Short-term options between graduation and internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrinkWater95

Sydney c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’ll be graduating from Sydney in December 2022. I am heavily considering specializing afterwards, but that gives me about 6 months of down time.

I’m curious about relief vet work, but I know most of these jobs will require you to work alone - which I don’t want to do as a new grad. Can anyone shed light if this is a misconception (i.e. there are plenty of relief vet work options where you work with other vets)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do during those 6 months to earn experience and money?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn’t want to hire a new grad for relief before they start their first real job. Someone even 6 months out, I’d consider. But not if they’ve never worked anywhere as a practicing clinician yet.

but I’ve known a ton of Rossies that graduated at odd times of the year, and a number of them were able to find cool opportunities at academic facilities to fill their time between graduation and start of their internship, sorta like an internship pregame. So might be worthwhile to reach out when the time gets closer.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on where you're at financially ... I'd consider taking a significant vacation (even if it's a stay-at-home type of deal to conserve funds). Odds are fairly good (esp if you're thinking specialty) that you may not get one for a long while. Rest up. Get recuperated.

If it's not financially viable then obviously ... gotta look for work. But if it is, that'd be my strong recommendation.

Reactions: 3 users
Depending on where you're at financially ... I'd consider taking a significant vacation (even if it's a stay-at-home type of deal to conserve funds). Odds are fairly good (esp if you're thinking specialty) that you may not get one for a long while. Rest up. Get recuperated.

If it's not financially viable then obviously ... gotta look for work. But if it is, that'd be my strong recommendation.
Thank you for the response. I can technically afford it but wanted to get some practice under my belt so I don’t feel stagnant for that 6 months.