kungfufishing

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
1,053
6
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I swear I read a similar thread a few months back, but I couldnt find anything when I searched.

I have pretty bad plantar fasciitis. I typically wear running shoes. Im thinking about getting some of those "made for the hospital" hospital shoes - specifically something non absorbent with good arch support.

For those of you not locked into a multi year shoe endorsement contract, what do you wear?

(the PF is mostly from playing basketball 4Xweek for years, not a shoe problem in itself)
 

NinerNiner999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
1,516
228
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
Dansko sport clogs - comfy, great arch support, and lightweight. Now, I feel like an infomercial. Have a nice day.
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
I used the Dansko Professionals for a couple years, but I twisted my ankle too many times from the (relatively) narrow heels. I have a tendency to supinate, so my feet are a bad match for those shoes.

What I've settled on are Merrill moccasins. I like their hiking boots, and the mocs are awesome.

If you're still using running shoes/athletic shoes, cut it out. I tried that when I first got to residency, and that was a big mistake. My feet were absolutely killing by the end of the day. Those kinds of shoes are designed specifically for running, and constant pounding. For that they have to fit tightly, far too tightly for a day-long job where you stand in one place for any period of time. Go to clogs or mocs, and your feet will thank you forever.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tayloredbylightning
OP
K

kungfufishing

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
1,053
6
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Sessamoid said:
I used the Dansko Professionals for a couple years, but I twisted my ankle too many times from the (relatively) narrow heels. I have a tendency to supinate, so my feet are a bad match for those shoes.

What I've settled on are Merrill moccasins. I like their hiking boots, and the mocs are awesome.

If you're still using running shoes/athletic shoes, cut it out. I tried that when I first got to residency, and that was a big mistake. My feet were absolutely killing by the end of the day. Those kinds of shoes are designed specifically for running, and constant pounding. For that they have to fit tightly, far too tightly for a day-long job where you stand in one place for any period of time. Go to clogs or mocs, and your feet will thank you forever.
Ive had a couple pair of Merrell boots I liked. You wear the slip on type moc shoes? Ive wondered if they were nice.
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
kungfufishing said:
Ive had a couple pair of Merrell boots I liked. You wear the slip on type moc shoes? Ive wondered if they were nice.
For my feet, they're the best thing since bare feet and deep shag carpeting.
 

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2000
3,528
299
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
kungfufishing said:
I swear I read a similar thread a few months back, but I couldnt find anything when I searched.

I have pretty bad plantar fasciitis. I typically wear running shoes. Im thinking about getting some of those "made for the hospital" hospital shoes - specifically something non absorbent with good arch support.

For those of you not locked into a multi year shoe endorsement contract, what do you wear?

(the PF is mostly from playing basketball 4Xweek for years, not a shoe problem in itself)
cowboy up and wear the phat kicks you have ya damn weenie. :p

other than what people already recommended (and other than raising your pain tolerance above a 2 year old's) is to get some of those braces that keeps your feet from plantarflexing at night. oh, and get the wife to massage them each for 15 minutes daily. doctor's orders. :cool:

personally i have some slip-on leather airwalks with some arch support i wear on call. when not in those i'm in combat boots which are actually quite comfortable when broken in.

--your friendly neighborhood podiatrist impersonating caveman
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
6,040
19
47
NYC--->San Francisco
Status
Attending Physician
I have some merrills that I love. I also have some of those OR ugly type clogs with shoe inserts (dr. scholl's) which are great and they wipe off easy. I am also about to buy some dansko clogs. I have found that when my feet are really acting up (which is rare, I have more problems with my knees) that CHANGING my shoes mid shift actually can really help. I used to do this when I was on trauma surg as a med student and was on my feet for 30+ hours. changing shoes can really help.
 

dchristismi

Gin and Tonic
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
1,035
451
Central Florida
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I have the Merrell Primo Chill Slide - got them for Christmas. (Well, got a note from mom saying she'd buy me a pair.) My feet :love: them!
I have to wear custom orthotics (darn knee issues), and haven't had any problems with fit.

I also have a pair of Dansko clogs, which aren't bad, but nothing beats my Merrels. (I started by loving their hiking boots - the mocs rock!)

Just go and try some on. I knew the instant I tried them on that they were the most comfy shoes ever. :)
 

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
1,998
15
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician

Doczilla

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
146
3
Stomping Tokyo to ruins
Status
Knee high elephant skin boots with stiletto heels. :D


I wear Rockport Prowalker Glynn walking shoes (about $50) with Dr. Scholl's Tricomfort inserts (about $6 at any grocery store). Conveniently, they come in two colors: "round your ass off on medicine black," and "stop giving me sh#t because they look like nurse shoes white." They are really nice and soft, flex well, wipe clean, and I don't twist my ankle. I usually get them from the Rockport Outlet in Williamsburg, which will take phone orders.


'zilla
 

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
7,742
218
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
Doczilla said:
Knee high elephant skin boots with stiletto heels. :D

'zilla
I agree but my current pair are almost worn out. It's tough to find them in a men's 11 so I may be back to platform jellies.
 

USAF MD '05

Just another dumb ER doc.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
249
0
44
across the pond
Status
Attending Physician
Anybody know of a brick and mortar store that sells Merrills? I haven't seen them before and would love to try on a pair. I crashed my motorcycle last fall and crushed my left foot. ( Metatarsals 1-4 with complete fx and 2 lisfranc fx :( ) These sound like they would be great, because let me tell ya- 12 hours and that puppy is BARKIN'!! :scared:
Appreciate the help, my 6 inch spike heels made of clear acrylic just aren't cutting it anymore! :laugh:
Good luck to you guys on match day!
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status

crom

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
2
0
Status
I have some pretty wide feet, which makes it hard to find comfortable shoes. I tried those merrel mocs, but they're too narrow. Has anybody else with big boat-lookin' feet out there found shoes they can recommend?
 

Koko

Koko
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
366
0
The Jungle
Status
crom said:
I have some pretty wide feet, which makes it hard to find comfortable shoes. I tried those merrel mocs, but they're too narrow. Has anybody else with big boat-lookin' feet out there found shoes they can recommend?
I love my Danskos. They provide unparalleled support and stretch nicely to accomodate my 747s.

:thumbup:
 

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
2,900
3
Status
> Has anybody else with big boat-lookin' feet out there found shoes
> they can recommend?

When I was 15, a shoe salesperson recommended to purchase a pair of whitewater kayaks...

Anyway, I found Timberland 'Pro' series 6in steel-toed workboots to be very comfortable. They are wide enough to accomodate my unusually wide paddle shaped feet. (and if it ever became necessary, you can plant them up someones behind to leave no questions open)

Also, Clarks/Bostonian's come in like 3 different widths.
 

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
487
0
Puget Sound
Status
Attending Physician
Sessamoid said:
I used the Dansko Professionals for a couple years, but I twisted my ankle too many times from the (relatively) narrow heels. I have a tendency to supinate, so my feet are a bad match for those shoes.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. I can twist my ankle in those things standing still! It's kind of like being a good skiier but having a tendency to fall over in the lift line, get tangled in the ropes, and then needing extrication -- everyone just sort of looks at you like you're a neurocase.
BUT, they are still the most comfy shoes I own.
 

jonahhelix

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 13, 2004
48
0
Status
Yeah, it's a common topic with my friends... i.e., what's the most goofy you've looked rolling your ankle in Danskos? But we all still wear them, because they're really comfy otherwise.

We usually comment about how you can roll really badly but it doesn't ever actually hurt your ankle.... but just last week my friend hairlined her cuboid after a bad spill.

I still like 'em... especially standing for hours in the OR.

:thumbup:
 

WilcoWorld

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
3,018
1,779
Status
For someone else's money, Mephisto makes the most comfortable shoes the world's ever known. They are a bit pricey, but I got 'em for X-Mas, and I have never worn a clog so comfy.
I'm also a big fan of Blundstones from Australia. Too expensive to buy stateside, but if you can get 'em mailed to you from Oz they're a great deal.
 

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
1,678
2
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
WilcoWorld said:
For someone else's money, Mephisto makes the most comfortable shoes the world's ever known. They are a bit pricey, but I got 'em for X-Mas, and I have never worn a clog so comfy.
I'm also a big fan of Blundstones from Australia. Too expensive to buy stateside, but if you can get 'em mailed to you from Oz they're a great deal.

Have to respectfully disagree with the Mephisto thing. I got a pair of Mephisto dress shoes once and I can't say that I've ever had a more uncomfortable pair of shoes in my life, but that's just one man's opinion.

I'm a fan of danskos myself.

later
 
OP
K

kungfufishing

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
1,053
6
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
since I started this thread (what a waste of a hijack, btw - perfect for the prime hijackable thread presently active on this board...)

I got the birk pro clogs. They're pretty much the bombay as far as Im concerned (not to be confused with the bengali or...well my indian geography isnt great...). Non absorbent, comfy, and they go great with my "dutch boy" disguise when the FBI is on my tail.
 

Globus P

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
186
0
Arizona
Visit site
Status
Homunculus said:
other than what people already recommended (and other than raising your pain tolerance above a 2 year old's) is to get some of those braces that keeps your feet from plantarflexing at night. oh, and get the wife to massage them each for 15 minutes daily. doctor's orders. :cool:
--your friendly neighborhood podiatrist impersonating caveman
Before spending $60 for the braces, try stretching out your psoas muscles. Tight psoas leads to tight hams, tight gastroc/soleus, to tight achilles and finally a very tight plantar aponeurosis.

Braces simply treat the symptom, not the cause.
(Advice from a sports medicine doc (DO) who runs dozens of marathons every year, for many years).

Try it, you'll be a believer. :)
 

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2000
3,528
299
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Globus P said:
Tight psoas leads to tight hams, tight gastroc/soleus, to tight achilles and finally a very tight plantar aponeurosis.
kinda like how the hand bone is connected to the wrist bone is connected to the arm bone is connected to the shoulder bone?

you DO's are strange bunch . . :cool:

the dutch boy theme works well for you kungfu. after all, we all know that EM docs are the little dutch boys of medicine-- they poke their finger in the hole until someone else can come fix it . . . :cool: :smuggrin:

damn i'm feeling my oats today. :D

--your friendly neighborhood snarky caveman
 

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
1,295
284
40
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
crom said:
I have some pretty wide feet, which makes it hard to find comfortable shoes. I tried those merrel mocs, but they're too narrow. Has anybody else with big boat-lookin' feet out there found shoes they can recommend?
New Balance. Just have someone measure your feet and get some of the wider ones. They have regular sizes for the length (6-20) and then letters for the width (2A-6E).

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in New Balance, I've just been wearing them for over 10 years and love them. :) They even have a discount program for physicians (residents included) that I'm planning on taking advantage of come July!
 
OP
K

kungfufishing

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
1,053
6
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Homunculus said:
kinda like how the hand bone is connected to the wrist bone is connected to the arm bone is connected to the shoulder bone?

you DO's are strange bunch . . :cool:

the dutch boy theme works well for you kungfu. after all, we all know that EM docs are the little dutch boys of medicine-- they poke their finger in the hole until someone else can come fix it . . . :cool: :smuggrin:

damn i'm feeling my oats today. :D

--your friendly neighborhood snarky caveman
Ive got your little dutch boy right here
 

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
7,742
218
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
On an unrelated note I was watching CSI the other night and they nailed somebody for murder after they found a spot of blood on his shoes. I started to worry because if they ever go through my closet they figure I killed like 80 people. Oh well.
 

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
20,322
5,108
SCREW IT!
docB said:
On an unrelated note I was watching CSI the other night and they nailed somebody for murder after they found a spot of blood on his shoes. I started to worry because if they ever go through my closet they figure I killed like 80 people. Oh well.
Do Gus and Catherine stop by your ED frequently?

Or were you watching CSI-Duluth, or CSI-Cleveland, or CSI-Wichita, or whatever?

On a comparatively even more unrelated note, remember an SNL skit from 20 years ago of "Cleveland Vice" - this was the time when Miami Vice would have the "in stereo" on the screen with the headphones, but this skit had the "in mono", with only half the headphones, and the skit centered on the thrilling illicit side of Cleveland in winter.

Oh, and, the obligatory "dig" - if I want to see people you've killed, I'll just look at your charts! Joke - it's a joke!
 

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
7,742
218
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
Apollyon said:
Do Gus and Catherine stop by your ED frequently?
Joke - it's a joke!
We do get Vegas CSI in frequently. I usually rib them about the show and they roll their eyes. Then I point out that we had to put up with the same silliness back when ER came out.
 

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
8,677
720
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
Yay! I just bought a brand new pair of Danskos on ebay. They are the Dansko professionals and total (with shipping) came to $79.00!!! Hopefully my feet will be happy this summer!
 

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
7,742
218
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
On the subject of shoes I sprained my ankle a few months back and I really needed something that would give me some lateral support. I started wearing my old fire fighting boots. Black high tops, zip plates, steel toes, the works. They are the comfiest (yeah you try to spell it) shoes I've ever had. I'd forgotten how great they are. Now I wear them all the time. I look like a weirdo but I'm used to that. And as the Gellin insoles ads have taught us as long as your tootsies are comfy it doesn't matter how big a dweeb you are. These days (ankle's all better) I alternate between the fire boots and a pair of hiking boots. My feet feel better at the end of a shift than when I wear New Balance.