Short Sleeve Shirts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoonfats

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have the fashion sense of a stump. I am wondering if it is considered acceptable to wear short-sleeve "dress" shirts with a tie. I get mighty hot wearing long sleeve shirts and a white coat, and I wonder about getting rid of the sleeves. Would I look like a a dork?

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I wear short sleeved shirts with a tie. This is a fashion no no. I know I look like a dork with it on, but I could care less (afterall, I'm a geek!).

Seriously, I would rather be comfortable than be hot and look nice. Besides, the majority of times I have my white coat on, so you can't tell I have a short sleeve shirt on anyhow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wearing a short sleeved shirt with a tie would make you look like you just walked out of 1980 (especially if it was one of those skinny black ties), which is not necessarily a bad thing since I'm particularly fond of the 80's. But most likely nobody will care as long as you look neat. But why not just wear a very light (i.e. cotton) dress shirt and roll up the sleeves?

Over here it gets so hot the consultants and registrars not only wear short-sleeve shirts, but also shorts with long socks and shoes. Now that's the complete look.

anybody seen Office Space?

I see some people in the hospital wear that....they look like big dorks. However, I do agree that it would be way more comfortable. I've taken to permanently rolling up sleeves to the elbow of my longsleeve shirts.

I too think that people who wear short sleeve dress shirts look like dorks, that being said try wearing long sleeves and washing your hands 30 times in a day -- you'll have soaked cuffs all day -- yuck. If you're wearing a white coat, noone will know anyway.

Ed

I think if Sipowicz can pull off that look, so can you.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Cast my vote for "dork". Is it really THAT hot IN the hospital? I'm always cold.

In the clinics, yes. In the OR, probably not.

If we didn't have to wear our white coats, then I wouldn't be complaining about the heat in long sleeve shirts.

Originally posted by Geek Medic
In the clinics, yes. In the OR, probably not.

I'm hoping that no one is wearing any type of dress shirt in the OR--short OR long sleeved :) Do a rotation through a burn unit, and you'll never complain of heat in the hospital again (they crank the heat to 90-95+ in there).

--Brendan--
<"}}}}}><

has anyone seen that movie with Michael Douglas from a few years back.. where its about his one long bad day.. And he ends up shooting people and doing crazy stuff all cause it started with getting stuck in traffic.. well he walks around the whole movie with a short sleeved shrit and tie and whenever i see a guy wearing that i think he must be a pyscho like douglas was in the movie! ha

Someone once said, "Short sleeved dress shirts are only appropriate if you work at NASA." As for me, I accept that while interns and residents get to parade around the hospital in pajamas (AKA scrubs), and my attending can show up in a polo shirt or even a t-shirt, as a third-year med student I am stuck with trying to look the part and impress anyone who doesn't really know that I don't know anything! Really, though, long sleeves are the traditional approach- you may be able to get away with short sleeves or even no tie once in a while, but eventually some anal retentive, appearance conscious attenting or resident will take note of it and probably let you evaluation reflect their dissatisfaction. I don't like it, but I suck it up and look forward to the pajama days!

Originally posted by dlbruch
eventually some anal retentive, appearance conscious attenting or resident will take note of it and probably let you evaluation reflect their dissatisfaction.

Then sobeit. I'm not that much of a brown noser to care if my attending wants me looking like Mr. GQ. I show up in a tie and look professional as long as I am wearing my white coat. If I do a procedure that requires that I take off the white coat, then 95% of the time I'm gowned up, so patients never see me with a short sleeve shirt and a tie. The vast majority of times the attendings don't see me that way either unless I take my white coat off to eat at a conference.

If you're wearing a lab coat over the shirt during work, i think it's a practical thing to do...if you have an event where your appearance is relevant (presentation, etc.) and you're judged by this, i think you should wear a lighter long-sleeved shirt...but for everyday routine work, be practical.

If you're wearing a lab coat over the shirt during work, i think it's a practical thing to do...if you have an event where your appearance is relevant (presentation, etc.) and you're judged by this, i think you should wear a lighter long-sleeved shirt...but for everyday routine work, be practical.