Short guys get rejected after interviews more often?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooliodoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like many post-interview rejections were sent to short guys. I am beginning to believe that height plays a big factor in this. I am only 5' 7 1/2'' and maybe that was the reason that I got rejected. I am pretty sure that the other two dudes that got rejected from Drexel and other east coast schools were around my height? I guess some schools like Drexel judge candidates based on height. Oh well, who wants to go to that kind of school anyway

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, Im definitely applying to Drexel then, but sorry for the rejection.

so coolio doctor...is that kinda like snoop-dog resident? or is it snoop-dog attending now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure that short guys don't get rejected after interviews. That seems like a ridiculous statement! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT... to be sure, we should take a pool of 1000, no 10,000 accepted medical students this year and get their height. Then we should make some sort of chart to correlate the found data. I'm willing to bet my left t------ that there is no relation between height and acceptance.

I am also 5' 7", and I have been lucky enough not to get any post-interview rejections.

IMO, good things come in small packages. :cool:

There is an operation that can fix this called Cosmetic Leg Lengthening. As you can imagine, it involves breaking your bones and allowing them to heal placed slightly farther apart multiple times. You should try it! No need to go through life disadvantaged when a simple operation exists to cure it! ;)

http://www.shortsupport.org/Misc/faq.html#leg3

They probably think you suck at dunking a basketball. I heard Drexel likes strong dunkers.

you obviously are not comfortable with your shortness. they probably picked up on your lack of confidence. doesn't that seem a lot more plausible than "drexel hates short people"?

(pretty sure this guy is not being serious)

I gotta say that a sample size of 3 people can't really tell you that much.

I sympathize, though. I have tried to come up with all sorts of reasonable explanations for my "holds", "waitlists" and "rejections". All of them are rooted in the basic, but infallible philosophy that I am a great applicant and they are making a mistake.

Just throwing it out there that 5' 7" is short, but it's not THAT short. My dad is 5' 4" (on a good day) and it didn't stop him from getting into med school. Now he was a white male applying in the '70s, so maybe that helped him a bit....

My dad is 5' 4" (on a good day) and it didn't stop him from getting into med school. Now he was a white male applying in the '70s, so maybe that helped him a bit....

Just out of curiosity, but what does it mean to be a certain height on a good day? Perhaps it is just due to a language barrier (I moved here from another country).

Being tall does confer advantages in business and politics. It probably confers advantages in medicine as well. It is more perception than reality probably. Perhaps tall men have more self confidence because of social perceptions and this works to their advantage and makes them appear more dynamic. Women seem to prefer tall men. I am 6'2", so I can't complain. I like my height. I don't think I would want to be 6'6"' or 6'8". I think that the key is just relax and enjoy being who you are and comfortable in your own skin. Certainly being 5'7" shouldn't derail you career, although it may limit your pool of available women. Most women like to look up at their guy, not down. Probably a genetic thing with girls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, but what does it mean to be a certain height on a good day? Perhaps it is just due to a language barrier (I moved here from another country).

Hey dendrite, it's just an expression. Mostly it's just added on for emphasis or to make something humorous.

It basically means that he's really a little shorter than that, but he says he's 5' 4" as a way of rounding up. I'm using "on a good day" as a way of casually indicating that.

It is true that you are slightly taller in the morning than you are in the evening due to gravity compressing your spine, but the difference is pretty negligible (in case someone else thought that's what I was referring to)

This is hilarious!

Yes, you definitely didn't get rejected for anything that was in your control. Go home to Mommy and she'll make you feel all better.

I'm sure a lot of short people with 3.2 GPAs and no volunteering get rejected, but maybe if you were a couple inches taller (and thus more capable of doing well in medical school) they would be accepted.

Sorry you were born short, obviously that's how you justify the fact you have no friends as well.

The world is so harsh

Dendrite: A similar expression you might encounter would be "she's a hundred and ten pounds soaking wet" which means the same thing. It's a way of saying the person is probably a little under the figure given as well as emphasizing how small the figure is anyway.

In addition to "on a good day" I also like "with his socks on".

The future doctors of america need to be up on their cultural literacy.

To the OP: The only way this is a problem is if it gets in your head and throws you off your game. Just be confident and secure in the fact (and it really is a fact) that they don't care how tall you are.

It seems like many post-interview rejections were sent to short guys. I am beginning to believe that height plays a big factor in this. I am only 5' 7 1/2'' and maybe that was the reason that I got rejected. I am pretty sure that the other two dudes that got rejected from Drexel and other east coast schools were around my height? I guess some schools like Drexel judge candidates based on height. Oh well, who wants to go to that kind of school anyway

For starters, 5'7.5" isn't all that short. You have some major self-esteem issues dude. Don't let your insecurities about your height keep you from performing your best on interviews.

PS. I heard a friend of a friend's brother is so tall, he didn't need to take the MCAT and was accepted to Drexel.

This is sh*tty flame.

there could be a hidden variable.

made up ex:
taller guys tend to be more outgoing and have more success with the factors that admissions committees see as desirable.

More likely, a sample size of 3 is not sufficient to make judgements with any significance.

Dude, I'm 5'4" and I have two acceptances. I can't believe height has any serious effect on your application.

This post is clearly just another way to boast/commiserate about penis size.

jk. but seriously, height may shape initial judgments by interviewers, but as soon as you open your mouth all that goes out the window.

Actually, I suspect that tall people do have higher rates of acceptance than short people, assuming equivalent grades, MCAT, and EC's. I also suspect that people who are very physically attractive have higher rates of acceptance than unattractive folks who have a comparable academic and extracurricular record. Of course that is not fair, but it probably is true.

Have you noticed that U.S. Presidents tend to be taller than 6 foot - there is a sociological reason for this. Why do you think that Dennis Kucinich's presidential campaign is going nowhere, aside from the fact that he publicly affirmed his belief in UFO's recently. As I recall, Kucinich is about 5'6" and when he is in a group debate on television, all of the other candidates are looking down on him physically. So nobody takes him seriously. Of course, Hillary is not six foot, but the ladies are held to a different standard. She just has to prove that she is tough enough to order the fighter jets into the air and bombs away when the circumstances demand it. Now, Golda Meir, the former prime minister of Israel, that was one tough grandmother.

Actually, I suspect that tall people do have higher rates of acceptance than short people, assuming equivalent grades, MCAT, and EC's. I also suspect that people who are very physically attractive have higher rates of acceptance than unattractive folks who have a comparable academic and extracurricular record. Of course that is not fair, but it probably is true.

Have you noticed that U.S. Presidents tend to be taller than 6 foot - there is a sociological reason for this. Why do you think that Dennis Kucinich's presidential campaign is going nowhere, aside from the fact that he publicly affirmed his belief in UFO's recently. As I recall, Kucinich is about 5'6" and when he is in a group debate on television, all of the other candidates are looking down on him physically. So nobody takes him seriously. Of course, Hillary is not six foot, but the ladies are held to a different standard. She just has to prove that she is tough enough to order the fighter jets into the air and bombs away when the circumstances demand it. Now, Golda Meir, the former prime minister of Israel, that was one tough grandmother.

I read a study that there is a direct correlation between height and success in life-in almost all fields (except for like horse jockey) until you hit 6'5, and then it drops pretty quickly

actually, shorter guys make better leaders. Look at Napoleon, Hitler, Mussolini, Putin, etc.
OF course, N.Bonaparte being the classic example. I am talking about medicine not being a great emperor. Searun , are u sure u are in med school? although i am a loser now, I hope i dont continue to be one at med school. I dont plan to visit pre-med forums as a med student because I cant find a gf. thanks

actually, shorter guys make better leaders. Look at Napoleon, Hitler, Mussolini, Putin, etc.
OF course, N.Bonaparte being the classic example. I am talking about medicine not being a great emperor. Searun , are u sure u are in med school? although i am a loser now, I hope i dont continue to be one at med school. I dont plan to visit pre-med forums as a med student because I cant find a gf. thanks

Don't know if I'd call them great leaders....psycho leaders yes.

Know this is irrelevant to the topic at hand but what about short girls:scared: I'm 5'2 nearing 5'3 but hey if I have to be tall I can walk very comfortably in 3 inch heels and a bit taller

Don't know if I'd call them great leaders....psycho leaders yes.

Know this is irrelevant to the topic at hand but what about short girls:scared: I'm 5'2 nearing 5'3 but hey if I have to be tall I can walk very comfortably in 3 inch heels and a bit taller

you could wear your hair in a beehive too.

that would help. :laugh:

I hope that I am in medical school because I sawed a body in half recently. If I am not in medical school, then I will have a promising career as a felon for an abuse of corpse conviction.

Regarding your comment about shorter guys being better leaders, there are those who would take issue with your characterization of Hitler, Mussolini, and Putin as great leaders. Napoleon, I will give you Napoleon, although he underestimated the Russians, as did Hitler, and various and sundry others. You may not like the Russians, but never underestimate the Russians.

I certainly hope that you get into medical school, and you probably will. And I am sorry that you cannot find a girl friend. But you are not the first, and certainly not the last, male pre med who cannot find a girl friend. It is a common problem on college campuses across America. So, just whistle a happy song!

Searun , are u sure u are in med school? although i am a loser now, I hope i dont continue to be one at med school. I dont plan to visit pre-med forums as a med student

Keep this up, and SDN will be 100% blind leading the blind instead of 85%.

:laugh::laugh:

While I can't speak to medical admissions, there is a book on the subject of height and success in males. It's called "Size Matters" by Stephen Hall (who happens to be short). As described in the book, height and success is a complex bio-psycho-social phenomenon with a crap-load of variables attached to it.

In the end, it's likely that we were all endowed with attributes that are both advantageous and disadvantageous to our future (and occasionally the things that we thought were weaknesses turn to our benefit).

As Slug of Atmosphere put it:
"Bring your own agenda and embrace your flaws,
Use the stress, fuel your motivation, and build your nest"

While I can't speak to medical admissions, there is a book on the subject of height and success in males. It's called "Size Matters" by Stephen Hall (who happens to be short). As described in the book, height and success is a complex bio-psycho-social phenomenon with a crap-load of variables attached to it.

In the end, it's likely that we were all endowed with attributes that are both advantageous and disadvantageous to our future (and occasionally the things that we thought were weaknesses turn to our benefit).

As Slug of Atmosphere put it:
"Bring your own agenda and embrace your flaws,
Use the stress, fuel your motivation, and build your nest"

Exactly. I am glad that I am 6"2". I am comfortable at this height. I have been able to make 6"2" work for me and I have no desire to be 6"6". And the OP is right, Napoleon was able to make 5"4" work for him, and God knows, Napoleon changed the course of European history with a 5"4". And I think that, actually, Napoleon did better than the average premed, with the girls of France.

Exactly. I am glad that I am 6"2". I am comfortable at this height. I have been able to make 6"2" work for me and I have no desire to be 6"6". And the OP is right, Napoleon was able to make 5"4" work for him, and God knows, Napoleon changed the course of European history with a 5"4". And I think that, actually, Napoleon did better than the average premed, with the girls of France.

whoa 6 2''
for some reason, i have this stereotype that all surgeons are tall, especially the ortho guys. surgery residency guaranteed for you, searun.
and USMLE, forget about it, just insert your height and shoe size is optional.
congratulations to you.

on a more serious note, OP, don;t sweat it, you'll make it if you have brains. i bet your rejection had nothing to do with your height. well i predicted my friends near future, and ended up being right (yes, i am a witch). my intuition tells me that you'll get into a very good med school, and meet a very cute nurse that will worship you, and you will end up having three kids with her. oh and did i mention you getting into neurosurgery. yes you will, just a bit of patience. (j/k about the witch part) cheer up:D

OMG the OP got banned??? why???:scared: poor guy, he is short and also just got rejected:scared: oh nooo, my post is useless then. i hate when that happens.

Thank you Sir Buckethead, LikeClockWork, and thoffen.

Sir Buckethead, I never heard of those expressions either, but they make sense.

I do need to get more in touch with such expressions. Learn something new each day I say...

whoa 6 2''
for some reason, i have this stereotype that all surgeons are tall, especially the ortho guys. surgery residency guaranteed for you, searun.
congratulations to you.

on a more serious note, OP, don;t sweat it, you'll make it if you have brains. i bet your rejection had nothing to do with your height. well i predicted my friends near future, and ended up being right (yes, i am a witch). my intuition tells me that you'll get into a very good med school, and meet a very cute nurse that will worship you, and you will end up having three kids with her. oh and did i mention you getting into neurosurgery. yes you will, just a bit of patience. (j/k about the witch part) cheer up:D

My theory, at this stage of life, mid twenties, if you are straight, is that everything pretty much revolves around trying to find a life partner, and procreate, even if you are not aware of it, it is happening to you, and influencing all of our choices, men and women. Certainly not everybody, but most of us.

My theory, at this stage of life, mid twenties, if you are straight, is that everything pretty much revolves around trying to find a life partner, and procreate, even if you are not aware of it, it is happening to you, and influencing all of our choices, men and women. Certainly not everybody, but most of us.

yes we premeds need a separate thread on procreation: pre med procreation union for neurotic pre-meds, children will be available for adoption by SDN mods (who are NORMAL people), since med school will only make everyone more neurotic.

whoa 6 2''
congratulations to you.

You are a witch? Damn, I was hoping to meet you at Church on Sunday, and I am 6"2". Oh, wait, I am Napoleon, but thank god when I was reincarnated, I am 6"2".

You are a witch? Damn, I was hoping to meet you at Church on Sunday, and I am 6"2". Oh, wait, I am Napoleon, but thank god when I was reincarnated, I am 6"2".

don't worry, i am a good witch, so i don;t burn when holy water is sprinkled on me:D

yes we premeds need a separate thread on procreation: pre med procreation union for neurotic pre-meds, children will be available for adoption by SDN mods (who are NORMAL people), since med school will only make everyone more neurotic.

:laugh:

seriously though...i wonder if anyone is like me and resigned themselves to the idea of never marrying or having children from the moment they paid their first amcas fee?

:laugh:

seriously though...i wonder if anyone is like me and resigned themselves to the idea of never marrying or having children from the moment they paid their first amcas fee?

I know how you feel. Definitely have no romantic life, and never will. Ugh, now' I'm depressed. Damn you!!

And I'm 5'1 with two acceptances, so put that up your pipe and smoke it!

is it rude to ask why he got banned? i hope it wasnt for making this thread :(

It seems like many post-interview rejections were sent to short guys. I am beginning to believe that height plays a big factor in this. I am only 5' 7 1/2'' and maybe that was the reason that I got rejected.

Clearly that's why you got rejected. Stop playing the victim

I think Im high.... Every post im readying is making me laugh, and its freaking 7:23 in the morning, and all i've had is a grilled cheese sandwich.... *note to self, cheese makes you high early in the morning*

All I've got to say is Dr. Bob Kelso is Chief of Medicine... You think he is too short to be successful? Guess what has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap.

Thank you Sir Buckethead, LikeClockWork, and thoffen.

Sir Buckethead, I never heard of those expressions either, but they make sense.

I do need to get more in touch with such expressions. Learn something new each day I say...

That's actually a very good idea. Once you get the basics down and get a hang of inflection and stuff, the most impressive thing a person learning english can do is learn idiomatic expressions like that. It will make all us monolingual americans feel like lazy scumbags. Which we are.