $140/pair) and Pure Stuff (a more casual, but still acceptable dress shoe line). Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada, and Canali are all top end shoes, and hopefully none of you will be buying them until you're actually a well-dressed doc.

With price in mind, here are the rules for colors. If you have a black or charcoal suit, your shoe color is black, always. The ONE exception to this rule is if your black suit has a dark brown pinstripe, or you've got a brown/black shirt and tie combo, in which case, a DARK brown shoe is ok.

Navy suits require brown shoes. The hue of brown is up to you. If you're rocking a navy suit, a french blue shirt and a boring tie, stay darker. Make sure to try and match your belt to your shoes as much as possible as well.

Anyone bold enough to wear a seersucker suit, tan, white, or dark brown suit, you've got enough style and I don't think you need any advice. Light gray suits need a color shoe that goes with the shirt and tie...so that's up to you.

Sock color is really not an issue. Just make sure you don't wear navy socks with your black suit, otherwise, you're probably fine.

(This wasn't intended to be a Nordstrom commercial either, I don't work there anymore, but I do still think their shoe department will work with anyone if you give them a budget and purpose of the shoe.)

Good luck guys! ...and to the guy who said women look at shoes, you're on the money. If you can get some baller shoes, women will be impressed...

Oh, and when I said sock color is not an issue....athletic socks are an issue. Don't even bring them on your interview trips.

I have a pair of black leather dress shoes. They are nice and I got them for around 130 which isnt bad for italian leather shoes.

Again good advice! I will also watch out for shoes that make "click click" sounds everytime you walk.
My favorite pair of dress shoes "squeak" when I walk, so I'm looking for some other comfortable dress shoes >).

Anyone bold enough to wear a seersucker suit, tan, white, or dark brown suit, you've got enough style and I don't think you need any advice.

I have a tan suit. It's my favorite suit, but I feel it's not really an interview type suit, more for weddings imo. I think I'm going with a black suit (maybe pinstripes), blue shirt, some yellow pattern tie, black shoes, black belt with gold buckle (b/c of yellow tie). Time to throw out another several hundred bucks. :(

Navy suits require brown shoes. The hue of brown is up to you. If you're rocking a navy suit, a french blue shirt and a boring tie, stay darker. Make sure to try and match your belt to your shoes as much as possible as well.

Actually, cordovan is the preferred color to go along with a navy suit, although brown will work.

Sock color is really not an issue. Just make sure you don't wear navy socks with your black suit, otherwise, you're probably fine.

Nope, socks need to match your pants. Period. Over-the-calf socks are preferred to eliminate the possibility of visible hairy legs.

I have a tan suit. It's my favorite suit, but I feel it's not really an interview type suit, more for weddings imo. I think I'm going with a black suit (maybe pinstripes), blue shirt, some yellow pattern tie, black shoes, black belt with gold buckle (b/c of yellow tie). Time to throw out another several hundred bucks. :(

Actually it isnt bad to not wear black...it is different and will make you stand out as unique, but is not too over the top or innappropraite. I heard an interviewer at Southwestern complementing someone on the refreshing color suit that was not black. The interviewer said he often felt like a funeral was going on because of all the black suits....just a thought...whatever you choose make sure it looks appropriate thats all

lots of stuff
Wow, it's awesome to have someone who knows what they're talking about here. People, take his advice.

Via Spiga is another decent cheap brand. You can sometimes find great deals on Taryn Rose or Zegna, but they tend to list around $400...

On sock color: Best to be a shade darker than the suit, whenever possible.

No. First, you don't really need to get a black suit - charcoal or navy are far more versatile, yet suitable for the formality required by an interview. Second, the colors you rattled off are terrible. If you're going to get a black suit, you wear a white shirt. You want a blue shirt, go for a charcoal suit. Black/blue doesn't look good unless you're very careful... and judging by the colors you rattled off, you're not going to be careful, you're going to be hideous.

guys if you have buckles and metal stuff on your belts and shoes, it's a given that they should match, but also, you should never have silver+brown or gold+black. always gold+brown and silver+black.

edit: on second though silver+brown works sometimes, but gold+black is hideous.

No. First, you don't really need to get a black suit - charcoal or navy are far more versatile, yet suitable for the formality required by an interview. Second, the colors you rattled off are terrible. If you're going to get a black suit, you wear a white shirt. You want a blue shirt, go for a charcoal suit. Black/blue doesn't look good unless you're very careful... and judging by the colors you rattled off, you're not going to be careful, you're going to be hideous.

You're the first person I've seen who's said black and blue look hideous together. I see the type that you are. Black suit, white shirt, red tie. Have fun with that, very original...

Btw, when I said "black", I wasn't talking about the darkest suit possible. I refer to 3 colors when I talk: white, grey, black. I don't get into specifics of the in betweens if they're not colored (tan, navy, etc). I haven't ruled out navy yet either, but it would be a dark color.

I have a very dark charcoal suit that I am going to be wearing boht a black and blue shirt with depending on the interview. The suit is nearly black and the blue looks great with it. Perhaps it would look less than ideal ona pure black suit by mine is pretty close to black and it looks perfect to me and anyone who has seen it...

You're the first person I've seen who's said black and blue look hideous together. I see the type that you are. Black suit, white shirt, red tie. Have fun with that, very original...

Btw, when I said "black", I wasn't talking about the darkest suit possible. I refer to 3 colors when I talk: white, grey, black. I don't get into specifics of the in betweens if they're not colored (tan, navy, etc). I haven't ruled out navy yet either, but it would be a dark color.
I see. So by "black," you mean... "not black." Just like when I say "orange," I actually mean "purple with green polka dots." I'm being facetious, but black is an extreme. There isn't an alternate definition where suddenly a dark grey or charcoal and black are one and the same.

I didn't say black and blue were hideous, I said it's difficult. Powder blue is too light, navy is too dark. French blue is ideal... and then, you need the right tie, or things go to hell. For someone who claims to see three shades of color across the entire greyscale spectrum, I'm not sure this is the best plan. Yellow isn't the color you're looking for.

If you get a charcoal suit, you have more options.

And no, you certainly don't see the type of person I am.

To jota jota. I disagree with you on the sock issue. It is not imperative that the socks match the pants. While it is certainly a bonus, I don't feel it is necessary...a minor issue really in the scheme of this discussion, but I worked with many guys who wore NEON GREEN socks with their black suits because it matched their bright tie...actually looked fantastic... anyway, socks are not somethign that will be weighted heavily on your app...but still, stay away from white ones at all costs...

edit, i worked with many guys who wore crazy socks, one of whom used neon green socks... not all of them.

mmmmm, zegna shoes....well, zegna anything is amazing.

I'm sure some guy will be wearing high-heels.

I have no idea what's acceptable, but I'll tell you what i'll wear. I'm a grey or navy suit kinda guy, I'd rather shoot myself then wear black (since when did black become an acceptable day time suit color), I'll wear black shined shoes, cap toe laceups (first link on google: http://www.shoebuy.com/cap-toed-shoes.htm) , that is a seperate piece covers the toe, it'll be pretty obvious when you see it. Leather soles if it is a small campus since they look sleeker, rubber soles on big campuses cause I don't think any of this makes much of a difference, but I don't want to be in pain.