Shopping for Clinical Clothes

Started by Miss July
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Miss July

PA-S
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ladies, where have you had good luck finding appropriate, attractive, comfortable clothes for clinic? Ann Taylor is about the best I've found so far. I'm 5'5" and petite. Everything I try on, either the knee line is too high, or the butt too tight if it's a skirt or dress, or the waist fits loosely if it's slacks. And I'm through with button down shirts, they are constantly coming untucked and either fit my hips, bust, or torso, but never all three! I don't mind getting things tailored, but I'm having trouble finding anything I like in the first place. Help with shoes would be amazing too.

Also, I can't seem to find any heels or wedges I like under 3 inches. I bought the Danskos, but would like to avoid wearing them unless I'm actually in scrubs.

I've found a few decent things from Zara, Calvin Klein, and J Crew, but the vast majority of their selection doesn't fit me well. So frustrated and being booted into rotations very soon, help pleaseeeee 😱 Right now I feel like I'm either going to come off looking like Pretty Woman or a nun!
 
New York and Company on the sales rack. Don't get clothes anywhere else. I am 5'5'' too. There is no subsitute.


I wear Dansko's everyday. Have for 5 years. The only shoe that saves my feet and back. If you don't like the plain colors then get the flashier Sanita brand
 
Definitely agree with NY&Company. I've had particularly good luck with their slacks. And they come in petite sizes too.

I also found some good, though basic, stuff at Kohl's.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely agree with NY&Company. I've had particularly good luck with their slacks. And they come in petite sizes too.

I also found some good, though basic, stuff at Kohl's.

Yes, and everything at NY&C mixes and matches so you don't have to think reallyearly in the morning. Plus they have great suit jackets to match the slacks when you get to the interview phase. Their pants come in long, short, petite, and regular sizes. The best store ever.
 
I get most of my work clothes from the Limited and Express. A lot of their shirts/sweaters are cute enough that you can wear them outside of word with jeans as well. I gave up on cute shoes and mostly wear my Dansko clogs with my dress pants. If I wear a skirt or dress, I typically wear ballerina flats. On rare occasion, I will wear heels or wedges.
 
Give up on the idea of comfortable heels that you can wear for 12 hours. That is crazy talk.
We clearly have not met 😛 I've worn 4 inch heels for 8 hour shifts, walked miles around the city, and could most likely run a 5k in them (like these ladies). I feel really weird wearing flats and shorter heels, but I know I'm probably going to have to accept their part in my future as a depressing reality...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried all of those places in the past and they usually fit pretty poorly, but I'll give NY&Co another shot.