Anyone roll up their sleeves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading a few of the neurotic appearance during 3rd year threads got me curious. Seems like rolling up the sleeves on your dress shirt and/or white coat would be much more sanitary. Curious what the gods of MS3 faux pauxs think...

Members don't see this ad.

When doing dirty tasks, take off the white coat, rolling sleeves perfectly acceptable. Rolling the white coat sleeves look terrible IMO.

I hate when people roll up the sleeves of their white coats! Mine were too long so I hemmed them. Rolling just looks unprofessional.

When you have to do a procedure, take off the coat. Rolling the sleeves of your dress shirt if perfectly fine, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, do most of you guys wear watches?

Yup. I only take it off when I'm in the OR or doing a procedure.

In my opinion, a watch is as important an "accessory" as a belt, regardless of functionality in these newfangled smartphone days.

Please don't do like we do in England and adopt this crazy 'bare below the elbows' rule. Absolute nonsense and has been disproved in research.

We aren't allowed to wear white coats here or ties and everything has to be rolled up. It looks sloppy and unprofessional imo and just leads to the whole standard of dress deteriorating. People come in wearing stuff that they have been out clubbing in ffs. The sole advantage is the 'ez ironing' where you just iron up to the elbows and ignore the bottom half and cuffs since they are rolled :D

it's all about temperature control.

Or you could do what one of my ER attendings has done....

Have the white coat altered so that the sleeves hit mid-forearm and wear short sleeved shirts.....

One of the most brilliant, clinically astute profs I have ever known....and personable to boot...

Only when it's time to kick ass. Otherwise, it's just not gentlemanly.

Only when it's time to kick ass. Otherwise, it's just not gentlemanly.

Or you could go totally samurai and tie on the hachimaki, raise both arms and shout 'Banzai'.....but probably not before certain exams.....:D

I admit, I roll them up in the ED since I'm wearking scrubs under my coat. Mostly due to the fact that I'm constantly in and out of rooms and it can get frickin hot down there. Most of the time, I don't even realize that I've done it. I don't think anyone cares since a lot of the attendings and a number of the ED residents don't wear coats.

As for on the wards? I wouldn't try it if you're wearing professional dress under your coat.

This is cracking me up. When you get ready to do a procedure, take the white coat off?

Wasn't the original purpose of the white coat was to keep the street clothes clean, not the other way around? I don't know, I'm asking.

Anyway, the fashion today must be a pristine white coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is cracking me up. When you get ready to do a procedure, take the white coat off?

Doing a procedure usually requires sterile technique. Highly advised to take the coat off before gowning up because it's so bulky and could interfere with movement. No way would you want to wear your coat while doing "clean" procedures wearing sterile gloves (suture, LP, etc) because you will contaminate yourself and the field. white coat = dirty and only used for carrying stuff, not for "protecting yourself". If you feel the need to be protected from bodily fluids, put on a gown, mask, face shield, gloves, booties, etc.

and yes i roll my sleeves when wearing scrubs in the ED. Not while wearing professional dress of course.. but under scrubs it feels a lot "cleaner" and cooler to not have to mess with full-sleeves.. UK style ftw.

Wasn't the original purpose of the white coat was to keep the street clothes clean, not the other way around? I don't know, I'm asking.

To my understanding, the original purpose of physicians adopting a white coat was to steal "street cred" from scientists...

I do when im wearing scrubs cuz i usually get pretty warm...if im wearing clinic stuff then no cuz it just all bunches up. I think I pull it off well though cuz its not baggy on me and only goes mid forearm or so

Nowadays, I roll up my sleeves religiously after I got poop on my sleeve once during my first rotation.

Just think about it, you can't sanitize your sleeves and the patients will suffer (at least for me mentally).
That's my 2 cents.

It's more about mentality than about actual facts. Almost like not willing to eat medium rare pork.

I rolled the sleeves up on my white coat on day 1 of 3rd year and haven't un-rolled them since. I can't stand things around my wrists - I always roll up the sleeves on a dress shirt, so what's the difference? I wear white dress shirts about half the time anyway. I figure most people don't even notice. I don't buy into the idea that it looks unprofessional. I'm doing family med right now and unprofessional to me is all the residents wearing scrubs everyday, even though they never get anywhere near an OR.

I roll up my sleeves and pop my collar when I have to wear scrubs which is 75% of the time. When I'm wearing professional dress, I don't roll up my sleeves...but my collar stays popped 'cause that's how I roll...:mad:

I've rolled up my white coat sleeves (with scrubs and professional attire) since day 1 of MS3, and I've never gotten a comment on it (other than a "whoa that looks kinda cool" from a fellow student). The attendings don't really care, it's all about your performance.

I've rolled up my white coat sleeves (with scrubs and professional attire) since day 1 of MS3, and I've never gotten a comment on it (other than a "whoa that looks kinda cool" from a fellow student). The attendings don't really care, it's all about your performance.

Same here... I have been rolling up my sleeves, because it is not a good idea to do bimanuals on patients with your sleeves to your wrists... No one has said anything to me either... or maybe it is a UTSW thing:confused:

I roll up my sleeves all the time for several reasons:

1. I hate things touching my wrists
2. Temperature control
3. Water splashing my sleeves when washing hands creeps me out
4. I don't want my sleeves brushing patients when I examine them.

No one gives a crap that I do it. I've never gotten a comment. I also only wear short sleeved shirts under my white coat.

I've got scrubs on under my white coat, and while my white coat gets washed about every other week, my scrubs are washed daily.

Rolling up sleeves helps reduce fomite nosocomial infections, but you have to then be sure to wash/purell the exposed part of your arm every time, else your skin is creating the same end result, while increasing your chances of catching something too.

Just curious, do most of you guys wear watches?
I actually have a "clinic watch" which gets alcohol'd down, and a nice watch for all other times.

As DeadCactus mentioned, the original purpose of white coats was to look scientific. The original reason scientists wore them was to not splash face-melting acid on themselves, among other things. You generally take your white coat off for procedures for better maneuverability, and ease of using a disposable or sterile gown.

why is this a post, and why are ppl responding;. anal retentives unite!

Hi. You must be new here. Welcome to the internet. People waste time talking about random things here.

Reading a few of the neurotic appearance during 3rd year threads got me curious. Seems like rolling up the sleeves on your dress shirt and/or white coat would be much more sanitary. Curious what the gods of MS3 faux pauxs think...

I roll 'em. I feel like it's a girl thing to do!

I prefer to wear my sleeveless white coat